Regal Princess - Which cabin to choose?

Denverite

I'm looking at the Regal Princess TA for next September. We like cabins toward the aft, although have never had a true aft cabin. I wanted to book a deluxe balcony since they have the sofa instead of a chair. Currently the only deluxe balcony aft is a premium deluxe balcony, C-743 or D-730. There are a few others but they are, I think, mid-ship and I would prefer to be near the aft stairway. I have read about the soot issues on the Royal. Questions: Are the true aft cabin balconies covered? I couldn't really tell from the photos. It seems that most of the available cabins are on Caribe and Dolphin decks. I know Emerald Deck has some obstructed views, but wondering why most of the available cabins are on C and D? We may just opt for a regular balcony on Aloha or Baja but just researching to see if anyone has ideas. Thanks.

As the stern of the Royal/Regal is stepped, the balcony is not 100% covered.

I have no idea why the Caribe and Dolphin decks have many cabins available.

Regarding soot, is the cheaper fuel burned during a TA, outside the Emission Control Zone, more likely to cause soot? Maybe someone who has been on the Royal TA could tell us.

A final contribution....this annotated image that I did back in June 2013 showing a stern view taken from a much lower angle. You can really see how the aft facing balconies are or are not covered, and to what degree, by the deck above them. You can also see clearly in the above image that the two center-line, aft facing cabin balconies on Marina, Riviera, Aloha, and Caribe Decks are wider than their counterparts on the other decks. As Colo Cruiser mentioned, the two sister ships are identical in the cabin placement and numbering. Hopefully someone will bookmark this just in case this type of question comes up in the future, which no doubt it will. ;)

14872666270_2cd7b0871c_b.jpg

The above photos are helpful but it is hard to tell which deck provides greater overhead coverage. I am interested in booking an aft cabin on either the Riviera deck or the Dolphin deck. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2 decks, and if so, which has the greater coverage? Thanks for any help.

The above photos are helpful but it is hard to tell which deck provides greater overhead coverage. I am interested in booking an aft cabin on either the Riviera deck or the Dolphin deck. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2 decks, and if so, which has the greater coverage? Thanks for any help.

Yes, Baja and Dolphin are half covered, half open.

The other decks have a very minimal (less than a foot) covering.

DEFINITELY go for Dolphin! :D

Does anyone know what the obstruction on Emerald deck balcony cabins are. The cabins aft of the aft staircase don't have lifeboats in front of them so I'm curious before booking one.

da

The lifeboats are at foot/floor level and extend out in front of the balcony.

Some have davits and machinery that extend up to eye level.

Here is a link to photos....

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

Edited by Colo Cruiser

On the Royal TA, we had Caribe Deck. In pics above it is 41. Soot made the uncovered balcony unusable.:( The size was fine, but could not sit out there to enjoy. We did get moved half way thru the cruise (thanks Princess) to Dolphin forward with the smalllll balcony, but at least you could sit out there.

Hopefully this helps both you and Hunky.:)

Northender, what part of Maine you from. I was born and raised in Farmington, we are going on the Regal Nov.16th and I booked a balcony with obstructed view as the had specials on them. Was on here looking for picture of the obstruction. This is our 6th cruise so was hoping for an upgrade. We have E605

Does anyone know what the obstruction on Emerald deck balcony cabins are. The cabins aft of the aft staircase don't have lifeboats in front of them so I'm curious before booking one.

In E 701 next month. I think the view is slightly obstructed by downward view to the Promenade deck, not life boats or davits.

We had a Deluxe Balcony forward in Royal. We were pleased with the cabin & location, though there is a small amount of music from the Princess Theater.

Steve

We will have L201 which is forward deluxe, anywhere near your cabin? Just wondering about the cabin, cannot find any search results of anyone having this cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking for 15 days TA next year (the longest cruise for us ever!:)

Would like to have fully covered mid-ship unobstructed balcony on Regal Princess. I'm trying to read the reviews but can't figure out which deck has these balconies.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Aldeya

We are looking for 15 days TA next year (the longest cruise for us ever!:)

Would like to have fully covered mid-ship unobstructed balcony on Regal Princess. I'm trying to read the reviews but can't figure out which deck has these balconies.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi - have you checked the online deck plans?

All mid-ship balconies are fully covered. Dolphin Deck has some Regular Balcony staterooms and Deluxe Balcony staterooms with the larger extended balconies.

Some mid-ship staterooms on Rivera, Aloha, Baja and Caribe are mini-suites and some of these have the extended balconies.

Some mid-ship staterooms on the starboard side will be under the SeaWalk - the upper decks have some privacy issues. Some mid-ship staterooms on the port side are under the SeaView Bar.

Emerald Deck has obstructed balconies.

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/gp/staterooms/#.VBu05v10yos

Enjoy your TA.

Hi - have you checked the online deck plans?

All mid-ship balconies are fully covered. Dolphin Deck has some Regular Balcony staterooms and Deluxe Balcony staterooms with the larger extended balconies.

Some mid-ship staterooms on Rivera, Aloha, Baja and Caribe are mini-suites and some of these have the extended balconies.

Some mid-ship staterooms on the starboard side will be under the SeaWalk - the upper decks have some privacy issues. Some mid-ship staterooms on the port side are under the SeaView Bar.

Emerald Deck has obstructed balconies.

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/gp/staterooms/#.VBu05v10yos

Enjoy your TA.

Thank you so much!