Cruise Care doesn't cover airfare?

I'm also in the same boat;) as I planed to use CruiseCare on a cruise I booked on Brilliance in Dec 2013, Ok so far but ship sails June 2015 and it's now too late to purchase 3rd. party insurance/w a pre existing condition waiver. :mad:

Check Trip Insurance Store. They Offer a CSA Freestyle policy that covers pre-existing conditions if purchased by/within 24 hrs of final payment.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csa-travel-insurance-plan-details/

Check Trip Insurance Store. They Offer a CSA Freestyle policy that covers pre-existing conditions if purchased by/within 24 hrs of final payment.

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csa-travel-insurance-plan-details/

Thanks, I may use this. However it's triple the price of Cruise Care. I do have my own evacuation insurance & my medicare advantage plan does pay 50% of my medical expenses out of the US.

We buy Travel Safe because it is primary coverage. Don't have to fool with filing claims on insurance we know will not pay anything for travel (health, homeowner's etc). Last straw was when Allianz wanted us to file with our credit card company, and health insurance before filing with them. Instead of getting paid back in a few weeks it took months to get Allianz to cough up anything.

I just had to file a claim with Allianz for our flights that we had to cancel to Barcelona. Sent in all documentation and received a refund back for the entire amount spent on the non-refundable tickets that we purchased through Choice Air.

How about other providers that cover the entire gamut of the trip.

True, but you will pay a higher amount when you include air and cruise together. Plus, 3rd party insurance usually will go by age of travelers whereas CruiseCare goes by total cruisefare.

We take out Cruise Care for the Cruise fare portion. If we have to cancel prior to final, like we had to for our recent Barcelona trip, we receive our complete deposit back from RCI and Allianz refund us back the total amount of our airfare.

Edited by cruisenfever

My sister who travels all over the world just informed me she always uses Travel Guard and they have a lot of options depending on what you need.

Ours came out to $150 a piece for the gold coverage for our 8 day cruise plus airfare. Not bad at all :)

Directly through Allianz. It usually comes up after I book our flights on-line through the airline's website. If not, I just call them.

Just to clarify...the insurance that pops up (Allianz) when I book a flight on Delta is only going to cover the flight, not the cruise. Is this correct?

I have purchased travel insurance with Allianz through Insuremytrip. It covered the flights and the cruise both.

So what I am wondering is what the advantage would be to buy it on the Delta website when I book my flight?

Also we bought insurance from Allianz when we went to an all-inclusive resort in Aruba last May. My sister got sick and the hotel called a doctor who came to the hotel to see her in her room. She got a prescription for antibiotics. When we returned home she filed a claim and Allianz refunded the doctors fee plus the prescription plus the cab fare to get to a pharmacy to have the prescription filled. They were very prompt with the refund so we are pleased with Allianz.

We have always used cruise care in the past. I called Royal today on my upcoming cruise, even though we booked our cruise before the June 2nd date we do not have air fare covered. As Bob said earlier we didn't pay for it then ,we just had our deposit. So when I put the cost of the trip for third party insurance, do I just figure the cruise cost without tax and port charges and air fare without taxes and fees? If I am looking at this correctly it will cost me $30 more for way more med. and evacuation.

We have always used cruise care in the past. I called Royal today on my upcoming cruise, even though we booked our cruise before the June 2nd date we do not have air fare covered. As Bob said earlier we didn't pay for it then ,we just had our deposit. So when I put the cost of the trip for third party insurance, do I just figure the cruise cost without tax and port charges and air fare without taxes and fees? If I am looking at this correctly it will cost me $30 more for way more med. and evacuation.

I would exclude the taxes and port charges on the cruise, but I would include the taxes on the air because those would not be refunded.

Glad I saw this thread as I knew nothing about the change! The way I read it on the website is that if you purchased a cruise prior to June 2, 2014, the old insurance policy still applies. I purchased a cruise on Indy for Jan. 11, 2015 back in May or June of 2013. And I bought the Cruise Care for that cruise on June 22, 2014. Does this mean the old insurance covering independent air will apply? Also did the Cruise Care rate change with this loss of coverage?

Edited by 39august

I would exclude the taxes and port charges on the cruise, but I would include the taxes on the air because those would not be refunded.

Thanks Bob, I haven't booked my air yet so I guess I will wait on that. I will have to call and talk with a live person, many places talk about getting the coverage within a 15 day window of booking ,I am way past that. I have also read about a 180 day look back. We don't have any pre existing conditions thankfully, but I would like to be sure on those terms.

I'm also in the same boat;) as I planed to use CruiseCare on a cruise I booked on Brilliance in Dec 2013, Ok so far but ship sails June 2015 and it's now too late to purchase 3rd. party insurance/w a pre existing condition waiver. :mad:

Hello Flacruiser99, As others have mentioned, you can still get the preexisting condition waiver with some of the companies. We always use insuremytrip to find our insurance, and compare the different policies. We usually buy it as soon as we make a deposit, but for our Allure cruise last November, we didn't buy the insurance until right before final payment. We chose HTH Trip Protector. It covered the preexisting, and was primary insurance. And yes, it did cost a good bit more than if we had purchased it more promptly.

Sure glad to have had it, as hubby passed out during dinner on-board, and had to be taken to the medical center on the ship (I was quite impressed with the facility, and the care he received there, BTW) Royal charged the entire amount for the medical bill to our on board account, which in turn charged it to our card. We called HTH as soon as we were home, and submitted the claim, which they paid in full, and very quickly. We were very pleased with their service.

Just to clarify...the insurance that pops up (Allianz) when I book a flight on Delta is only going to cover the flight, not the cruise. Is this correct?

I have purchased travel insurance with Allianz through Insuremytrip. It covered the flights and the cruise both.

So what I am wondering is what the advantage would be to buy it on the Delta website when I book my flight?

Also we bought insurance from Allianz when we went to an all-inclusive resort in Aruba last May. My sister got sick and the hotel called a doctor who came to the hotel to see her in her room. She got a prescription for antibiotics. When we returned home she filed a claim and Allianz refunded the doctors fee plus the prescription plus the cab fare to get to a pharmacy to have the prescription filled. They were very prompt with the refund so we are pleased with Allianz.

Yes, your flight is all that is covered. You would have to take out separate insurance for that.

When you do a third party insurance, you only include your cruise fare less any discounts you might have received from RCI, like balcony etc.

You do not include port taxes and fees, prepaid gratuities, beverage package or Specialty Restaurants. That will all be refunded back to you from RCI.

When filing a claim after final payment, RCI will refund you what I have noted above as well as a certain percentage based on the number of days to your original departure date.

When all refunds have been received from RCI, then that is the amount you will subtract from your total Confirmation Invoice and claim on your insurance.

I just had to file a claim with Allianz for our flights that we had to cancel to Barcelona. Sent in all documentation and received a refund back for the entire amount spent on the non-refundable tickets that we purchased through Choice Air.

True, but you will pay a higher amount when you include air and cruise together. Plus, 3rd party insurance usually will go by age of travelers whereas CruiseCare goes by total cruisefare.

We take out Cruise Care for the Cruise fare portion. If we have to cancel prior to final, like we had to for our recent Barcelona trip, we receive our complete deposit back from RCI and Allianz refund us back the total amount of our airfare.

I understand that, but the hassle of filing, in case, with multiple providers. Overall, the cost should be about the same because as it ahs been stated Cruise Care does not cover air fare. Ps. Do you know why they dropped air coverage.

I understand that, but the hassle of filing, in case, with multiple providers. Overall, the cost should be about the same because as it ahs been stated Cruise Care does not cover air fare. Ps. Do you know why they dropped air coverage.

My guess would be they make more money without having to cover air.

When you talking $$,$$$.$$ for both cruise and air.......you bet I'll file as many claims as is needed to get our money back!

We just purchased this last month and it says it is covered... I bought it based on what it says

CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program

provides coverage for independently booked air, accident and sickness medical benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much more.

So that's what was being offered when we purchased, I wonder if we are still covered. Guess I need to call now. Wonder if they'll lower the price since they lowered the coverage.

Edited by StarSong2001

We just purchased this last month and it says it is covered... I bought it based on what it says

CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program

provides coverage for independently booked air, accident and sickness medical benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much more.

So that's what was being offered when we purchased, I wonder if we are still covered. Guess I need to call now. Wonder if they'll lower the price since they lowered the coverage.

Did you actually pay for it, or just add it to your cruise? In other words, you have not purchased unless you specifically call them and ask to pay for insurance. If it's just on the invoice, but not paid for, then it's not in effect.

Did you actually pay for it, or just add it to your cruise? In other words, you have not purchased unless you specifically call them and ask to pay for insurance. If it's just on the invoice, but not paid for, then it's not in effect.

Paid for.

When booking air independently, we always use Allianz. Have been very pleased with them.

Glad to hear that. :)

So, let me see if I understand correctly and to clarify. For cruises and cruise care insurance booked prior to the change date of June ____, 2014, we are covered for independently-booked and paid-for air. If we have a cruise that is too far in the future to book an independent flight, we will not be covered when we book that flight? :confused:

Glad to hear that. :)

So, let me see if I understand correctly and to clarify. For cruises and cruise care insurance booked prior to the change date of June ____, 2014, we are covered for independently-booked and paid-for air. If we have a cruise that is too far in the future to book an independent flight, we will not be covered when we book that flight? :confused:

Yes, as mentioned above, you had to have purchased the air before the June date to be covered.