Which would you choose?

Jhondy210

I'm trying to decide on a cruise for February for mine and my fiance's honeymoon. Due to our jobs we have a very limited time frame we can go. I have been on many cruises before including RCCL Oasis of the Seas, RCCL Radiance of the Seas, and Disney Magic. I thought the Oasis was cool but I didn't like that I hardly ever saw the ocean when I was on the ship. Radiance was nice but not a lot to do on ship. As for Disney Magic, I love Disney. My fiancé has never been on a cruise. He also has already said no Disney ship. So, I've narrowed it down to four possible ships. Which one would you choose and why?

Norwegian Epic

Norwegian Dawn

RCCL Freedom of the Seas

RCCL Allure of the Seas

I want a cruise that we can relax on and have many things to do. I don't want the ship to feel overly crowded. I'm 28 and he is 35 and we aren't the type to stay up all night partying but we would like to have the option for late night drinks or snacks if we chose.

The ship is really important to me and is more important than the ports but if all else is equal then I would look at the ports. The Norwegian cruise has ports I've never been too and the RCCL has the generic St. Thomas and St. Maarten ports.

You will feel the same about Allure as you felt on Oasis...I too love the Radiance class...but really enjoy the Freedom class ships...lot's to do and just the right size...it's my adult (29-35) children and their spouses and girlfriends favorite ship.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, but I would try the Norwegian ships for a change of pace. Nice layout, relaxed atmosphere and you get the chance to visit new ports of call. I will also second LuLu's suggestion that you consider getting a balcony cabin (no matter which ship you choose). You won't miss any of the beautiful oceans views that way.

Thanks for all the replies. We definitely plan on getting a balcony room and depending on price possibly doing a suite but that's just a maybe.

Originally we had decided to do the allure but I became hesitant because of the Oasis. As a side note, we also had a bumpy start to the Oasis cause we missed the ship so we made it to the ship halfway through the cruise. So, I'm trying to determine if my view of the ship is because of the issues at the beginning or because of the ship. I didn't like that you couldn't see the ocean but I also thought the ship felt crowded.We went when the Oasis was new so I think they were still working out the kinks. However, I know there are some interesting parts of the ship that no other ship has.

Norwegian intrigues me because I've never been on the Norwegian before. My worry is since this will be his first cruise, I want to make sure that I pick a cruise that he will enjoy so that in the future he will still want to go on a cruise.

I would choose the Epic for sure! We've been on the Epic 3 times - currently our favorite ship. We like it better than the Allure. There is soooo much to see and do on this ship. The entertainment is the best (imho).

Read that some balconies on the Epic were quite small, I would choose Allure or Freedom.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

We were on Freedom of the Seas this spring and loved every minute. There were 4200 passengers on it but we NEVER felt crowded at all. (Our 1st cruise in 1985 had 800 passengers and we LOVE smaller ships!) We were the only ones during the day back by the flow rider and past Johnny Rockets. The buffet had different stations so there really weren't lines. They have the Flow rider- surfing on land and a tall climbing wall. WE are both 70 and LOVED the flow rider! I did it 7 times, learned to start on my knees and would go back on a ship because of this!

The promenade is inside, lots of shops and there was a huge party along it with music and dancing but only one night. You can get an inside cabin overlooking the promenade! There were tons of people there but every one was having fun!

So, I'd say the Freedom.

We do not like NCL at all. Went on her this spring and still don't like her!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Epic has funky bathroom set-up. Just be aware that you are okay with that level of familiarity on your honeymoon. You might really like it, or you might prefer more modesty so do check that out before you book.

Allure is obviously like Oasis and you are aware of that. It is very young family oriented and usually has a lot of children. As seniors we went and had a great time, but there is not a lot of romance to it.

I've never been on Freedom but I have been on Voyager class ships and there is a lot more outdoor space. the walks around the promenade and the other outside areas of the ship, especially in the early morning and the evening are very romantic. The place you get that on Allure will be Central Park, but it is not the same as standing by the rail and watching the ocean go by. Of course you will have a balcony. Tons of activities to keep you busy for a week.

I've never been on Norwegian Dawn.

I vote for Freedom.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Good choice of a cruise for your honeymoon to relax and have the activities come to you.

Thanks for all the advice. I think we are leaning towards freedom of the seas. The NCL Epic looked cool but I was worried about the reviews that I read about the smell of smoke in many areas. We aren't smokers and I prefer not to be walking through smoke filled areas on a regular basis. I don't remember anywhere on RCCL smelling like smoke on the many cruises I've taken.

Allure was a close second choice but freedom is 1000 dollars cheaper. I really want to try the Flowrider. I didn't get to try it when we were on the Oasis. I also like that Freedom has a boxing ring. I do martial arts so I liked that there looked to be heavy weight bags on the ship that I may be able to use.

Now we just have to agree on itinerary. He wants to do the Port Canaveral, CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Martin itinerary and I want to do the Port Canaveral, Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Mexico itinerary. The latter seems to have better excursions while St. Thomas and St. Martin itinerary seem to be mainly snorkeling and beach excursions. I don't know how to swim so excursions focused around water aren't for me.

Freedom is an excellent choice! It leaves from Port Canaveral so just go there a day or two before sailing. Then you can easily do Cape Canaveral.

In Laberdee, Haiti there is a long Zip line, lots of vendors and a big beach.

In Grand Cayman go with Capt. Marvin- not the ship- for Sting Ray City. You stand in maybe shoulder high water if that deep, and you feed the sting rays. They are so peaceful and gentle. They have no teeth and mouth is under their body. They suck their food in.

In Jamaica go to Dunn's river falls. Everyone climbs the falls, so much fun. Make sure you take an under water throw a way camera with you.

When you said Mexican itinerary do you mean Cozumel? You can go to Chankanaub. This is a natural park with dolphins. You can swim with the dolphins or just watch this which is fun to do, They have restaurants, a big beach, museum, and a spot where you look over the water and see the colorful fish.

You do not need to swim to snorkel! Everyone must wear a vest and I have seen people holding on the a noodle as they snorkel wearing their vest. They have their face, in a mask watching the fish below them. Just tell the guide you don't swim and they will help you! Beware, once you snorkel, you'll be hooked like we were!

You can Google every place I've named. Do that and you'll see why I recommend this tours.

Edited by Bonnie J.