How close to cruise did you have to cancel?

I'm wondering if any of you ever had to cancel your cruise and if so how close were you to sail date. We were to sail 9/11/14 and my husband had his hip "act up". By that I mean he is in such discomfort he cannot stand or walk for long periods of time. He is walking with a cane and afraid of falling. He is a young 74 but still 74!! After much thought he decided it best to cancel our cruise. We booked this cruise through our travel agent and he has a group going. We purchased the RCI insurance and hopefully they will compensate us in some manner.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?? And if you had insurance what compensation did you receive??

Thank you for your reply. I'm certain hip replacement is in the very near future.

Carol

I'm wondering if any of you ever had to cancel your cruise and if so how close were you to sail date. We were to sail 9/11/14 and my husband had his hip "act up". By that I mean he is in such discomfort he cannot stand or walk for long periods of time. He is walking with a cane and afraid of falling. He is a young 74 but still 74!! After much thought he decided it best to cancel our cruise. We booked this cruise through our travel agent and he has a group going. We purchased the RCI insurance and hopefully they will compensate us in some manner.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?? And if you had insurance what compensation did you receive??

Thank you for your reply. I'm certain hip replacement is in the very near future.

Carol

Cancellation policies: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

You need to determine how much will be refunded by the cruise line. So it is less than 14 days away. You will only receive a refund of taxes and fees paid. If your husband's doctor determines he is unfit to travel and completes the insurance paperwork, you will receive a refund of the rest of the monies paid under "covered reasons".

If you don't have physician support, it will fall under "cancel for any reason" and you will receive a voucher for 75% of the non-refundable amount to be used within one year.

You should check the cruise care policy for specifics. Cruise Care policy: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V2.pdf

Edited by Coralc

We had to cancel our cruise, couple days before!

We called the insurance right away; got the claim number and the paperwork came within few days! We needed to have the doc fill the medical reason! Sent back and with less then a month we got all our money back, minus the insurance amount!!!

Good luck and hope that your husband will feel better soon!!!

Sent with my iPhone

Carol

Carol, so sorry to hear about your husband's ailment. I do wish him the best.

Last October we were scheduled to leave for Barcelona on October 6th for our October 10th b2b on Serenade. On October 3rd in the wee dark hours, I had to take my husband to the ER where he was immediately admitted for pancreatitis caused by gallstones. Needless to say we had to cancel both cruises along with Choice Air.

The amount that RCI refunded us which included our port taxes and fees, prepaid gratuities and the percentage from when we canceled to departure date, was refunded back to our CC within 5 days. I totaled this amount and subtracted it from the our total invoice, included our Choice Air, and that was the amount used on the claim to Cruise Care.

When all was said and done we were refunded everything less the cost of the insurance paid per cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were supposed go on the Freedom tomorrow (Aug. 31st) but had to cancel because my girlfriend went to the hospital on August 8th and was there for 11 days. I canceled on the 18th and am now waiting (and hoping) for the refund to come back from the travel insurance company.

The total cruise cost was $2098. Royal reimbursed us $400 so hopefully the insurance company gives us the remaining $1698.

What I am worried about is that the doctor advised us to cancel the trip on August 8th and because everything was so hectic (and scary) I was not able to cancel until the 18th.

Does anyone think the insurance company will give us a hard time since the doctor told us to cancel over 14 days before sailing but I was not able to file the claim until under 14 days?

We were supposed go on the Freedom tomorrow (Aug. 31st) but had to cancel because my girlfriend went to the hospital on August 8th and was there for 11 days. I canceled on the 18th and am now waiting (and hoping) for the refund to come back from the travel insurance company.

The total cruise cost was $2098. Royal reimbursed us $400 so hopefully the insurance company gives us the remaining $1698.

What I am worried about is that the doctor advised us to cancel the trip on August 8th and because everything was so hectic (and scary) I was not able to cancel until the 18th.

Does anyone think the insurance company will give us a hard time since the doctor told us to cancel over 14 days before sailing but I was not able to file the claim until under 14 days?

I think you will be OK. The only possible hassle would be for 25% of the cruise fare because if you would have cancelled over 14 days out, you would have gotten 25% back.

OP - An Alternative to canceling is to contact Special Needs at Sea and rent your husband a scooter. They will have it waiting in your cabin for you when you board and when you leave at the end of the cruise you leave it in the cabin.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

Edited by Trainman-2

Not us but by parents had to cancel their last 2 cruises the day of departure. Both times they got food poisoning at dinner the night before. Once in Port Canaveral and once in Quebec City. Insurance covered everything.

Wow.... talk about lighting striking twice. So sorry for them!

2 years ago I had a cruise planned with my Sister, Mother and Aunt. 3 days before my flight my FIL passed away suddenly. Since it was a 3 night cruise, I had opted not to get insurance.

My TA called Royal and explained the situation. We didn't expect anything (other than tips, taxes and port fees) back. The gentleman on Royals end heard the story and refunded me the entire cruise fare. He also did not charge the single supplement to my sister who I was supposed to room with for the cruise. We were completely dumbfounded at the act of compassion by Royal.

Like I said we never expected anything other than tips, taxes and port fees back. But once again Royal went above and beyond and helped out during the difficult time!

Thanks to all of you that responded to my post. An update on DH. He is in the hospital awaiting hip surgery scheduled for Wed. He had been in terrible pain for the last week that is the reason we cancelled the cruise. We never thought that he had a hip fracture!! After suffering for that length of time we went to the ER yesterday morning.

We have insurance and our TA said he will help with the paperwork. Our Doctor will write a letter stating all the information.

Thanks again.

Carol

Depends if medical issue is a result of a pre-exiting condition and if your coverage includes pre-existing conditions or not. No on this forum can say for certain.

Thanks to all of you that responded to my post. An update on DH. He is in the hospital awaiting hip surgery scheduled for Wed. He had been in terrible pain for the last week that is the reason we cancelled the cruise. We never thought that he had a hip fracture!! After suffering for that length of time we went to the ER yesterday morning.

We have insurance and our TA said he will help with the paperwork. Our Doctor will write a letter stating all the information.

Thanks again.

Carol

Best of luck with the surgery. With a bit of hard work, he will up and cruising before you know it!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app