"Dress or skirt" only in one Dining Room?

GeezerCouple

I'm just reading the "Dress Code" for the Dawn, from scans of the Dailies that are not very old.

It states that for the Aft main dining room or Le Bistro: "For women dress/skirt and top".

Can they seriously mean that women cannot wear nice slacks there?

(This sounds like something out of the 1960's, when women in slacks were banned from nicer restaurants, or banned altogether from some clubs, etc.)

There is mention of "jeans or slacks", but the spacing of the wording then makes it seem this is just for men, given what follows "For women".

I assume I am mis-reading this... :confused:

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

Following is copy and pasted from NCL site - found this in the Frequently Asked Questions section. I bolded the part that responds directly to what you were questioning.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

I remember seeing what you saw on the back of one of the dailys and thinking that it should really be updated. __________________

I'm just reading the "Dress Code" for the Dawn, from scans of the Dailies that are not very old.

It states that for the Aft main dining room or Le Bistro: "For women dress/skirt and top".

Can they seriously mean that women cannot wear nice slacks there?

(This sounds like something out of the 1960's, when women in slacks were banned from nicer restaurants, or banned altogether from some clubs, etc.)

There is mention of "jeans or slacks", but the spacing of the wording then makes it seem this is just for men, given what follows "For women".

I assume I am mis-reading this... :confused:

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

Yes, you are mis-reading it. I do not own a skirt or dress and have not worn one for years.

Following is copy and pasted from NCL site - found this in the Frequently Asked Questions section. I bolded the part that responds directly to what you were questioning.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

I remember seeing what you saw on the back of one of the dailys and thinking that it should really be updated. __________________

Thanks!

I'm glad you questioned that bit on the daily, too.

"... should really be updated" is a bit of an understatement. :)

However long has it been since that requirement was truly intended?

I sort of did a double take when I read that, because everything else that I came across on the NCL website - and also, importantly, here on CruiseCritic about recent actual experiences - indicated that nice slacks were absolutely *fine* for women in those two dining venues.

(Not to mention it's a great time to first state that AFTER someone has boarded, rather than being clear on the website before people have packed :rolleyes:)

I haven't thought through everything I'll be bringing, but wanted to double check before the final packing.

Thanks very much.

GeezerCouple

Just returned from a cruise on the Getaway and women wore a variety of clothing styles in the MDR. Nice capris, slacks, skirts, or dresses are fine.

We did see one man who was "invited" to remove his fishing hat and put a button up shirt over his tank top in the MDR.

Thanks.

Then NCL should stop printing that requirement in the dailies they hand out on board the ship, to avoid confusion and stop wasting people's time on forums like this.

Not sure why NCL bothers. :confused:

At worst, printing requirements NCL does NOT expect anyone to follow would lead people to disregard more of what NCL states.

(If this particular statement is very old, which seems likely, surely NCL has had time to edit the dailies since then...?)

GeezerCouple

We also noticed that "skirt/dress" requirement when on the Getaway recently. We were about to head down to Le Bistro. I asked and was told that requirement was not at all correct. Slacks and such were just fine for women. First time I had ever seen it...or noticed it anyhow.