Our Divina Cruise, the good and the bad

Giantfan13

Though I realize this thread has gone totally off topic, I'll publicly apologize to GiantFan if I have offended,

But I'm still unable to understand why trying to keep kosher REQUIRES not eating meat. Seriously, I'm asking to be educated.

Why can't someone who is trying to keep kosher eat a grilled chicken breast with vegies on the side? No dairy on the plate.

Because they DO NOT EAT MEAT !!!

Gee,what is so hard to understand???:rolleyes:

We had fish in YC dining room on the Divina.

Yes, the fish was dry.

Overall food in Le Muse DR was good to very good. I rank it between MDR and a specialty reastaurant on a good cruise ship.

YCFood_zps078264c8.jpg~original

This fish is from buffet on a different cruise ship we cruised before the Divina.

Juicy, yummy!

Fish_zps9e9310dd.jpg~original

Edited by cruisetrail

It's not hard to undestand at all. Except when you add that they

1. Want to keep kosher.

2. Evidently don't inform the cruise line of their special food requirements prior to departure.

3. Never advise the maitre de on the ship of their special food requirements,

4. Expect mass produced food for 3500+ people to cater to TWO special requests for TWO passengers - kosher AND vegetarian.

I'm having trouble understanding how fish is not a meat. :/

I'm not trying to be smart, I honestly don't understand the distinction. Both involve eating the cooked muscles of a formerly living creature - one land based and one aquatic. What is the difference? Or is it a religious thing and thus something that just 'is'.

Please ignore if this is off topic but I am honestly open to being educated about different practices and why people do what they do. Its one way of making sense of something that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

I'm having trouble understanding how fish is not a meat. :/

I'm not trying to be smart, I honestly don't understand the distinction. Both involve eating the cooked muscles of a formerly living creature - one land based and one aquatic. What is the difference? Or is it a religious thing and thus something that just 'is'.

It's not hard to undestand at all. Except when you add that they

1. Want to keep kosher.

2. Evidently don't inform the cruise line of their special food requirements prior to departure.

3. Never advise the maitre de on the ship of their special food requirements,

4. Expect mass produced food for 3500+ people to cater to TWO special requests for TWO passengers - kosher AND vegetarian.

I will attempt to explain:

Kosher is religion. "god said so" that is the bottom line. OP tries as best he can in a way he decided to practice to follow laws of kosher.

Meat equals mammal. Fish swims and has scales and fins. Lobster, shrimp, clams etc prohibited.

If it is meat, it must be a permissible meat. Pigs and horses NG. The it must be properly slaughtered and prepared.

Fish (scales and fins) does not have slaughter requirements. Take it out of water, you can eat it.

As to informing cruise line. They did not ask for special treatment or special food. Salmon, mahi, tuna etc is no problem. So what is it they should inform MSC about?

As I wrote in a separate post, MSC has conflicting statements online when it comes to pre-packaged kosher meat meals. I further stated that since the ship on Saturday, few orthodox jews will be aboard.

So, they were happy with mass produced food on the menu. They had only one requirement. "It Be EDIBLE"

Please explain why that is so hard to understand (last line is NOT directed at Kat)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IJustWantToGo36 viewpost.gif

Can you explain Experiences please?

The best thing for me to do is cut and paste from this link

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/ne...ategories.aspx

but I'll have to do it in 4 posts because of the limit on images per post

Each type of Cabin (inside, OV, Balcony) will come in 1 of 2 or 3 catagories

BELLA (very basic services, eg NO bed turn down NO FREE breakfast from room service)

FANTASTICA (Normal services you expect now)

AUREA ( normal + Alegrissimo and 1 spa treatment some priorities) NOT available on inside cabins

From the web site on the link above

We believe that life should be measured in moments. And those moments should be savoured

So when you book a holiday with MSC Cruises, we invite you to think not just about the kind of cabin or suite you prefer but also about the kind of cruise experience you desire. Do you want to keep things simple? Are comfort and flexibility your main goals? Is your dream cruise all about relaxation and pampering? Or privacy and exclusivity?

Starting from Winter 2014-15, each of our new fare categories offers not only a different choice of accommodation but also a different set of onboard 'Experiences' to enrich your cruise. Whichever option you choose, it will open the door to a world of possibilities. And an ocean of special moments to savour.

bellaImage_tcm13-77914.jpg

Experience a dream cruise with the people who know the seas better than anyone. ‘Bella’ fares are a great-value way to enjoy the comforts of life on board an elegant, modern cruise ship. Relax in a well-appointed cabin and savour the wide variety of superb specialities on board, with the opportunity to request your preferred dinner sitting. What’s more, you can spoil yourself with the delights of a gourmet buffet that’s open 20 hours a day. Enjoy West End style entertainment and a packed programme of daily activities organised by our multilingual team of friendly personnel. Take advantage of the pool, cutting-edge panoramic gym and open-air sports facilities to stay in shape. And earn MSC Club points, so you can enjoy even more benefits on your next cruise!

COMFORT

• Dream cruises on board modern ships with the Masters of the sea
  • Elegant cabins equipped with every convenience

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

• Premium 20-hours-a-day buffet (gourmet menu for every moment of the day)

· Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Broadway-style theatre shows available almost every day
  • Pool area
  • Open-air sports facilities (Power Walking Track, Basketball…)

• Extremely well-equipped gym with panoramic view
  • Entertainment activities
  • Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs)

SERVICES

• Qualified multilingual personnel

FLEXIBILITY

• Preference of cabin* (subject to availability)
  • Choice of dinner seating (subject to availability)

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

*For further details, please refer to the Terms and Conditions

Edited by Skier52

fantasticaImage_tcm13-77915.jpg

Savour the Mediterranean way of life with a cruise dedicated to comfort and flexibility. Our ‘Fantastica’ fares offer all the benefits of ‘Bella’ plus a variety of extra privileges. Choose from prestigious cabins (including SuperFamily cabins where available) located on the upper decks, with rapid access to lifts and lounges. Make use of the freedom to change your booking details if necessary, including passenger names and departure dates: even cancellation is flexible. Enjoy 24-hour-a-day room service with free delivery and priority choice of dining times in our gourmet restaurants and the extra goodnight pampering of our Turndown service preparing your bed for the night. Have fun with dedicated activities for children, like foreign language games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our staff. And don’t forget those MSC Club points!

COMFORT

• Superior comfort ensured by free 24-hour room service (delivery is free)
  • Breakfast in your cabin (delivery + breakfast are free)

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

• Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Pool area
  • 50% discount on fitness classes (e.g. yoga) and personal trainer (subject to availability)
  • Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs…)

• Recreational activities for children: foreign language learning games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our onboard staff (subject to availability)

SERVICES

FLEXIBILITY

• Opportunity to choose among the best cabins available
  • Maximum flexibility in booking** (changing passenger name, changing dates)
  • Opportunity to book a Super-Family cabin for the whole family (where this cabin type is available)
  • Choice of dinner seating (subject to availability)
  • Priority in choice of dinner seating

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

*For further details, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

**For more detailed information, please refer to our Terms and Conditions

aureaImage_tcm13-77916.jpg

Put well-being, pampering and peace of mind at the heart of your cruise. In addition to all the features of ‘Bella’ and ‘Fantastica’, our ‘Aurea’ fares offer a series of relaxing benefits for both body and mind. Priority boarding means you’ll soon be relaxing in an elegant cabin where you’ll find a set of free wellbeing products as well as a complimentary bathrobe and slippers. Dine at the time of your choice in a reserved area of the restaurant and enjoy 24-hour unlimited drinks*. Improve your tan as you bask on an exclusive – adults only - private sun deck. Best of all, take advantage of a fantastic spa package including a spa welcome cocktail, one massage of your choice from the spa menu, tanning shower, private medical consultation with spa Doctor and unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout your cruise. Set sail for pure relaxation.

COMFORT

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

• Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes
  • Unlimited drinks included (Allegrissimo! Package)

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Pool area
  • 50% discount on fitness classes (e.g. yoga) and personal trainer (subject to availability)
  • Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs…)
  • Recreational activities for children: foreign language learning games and Master Chef cooking sessions with our onboard staff (subject to availability)

RELAXATION & WELL BEING

• Wellbeing package including: Balinese massage, Solarium, welcome cocktail, access to Thermal Area throughout cruise

• Kit of wellbeing products (for face, hair and body) in each cabin
  • Relaxation amenities in each cabin (including bathrobe and slippers)

· Free access to the exclusive sun deck to enjoy the sun in complete tranquillity (available only for adults)

SERVICES

• Priority boarding & luggage service (only on embarkation day)

FLEXIBILITY

• Free time dining in a dedicated area of the restaurant

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

ycImage_tcm13-77917.jpg

The epitome of at sea, the MSC Yacht Club offers a cruise experience like no other. Lavishly appointed suites, an exclusive and a are only the start. in all MSC Yacht Club areas or from your minibar and e are just some of the other privileges. So, if you’re looking for exclusivity and privacy in a world of choice, the MSC Yacht Club is the ultimate solution.

COMFORT

• Lavishly fitted suites with ergonomic mattresses, fine sheets, pillow menu, marble bathroom, plasma TV, ample mini-bar, games console
  • Butler service available 24 hours

FOOD & DRINKS BENEFITS

· Wide variety of special restaurants serving Mediterranean and international dishes

· All-inclusive lunches and dinners in the private MSC Yacht Club restaurant

· Unlimited drinks in all MSC Yacht Club areas including the mini-bar in your cabin

SPORT & ACTIVITIES

• Pool area

· Open-air sports facilities (Power Walking Track, Basketball…)

· Entertainment for infants and children (Clubs)

RELAXATION & WELL BEING

• Relaxation amenities in each cabin (including bathrobe and slippers)
  • Direct private access to the MSC Aurea Spa

SERVICES

• Dedicated priority check-in and check-out
  • Entry to exclusive areas “The One Sun Deck” and “Top Sail Lounge”

· Dedicated concierge 24 hours a day

FLEXIBILITY

• Free time dining in a dedicated area of the restaurant

OTHER PRIVILEGES

• Earn MSC Club points

If you don't drink alot and pay $349 USD for a balcony for 7 days PP, there is no way to justify YC.

Budget conscious and retired means that they sail ONLY when the ship is giving rooms away.

They never give YC away.

Budget conscious means not wasting money.

I'm budget conscious ....but can well afford YC. However...since I don't drink, eat only at the buffet, forced myself to sit on the balcony when I had a suite...YC would be a complete waste of my $$$.

In addition...I love the darkness of inside rooms....great for sleeping.

I also work out of my apt (lots of alone time).so being "with the masses" is fun for me.

Since food quality is subjective, one person's inedible is another person's gourmet!:eek:

Go to any cruise line forum, and you'll find complaints about all the cruise line's with food, and cruise line cutbacks, etc.!

I think the suggestion for the OP made earlier in the comments, to pre-order a Kosher meal might be a good idea on any cruise line, cause we've cruised all the major lines and seafood is hit and miss on all of them! (in our opinion:D)

I remember getting an excellent piece of fish the first day we on the Allure, best we've ever had on a ship, then the fish was awful until the last day where it was fantastic again, so go figure!:eek:

I think the suggestion for the OP made earlier in the comments, to pre-order a Kosher meal might be a good idea on any cruise line, cause we've cruised all the major lines and seafood is hit and miss on all of them!

Best info I can find is that in 2011-2012 MSC charged $15/ day for kosher meals.

I think most other lines are no charge, but I really dont know.

http://www.msccruisesgetforms.com/SPECIAL_SERV_IND_FALL11_WIN12.pdf

Len, I meant no disrespect, but you Are now splitting hairs about the coffee being offered. I do not recall if we asked for coffee or it was something we asked for, but who really cares how it came about? I would suggest anyone new to MSC to understand that they are more laid back and not so much in your face service wise, but once asked it is gotten. Also, if you want something during dinner tell them you would like this daily. We love iced tea, and we make it a point to tell the waitstaff on night one that we want it each night.

As far as dancing, that is why I asked if you took advantage of this since you may not be able but on MSC the staff will dance with your wife so she can enjoy that activity. this is unique to MSC where staff engage with passengers.

Yes and Yes to eggplant and to lasagna. Both were fantastic and both were appetizers. The lasagna was made with fresh noodles that were melt in the mouth light. Maybe they changed the menus since Jan when we were on Divina.

Kosher style is eating any kind of meat that is deemed kosher and adhering to kosher laws of not mixing meat and milk. That would allow people to eat chicken and steak. BUT if people are strictly kosher meat is not meat. It must be raised , fed and slaughtered differently. A kosher chicken tastes different too, actually wonderful due to the salting and no blood found on the bones.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

Len, I meant no disrespect, but you Are now splitting hairs about the coffee being offered. I do not recall if we asked for coffee or it was something we asked for, but who really cares how it came about? I would suggest anyone new to MSC to understand that they are more laid back and not so much in your face service wise, but once asked it is gotten. Also, if you want something during dinner tell them you would like this daily. We love iced tea, and we make it a point to tell the waitstaff on night one that we want it each night.

As far as dancing, that is why I asked if you took advantage of this since you may not be able but on MSC the staff will dance with your wife so she can enjoy that activity. this is unique to MSC where staff engage with passengers.

Yes and Yes to eggplant and to lasagna. Both were fantastic and both were appetizers. The lasagna was made with fresh noodles that were melt in the mouth light. Maybe they changed the menus since Jan when we were on Divina.

Kosher style is eating any kind of meat that is deemed kosher and adhering to kosher laws of not mixing meat and milk. That would allow people to eat chicken and steak. BUT if people are strictly kosher meat is not meat. It must be raised , fed and slaughtered differently. A kosher chicken tastes different too, actually wonderful due to the salting and no blood found on the bones.

camofwilliamsburg, we totally agree with you about the service on Divina, our MDR waiter knew our names after the first night, and knew all our likes, from what type of bread, what drink we liked, and always asked when he saw an empty plate would you like another! And the 'in your face carnival peddling' the other cruise lines do isn't good service, its obnoxious behavior!:D

Maybe MSC's fish sucked, maybe it was just OK, but their shrimp were some of the best at sea, and you could order all you want!:D Like I said earlier here on this thread I haven't had a great piece of fish since we left New England!:D

A secret to those who want a faster dinner, order your whole dinner at the beginning instead of after each course, chew faster, and don't talk so much!:eek:

A secret to those who want a faster dinner, order your whole dinner at the beginning instead of after each course,

That is how I have always done it on other lines, except for dessert. I'll have the shrimp cocktail, the Caesar salad and the chicken.......is that not the way they do it on MSC? :confused:

That is how I have always done it on other lines, except for dessert. I'll have the shrimp cocktail, the Caesar salad and the chicken.......is that not the way they do it on MSC? :confused:

Yes,they do.I have never seen it done any different way. I don't know what is American Bear talking about:confused:.

We always order all the food, appetizers, soup, entrees all at one time. Then they bring out the dessert menu. The time waiting depends on your wait staff and the size table and how many course you all order . If you are at a table with people who are eating many courses you must ask the waiter to just bring your food out without waiting. If you have some place to go later on in he evening, you tell the waiter you want it to be served fast.

On our Oasis cruise I hated dinner service in the MDR... We ate way too fast, total time 45 minutes. No sooner were we chewing our last bit of food, the plates were whisked away and the next course served. It was horrible. I enjoy the slower service on MSC and I enjoy the food. We do eT late dining at if we need to go for a game or something at 10:30 we tell our waiter and he makes sure we are paced for that.

We always order all the food, appetizers, soup, entrees all at one time. Then they bring out the dessert menu. The time waiting depends on your wait staff and the size table and how many course you all order . If you are at a table with people who are eating many courses you must ask the waiter to just bring your food out without waiting. If you have some place to go later on in he evening, you tell the waiter you want it to be served fast.

THat's how it has always been done on the 11 MSC cruises i've been on Except DIVINA'S YC Le Muse.

Pete

Edited by Skier52