Glory MDR pay for food

jackparts

Just read a few reviews that said the Glory MDR menu had four pay for food items. Never saw that in March on the Fantasy. Something new for the Glory?

The Glory is a different class of ship than the Fantasy and therefore does have more to offer. But I can only think of 3 pay for food venues on the Glory, the steakhouse, the coffee/snack bar, and the Chef's table.

Edited by Out to sea!

Somebody just reported that that option is back one the menu on the Imagination.

These ships are testing the new menus. These have been tweaked continuously since their introduction.

Only for pay on the Fantasy would be coffee shop and Chef's Table. No idea if they've added the pay items on ships without the new menu.

Edited by SadieN

Following a successful pilot program that introduced select dishes from our steakhouse restaurants in the main dining rooms aboard four ships, Carnival Cruise Lines will roll out the new Steakhouse Selections fleetwide beginning the week of August 28, 2014.

The Steakhouse Selections, which are offered nightly, include a 1-1/2 pound Maine lobster, 9 oz. filet mignon, 14-oz. New York strip steak, and surf and turf (broiled Maine lobster tail and filet mignon). Steak offerings feature prime aged beef. The entrees are $20 each. The Steakhouse Selections augment the existing wide array of complimentary choices from our appetizer, entrée and dessert menus that are part of the main dining room offerings.

On our Glory vacation last week we ordered 3 items off the $20 selections. I got the lobster tail and filet. It was very good. My husband selected the whole lobster and enjoyed it! Our son ordered the NY and said it was the best steak of the week.

The Flat Iron Steak on the regular menu was ordered medium rare and came out well done. Our waiter, Sherwin, insisted our son order another item. He did. The filet with brisket, again on the regular menu, was just delcious ad cooked perfectly.

:)

I think this is perfect!

A) doesn't take anything away from the existing MDR menu

B) allows you to get a select couple items from the steakhouse without paying the full $$$ for it, especially if your DW/DH/SO didn't want to go to steakhouse

Hope they have this available on the Glory still in 30 days!

it's surprising to see this back again. they had this 'pilot' program a few years back, which apparently was NOT successful and i thought they shelved the idea. (or at least they DID for a few years). but whatever i'm all for 'OPTIONS'.

I thought it was shelved too, as it hasn't been spoken of in quite a while. Some people were complaining about paying for food in the MDR where it "was supposed to be free". What they did not understand was they were steak house offerings, without going to the steakhouse.

I think this is perfect!

A) doesn't take anything away from the existing MDR menu

B) allows you to get a select couple items from the steakhouse without paying the full $$$ for it, especially if your DW/DH/SO didn't want to go to steakhouse

I agree totally!!

I'm a Carnival cheerleader all the way, but I'm not a fan of this idea. I foresee a reduction in the variety of menu items and/or quality in order to entice diners into opting for the "Steakhouse Selections."

Of course, I could just be paranoid. :eek:

I know they say fleet wide, but is it being put on the ships that don't have the Steakhouse? We're sailing on the Fascination in a couple weeks, and had thought about finally trying out the steakhouse, but found they don't have one (bummer).

But also not sure I'd see myself paying simply for an item without the full package/venue that the steakhouse has. But as long as it doesn't lead to reduced regular options than it's good with me.

I know they say fleet wide, but is it being put on the ships that don't have the Steakhouse? We're sailing on the Fascination in a couple weeks, and had thought about finally trying out the steakhouse, but found they don't have one (bummer).

But also not sure I'd see myself paying simply for an item without the full package/venue that the steakhouse has. But as long as it doesn't lead to reduced regular options than it's good with me.

Go to the steakhouse, pay $35 and you get it all:)

Hope they have this available on the Glory still in 30 days!
It was there 4 weeks ago. We didn't get any of the items (we had just been to Miracle's steakhouse in July:cool:), but thought it was good for those who might not want to go to the steakhouse. However, on a ship with a steakhouse I'd pay the extra $15 and get the full meal - especially the chocolate medley dessert.:D

I'm a Carnival cheerleader all the way, but I'm not a fan of this idea. I foresee a reduction in the variety of menu items and/or quality in order to entice diners into opting for the "Steakhouse Selections."

Of course, I could just be paranoid. :eek:

I think your thinking was the same on Royal Caribbean when they implemented the option of steak from the steak house at a charge. It has proven very successful for them and they are still continuing to offer the steak option, at least as far as I know.

I like the idea as I can only get my husband to go to the steak house once on a cruise as he doesn't eat much and feels he doesn't get his money's worth, so I can go there once and still enjoy the surf and turf another night. I, for one, am happy to see this.

I'm tickled to see it! WooHoo!

I'll gladly pay and extra $20 for Surf and Turf over some of the options offered on a few nights! There are a couple of those menus that absolutely nothing beyond an appetizer sounds even remotely appealing! We usually do the Lido on those nights, or on Breeze went to Cucina, but now - oh heck yeah, Maine Lobster here I come!

it's surprising to see this back again. they had this 'pilot' program a few years back, which apparently was NOT successful and i thought they shelved the idea. (or at least they DID for a few years). but whatever i'm all for 'OPTIONS'.

I remember this as well... as for me.. I don't like the idea of having "pay for " items in the main dining room which is supposed to be all inclusive. The only time i would agree with this would be on the ships that have no steakhouse.