Vision of the seas 8/28 review

lusochic

ImageUploadedByForums1409613070.880069.jpg.43f7da98bbdcbc00017c317d12ed1de1.jpg

Just got off the ship from a 4 night Cozumel trip.

The good...

The cruise director and activities staff was great. The interactive guests shows and activities were well executed, the theater shows were great, some a little cliche and cheesy but overall a lot of fun and good entertainment. The comedian was the same who will be headlining on Quantum and he did a main show as all as a late night adult show and had us busting out laughing both times.

We enjoyed the solarium for it's more low key relaxing vibe. Cafe latitudes was our go to for espressos and cappuccino. Also we attended a sushi making class which was an excellent experience, fun and included lunch for $25. The staff did an outstanding job and you could see the preparation and effort out in by all.

The ship was very nice for the most part. Having recently undergone a renovation, there were some nice aspects ( ie. patio furniture, centrum show lighting, public restrooms were nicely tiled).

However there are also many signs of age and fatigue. White washed oak cabinets in cabin have it a dated 90's look, outlet plug in bathroom did not work, and railing on our balcony was worm and stained. It needs to be sanded and refinished. Carpet was peeling off in cabin room. There were dents in the cabin doors and laminate peeling show signs of wear and tear.

There was inconsistency in areas with furniture. (Ie. Old pool plastic loungers and new mesh pool loungers).

While we had a fabulous time as a group of 3 families, we tried to focus on enjoying the company and making memories. However there were two main factors that were unforgivable. Food and service (or lack thereof)

The bad... Service

Several experiences on The Vision of the Seas where interaction with staff was not up to WOW RCCI standards.

Bar staff was very slow and unattentive. Lack of professionalism in interactions with each other in front of guests as well as lack of enthusiasm to perform job duties and provide positive first experience. They looked and acted as though they did not want to be there.

The ugly... Food

Food was mediocre at best everywhere.

At Aquarius main dining room, servers were clueless about performing proper dinner service. Our table was left unattended without even water glasses being filled, even after we asked when waiter came to ask what we "want to drink." When we asked for bread rolls to be warm, we were told they would put it in the microwave, and of course when we got it back, delivered to the table, it was rubbery and rock hard. Steak was the color of gray and had the texture and flavoring of show leather. After not being able to eat the strip steak, ordered the prime rib and also came out with same gray color and was inedible. It seems that food is cooked in a steam bath and then left to sit and turn bad. The next time we ate at the main dining room, we ordered braised beef, hoping that by the description it would be braised and soft. This was not the case. Was hard and uncooked. Spouse ordered the cod fish which was fishy frozen and disgusting. Needless to say we didn't even bother ordering anything else and left hungry.

Terrible and inexcusable for dining.

Windjammer, park cafe, dining room.. everything had texture poor quality and bland flavor, premade Sysco bought food that can out of plastic containers. Food selection did not change much anywhere. Only slightly modified so not much variety.

Cups and coffee mugs were dirty and I would have to dig through several before finding in the buffet service area that might be clean.

Only positive dining experiences were at the speciality restaurants. Had a wonderful dinner at Izumi as well as Giovanni's. At Izumi, we were waited on by Jay, who did any outstanding job and focused truly on the guest experience. The test of the Izumi staff were very attentive and welcoming. They evoked a feeling of passion for what they are doing, a unique experience compared to the test of our dining experiences onboard the ship.

Seems like the "included" meals have been costed out and quality has been severely compromised. So much so, that we have vowed to not return on Royal Caribbean again, and will go back to Celebrity or maybe try Princess.

For having spent $2,000 for a junior suite for a 4 night cruise to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, this was a huge disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[ATTACH]323982[/ATTACH]

The ship was very nice for the most part. Having recently undergone a renovation, there were some nice aspects ( ie. patio furniture, centrum show lighting, public restrooms were nicely tiled).

However there are also many signs of age and fatigue. White washed oak cabinets in cabin have it a dated 90's look, outlet plug in bathroom did not work, and railing on our balcony was worm and stained. It needs to be sanded and refinished. Carpet was peeling off in cabin room. There were dents in the cabin doors and laminate peeling show signs of wear and tear.

There was inconsistency in areas with furniture. (Ie. Old pool plastic loungers and new mesh pool loungers).

While we had a fabulous time as a group of 3 families, we tried to focus on enjoying the company and making memories. However there were two main factors that were unforgivable. Food and service (or lack thereof)

The bad... Service

Several experiences on The Vision of the Seas where interaction with staff was not up to WOW RCCI standards.

Bar staff was very slow and unattentive. Lack of professionalism in interactions with each other in front of guests as well as lack of enthusiasm to perform job duties and provide positive first experience. They looked and acted as though they did not want to be there.

The ugly... Food

At Aquarius main dining room, servers were clueless about performing proper dinner service. Our table was left unattended without even water glasses being filled, even after we asked when waiter came to ask what we "want to drink." When we asked for bread rolls to be warm, we were told they would put it in the microwave, and of course when we got it back, delivered to the table, it was rubbery and rock hard. Steak was the color of gray and had the texture and flavoring of show leather. After not being able to eat the strip steak, ordered the prime rib and also came out with same gray color and was inedible. It seems that food is cooked in a steam bath and then left to sit and turn bad. The next time we ate at the main dining room, we ordered braised beef, hoping that by the description it would be braised and soft. This was not the case. Was hard and uncooked. Spouse ordered the cod fish which was fishy frozen and disgusting. Needless to say we didn't even bother ordering anything else and left hungry.

Windjammer, park cafe, dining room.. everything had texture poor quality and bland flavor, premade Sysco bought food that can out of plastic containers. Food selection did not change much anywhere. Only slightly modified so not much variety.

Cups and coffee mugs were dirty and I would have to dig through several before finding in the buffet service area that might be clean.

Seems like the "included" meals have been costed out and quality has been severely compromised. So much so, that we have vowed to not return on Royal Caribbean again, and will go back to Celebrity or maybe try Princess.

For having spent $2,000 for a junior suite for a 4 night cruise to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, this was a huge disappointment.

We were on the 10 night just prior to this cruise and find it interesting that so much in the service, food and ship appearance went down so rapidly on turn around day. There are always perceived differences in all things but I find it hard to believe that they were that bad overall. I'm sure you will be missed by RCI.

We were on the 10 night just prior to this cruise and find it interesting that so much in the service, food and ship appearance went down so rapidly on turn around day. There are always perceived differences in all things but I find it hard to believe that they were that bad overall. I'm sure you will be missed by RCI.

I always find it interesting to see the different perceptions of the same cruise. There are 2 other threads today from others on this same sailing who are reassuring others that they will enjoy Vision. Have seen some reviews of sailings I was on that made me wonder if we were on the same ship.

To the OP, sorry you did not enjoy. We were on Vision a month ago and did not experience any of the issues you did. Guess we all look for different things on our vacations. Thankfully there are a lot of options out there so we can all find what works for us.

I had previously sailed Royal Carribean, and what I experienced previously was much better than this time. I just tried to present a balanced review with my honest thoughts and feedback. Like I said, we didn't let the issues ruin our vacation. Our #1 mission of family time was accomplished and overall we had a very nice time because of our company. We didn't complain the entire cruise or let little things disrupt our fun. But my husband and I made observations about it, and noted certain things that I thought would be useful to provide here. Certainly not everything is for everyone, and that is why we have options to find the vacation or cruise ship that suits each of us. I can't tell you how much this forum has meant to me in planning my cruise vacations over the last ten years. I hope that by sharing my experience along with others, it will help folks develop a balanced perspective of the Vision of the Seas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[ATTACH]323982[/ATTACH]

The bad... Service

Several experiences on The Vision of the Seas where interaction with staff was not up to WOW RCCI standards.......

They looked and acted as though they did not want to be there.

The ugly... Food

....... After not being able to eat the strip steak, ordered the prime rib and also came out with same gray color and was inedible. It seems that food is cooked in a steam bath and then left to sit and turn bad. The next time we ate at the main dining room, we ordered braised beef, hoping that by the description it would be braised and soft. This was not the case. Was hard and uncooked. Spouse ordered the cod fish which was fishy frozen and disgusting.......

Hi

thank you for your review and your observations.

If I had the same or similar experience ..... I would not be happy

However there are also many signs of age and fatigue. White washed oak cabinets in cabin have it a dated 90's look, outlet plug in bathroom did not work, and railing on our balcony was worn and stained.

Unless you were trying to plug in an electric shaver, it's not supposed to work. It is clearly labeled "for electric shavers only."

This is true on ALL Royal Caribbean ships.

[ATTACH]323982[/ATTACH]

The good...

The cruise director and activities staff was great. The interactive guests shows and activities were well executed, the theater shows were great, some a little cliche and cheesy but overall a lot of fun and good entertainment. The comedian was the same who will be headlining on Quantum and he did a main show as all as a late night adult show and had us busting out laughing both times.

We enjoyed the solarium for it's more low key relaxing vibe. Cafe latitudes was our go to for espressos and cappuccino. Also we attended a sushi making class which was an excellent experience, fun and included lunch for $25. The staff did an outstanding job and you could see the preparation and effort out in by all.

The bad... Service

The ugly... Food

Only positive dining experiences were at the speciality restaurants. Had a wonderful dinner at Izumi as well as Giovanni's. At Izumi, we were waited on by Jay, who did any outstanding job and focused truly on the guest experience. The test of the Izumi staff were very attentive and welcoming. They evoked a feeling of passion for what they are doing, a unique experience compared to the test of our dining experiences onboard the ship.

WOW! Quite a scathing review...

WE were on this same ship and on the same date.

I have lost count after 40 cruises on RCi and this was our first Vision Cruise.

I thought the ship was fabulous ! Service was great too. Water glasses never went empty. Although we have CL privileges, we still purchased the premium drink package and thoroughly enjoyed the bar service too. Both in the CL and everywhere

Your fussing about bread not being warm and the color of the cabinetry is telling.

So sorry for being a RCI cheerleader and sorry for impugning your review. Your wise to let RCI go and perhaps the 6 star cruise lines will be better able to meet your expectations. BUt of course you will not be paying anywhere near under a $100 a night as you m0st likely paid to sail the VOS. good luck

We will be on the Vision on the 15th I hope the service will be up to par by then

Don't worry! I'd be willing to bet that you would have wonderful service now AND by then.

I don't doubt that the OP had service issues.....that happens everywhere.....but that is NOT the norm for the Vision. So I hope people don't think that it is.

Edited by max'smom

Let's remember it was a holiday sailing, and what would a holiday sailing be without hearing from the complainers. I am sure it will be fine and Trainman2 is giving us a live 10 day report. It seems everything is going well except DW is a

tad under the weather! His report is just what I need to get even more excited about my upcoming trip on Vision.

Let's remember it was a holiday sailing, and what would a holiday sailing be without hearing from the complainers. I am sure it will be fine and Trainman2 is giving us a live 10 day report. It seems everything is going well except DW is a

tad under the weather! His report is just what I need to get even more excited about my upcoming trip on Vision.

Well Karen I am sure the OP did have a horrible time....

We had an amazing time!!!! VOS could not have been better....well of course the MDR could have been better but the food was hot!!! THe WNJMMR did not have smoked salmon or fried rice/ Asian fare for brkfast... so what it certainly did not ruin my vacation.

You will love the VOS

There is a chance that the OP actually had bad service and bad food---it happens, even on Royal ships. Every review isn't going to be, Wow, best cruise of my life.

I also had bad service and food on The Vision while I read some others had no problems at all. Maybe some of us drink more and use bar service more than others, maybe some of us had over cooked steak one night or maybe we got the waiter that had a really bad week. Just because your cruise experience was great doesn't mean mine was or anyone else's.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on how THEIR cruise went.

I just don't understand why people bash people for stating how their cruise went. I read reviews so I can put together a bunch of info from many different points of view. Then I pick which ship I want to take my vacation on. I'm very thankful for both the negative and positive reviews.

I just don't understand why people bash people for stating how their cruise went. I read reviews so I can put together a bunch of info from many different points of view. Then I pick which ship I want to take my vacation on. I'm very thankful for both the negative and positive reviews.

Hi,

I feel the same way and do appreciate all reviews ....... there has to be something good or bad that the cruiser experienced and is sharing their cruise with us from their perspective.

And I have seen and talked with people ( mostly when waiting at the airport after the cruise) who were on the same cruise as us and some 'loved' and some 'hated' their cruise for whatever reasons that were important to them.

Edited by wieslaw

I was On the Vision the 14th thru the 18th everything was great from our service to the waiters and the shows food was very good, i have cruised alot on rcci and it ws just as good as it was before with one exception the park cafe roast beef was not to good....But I booked the allur for the 24th to the 31st on that cruise, and now i am sad to say that since being on the Allure no other ship will live up to it except maybe the quantam;)

QUOTE=1992cruiser;43970392]There is a chance that the OP actually had bad service and bad food---it happens, even on Royal ships. Every review isn't going to be, Wow, best cruise of my life.

I also had bad service and food on The Vision while I read some others had no problems at all. Maybe some of us drink more and use bar service more than others, maybe some of us had over cooked steak one night or maybe we got the waiter that had a really bad week. Just because your cruise experience was great doesn't mean mine was or anyone else's.

I agree with you For most of us a cruise is a much anticipated vacation. It is not a cheap vacation when you add up all of the costs - airfare, airport parking, hotels, excursions, pet sitting, etc. - so there are certain expectations. From OP's signature it appears it has been a long time since their last cruise and there have been a lot of changes since then.

My wife and I celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary on the Vision a little over a month ago. 5 nights to Key West and Grand Cayman. We had a Junior Suite that was not cheap, but it was very noisy...

I share in some of your comments - I have given up ordering most beef in the main dining room of any RCL ship, with the exception of an occasional prime rib. The strip steak is what you would find in a truck stop for $7.99. The Roast beef sandwiches in the solarium had more gristle and fat than beef. The Windjammer was ok for breakfast, but severely lacked quality food selections for lunch and dinner. Izumi definitely had the best service, although we did enjoy the food at the other specialty restaurants. Chops was a little disappointing - the caesar salad was chopped, bagged Romaine, and they did not offer the usual 3 steak sauces to accompany the steaks.

This ship would be much better suited doing "Majesty" type 3 nighters to the Bahamas in my opinion.

25 cruises with Royal Caribbean... this was our worst cruise. Ever.

- Doc

My wife and I celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary on the Vision a little over a month ago. 5 nights to Key West and Grand Cayman. We had a Junior Suite that was not cheap, but it was very noisy...

I share in some of your comments - I have given up ordering most beef in the main dining room of any RCL ship, with the exception of an occasional prime rib. The strip steak is what you would find in a truck stop for $7.99. The Roast beef sandwiches in the solarium had more gristle and fat than beef. The Windjammer was ok for breakfast, but severely lacked quality food selections for lunch and dinner. Izumi definitely had the best service, although we did enjoy the food at the other specialty restaurants. Chops was a little disappointing - the caesar salad was chopped, bagged Romaine, and they did not offer the usual 3 steak sauces to accompany the steaks.

This ship would be much better suited doing "Majesty" type 3 nighters to the Bahamas in my opinion.

- Doc

Thanks for your feedback Doc. That was our experience, and I guess different people have different perceptions of what good looks like.

There is a chance that the OP actually had bad service and bad food---it happens, even on Royal ships. Every review isn't going to be, Wow, best cruise of my life.

I was pretty surprised at some of the responses to my post. Clearly, some people are pretty emotional about their RC loyalty, and only want to hear and see only the good things. I only wanted to offer my honest experience but it seems that you will be shunned for it on this forum.

Well Karen I am sure the OP did have a horrible time....

We did not have a horrible time.. In fact, as I commented in earlier post, we didn't let the issues ruin our vacation. We had a great time with our family, the entertainment and ship shape contributed to a very nice time. We didn't complain the entire cruise or let little things disrupt our fun. But as I said, my husband and I made observations about it, and noted certain things that I thought would be useful to provide here.

I think that some of the comments here by folks are just careless and rude.. even bullying to some extend.. Isn't the idea that we share experiences, good and bad? That's what I came to these forums for - REAL, HONEST feedback..

If I only wanted to read good things about a ship or cruise line, I can go to the company website. :p

[ATTACH]323982[/ATTACH]

The good...

The bad... Service

The ugly... Food

I found the wow to be missing on vision but i made the best of it. Wait staff was not informed of our allergies and pushed the seafood and nut dishes. Bar staff i just went to the same guy and he was nice...the centrum bar was the nicest, as well as the bar in the casino. I'm hoping liberty is better. Food was amazing for us in windjammer and dining room.

- Doc

Yes the beef sandwhiches in solarium cafe were rock hard..i had yo get gravy to soften them down. So far oasis had the best sandwhiches

I was on the same cruise 8/28. The cruise director was awesome, providing lots of energetic fun. The comedian was hilarious. We had an outside cabin and it was clean and everything was in working order. The cabin service was good. I agree with lusochic that the bar servers did not seem happy or friendly. This was also the case with some of the guest services staff (no smiles). Cookies and smoked salmon are now in Park Cafe and not available in Windjammer. We went to all of the specialty restaurants. The food was very good and service was friendly and attentive. It took a long time to get our food in Izumi, but the server and host were appologetic.

Unless you were trying to plug in an electric shaver, it's not supposed to work. It is clearly labeled "for electric shavers only."

This is true on ALL Royal Caribbean ships.

Thank you for clarifying.. I clearly did NOT read that! :o

Edited by lusochic
Cannot edit OP

........ That's what I came to these forums for - REAL, HONEST feedback..

If I only wanted to read good things about a ship or cruise line, I can go to the company website. :p

Hey, please do not be upset about some of the comments. Some people will defend this or that company, regardless if there is something wrong or not ..... unless something wrong happens to them directly.

I like your review but not some of the things that you reported ...... especially the food in the MDR. Probably RCI reduced the amount of money allocated for food ( or maybe they kept the same amount but food prices went up a lot), so the same amount does not go as far as it did before.

Dirty dishes and fish that is not cooked ...... I am sure you just did not create those comments from nowhere ...... the way I read your review - you reported what you observed and thank you for doing that.