USAA travel insurance. Anyone use them?

Has anyone had experiance with USAA trip insurance? There seems to be 3 plans. They confused me on the phone when I tried to get an explanation between them all. I'm thinking about the middle plan because it is only about $30 more than the lowest plan and covers cancelation for work reasons. They say you have to book 48 hrs before your trip. That confuses me because I would think you would need to pay before final payment date. I just feel there is more to it than what I understand. I think the price is reasonable compared to what RCCL was but I don't want to pay $133 only to find it has exceptions I didn't understand.

I have not used their insurance, but I have a lot of respect for the company. I should qualify based upon parent's service; maybe I should look into it. I wonder if they offer an annual travel medical policy; that is what we usually buy. Does anybody know?

Have you tried their website? https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/travel_main?adid=icgsch62145648-VQ16-c-VQ6-29733545095

You have to sign in as a member to learn about the policies. It may be more efficient to read the policy details on line rather than try to understand over the phone.

I have not used their insurance, but I have a lot of respect for the company. I should qualify based upon parent's service; maybe I should look into it. I wonder if they offer an annual travel medical policy; that is what we usually buy. Does anybody know?

Have you tried their website? https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/travel_main?adid=icgsch62145648-VQ16-c-VQ6-29733545095

You have to sign in as a member to learn about the policies. It may be more efficient to read the policy details on line rather than try to understand over the phone.

Thanks, the web site does make it a lot more clearer.

They are who I always use. It is not really USAA I don't think but I trust them because of their association. You do have to login in to your USAA account to access.

I haven't ever had to file a claim (knock on wood) so can't speak for that aspect.

I do believe you have a limited time to purchase (week or less) from the date that you BOOK your cruise/airfare in order for the policy to cover pre-existing conditions. (You can order a less inclusive policy later.) I had trouble with this concept (why do I need insurance before the 100% refundable cruise payment date?) but this is how most, if not all, travel insurance policies work.

I thought it was a reasonable price for all that you get. The emergency evacuation amounts are a LOT more than Royal's.

As with all insurance policies - praying I never need but glad to have the reassurance if I do.

We have researched insurance for the past few weeks. Have three trips planned for the coming year and are looking for the first time at an annual travel medical policy. Would appreciate it if you would share who you use. My email is carlcind@verizon.net. Thanks

Thanks, the web site does make it a lot more clearer.

I have purchased trip insurance with USAA many times.

To clarify what you asked about........they have a plan that provides up to 75% reimbursement of your trip costs if you cancel 48 hours or longer before departure. It must be purchased within 30 days of your initial trip deposit. This is actually cancel for any reason insurance and always costs a bit more.

So..............if you need to cancel for work related reasons you must cancel 48 hours or more and you will only be reimbursed up to 75% and maybe less.

You can also check http://www.insuremytrip.com and compare prices.

We have researched insurance for the past few weeks. Have three trips planned for the coming year and are looking for the first time at an annual travel medical policy. Would appreciate it if you would share who you use. My email is carlcind@verizon.net. Thanks

I think we are allowed to share travel insurance company names here. And maybe if we are lucky somebody else will pipe in with more places to search for better annual policies.

We have purchased annual travel medical/evacuation policies for about 8 years or so. In that time, we have used a couple different companies. So far, we happily have not needed to make any claims. Without any claims, we cannot say anything about the company's service; all they have had to do is send us policy info and take our credit card payment.

Our last policy was with HCC, and it has just expired. We are currently shopping for a new policy. Here's hoping for another claim free year!

We shop and buy annual policies via squaremouth.com as they have the option to search for annual policies. I did not find that option on a couple other travel insurance websites. We only need secondary coverage outside USA, though I see a couple policies that offer primary international medical coverage. Your policy options may depend upon your residency and age, etc.

We may buy the HCC policy again. It has a very high medical limit and substantial pre-exisiting condition coverage. But I am less happy with the evacuation coverage...good limit, but I think it only gets one to the nearest adequate hospital. I'd like a policy that would stabilize one at an internationla location and potentially help us (if necessary) get a medically supervised return fligh to US. I do not think the HCC policy for sale in my state covers that second stage. I hope neither of us ever needs any care, and certainly not such extended care, but that is what insurance is for.

Other policies seem to have lower medical coverage limit but seem to cover two stages of evacuation. Pricing is similar. I must soon decide which way to go.

There are very strong med evac policies that can be purchased separately, but those seem rather pricey. I believe we are low risk for needing evacuation; I don't want to spand a bundle each year subsidizing big risk takers or really sick people.

I have purchased trip insurance with USAA many times.

To clarify what you asked about........they have a plan that provides up to 75% reimbursement of your trip costs if you cancel 48 hours or longer before departure. It must be purchased within 30 days of your initial trip deposit. This is actually cancel for any reason insurance and always costs a bit more.

So..............if you need to cancel for work related reasons you must cancel 48 hours or more and you will only be reimbursed up to 75% and maybe less.

You can also check http://www.insuremytrip.com and compare prices.

I used USAA for my last cruise and then again on my upcoming cruise. Under $100 for 4 people (driving to port). I use USAA for just about everything.

Has anyone had experiance with USAA trip insurance? There seems to be 3 plans. They confused me on the phone when I tried to get an explanation between them all. I'm thinking about the middle plan because it is only about $30 more than the lowest plan and covers cancelation for work reasons. They say you have to book 48 hrs before your trip. That confuses me because I would think you would need to pay before final payment date. I just feel there is more to it than what I understand. I think the price is reasonable compared to what RCCL was but I don't want to pay $133 only to find it has exceptions I didn't understand.

It's not USAA insurance, they provide a discount to other companies. I use it every time. Thankfully we haven't had to use the insurance for any emergencies or anything so I can't comment on that. However, their website is very easy to use and I find their rates with the discount is good.

I definitely would never buy an insurance with USAA again.

They played a chicken game with me and my claim. It was not very pleasant them based in the USA, me stationed abroad. It took 2 years plus the order from the judge of a small claim court in Huntsville until they finally payed my claims .

Beware!

They played a chicken game with me and my claim. It was not very pleasant them based in the USA, me stationed abroad. It took 2 years plus the order from the judge of a small claim court in Huntsville until they finally payed my claims .

Beware!

Sucks, but sounds like you just had one bad experiance.

They are literally rated and known as one of the best insurance companies, for both claims, rates, and customer service...in the world.

For the OP, yes I use thier travel insurance. The 30 day from deposit only really matters if you have any pre-existing medical conditions you want covered. If you don't (Like myself) then as long as you purcahse it before final payment is due, it covers everything listed.

With that said, I saw no advantage to the highest of the 3 options...I always go with the middle one.

Unfortunately you didn't get much meaningful feedback so far, except one negative.

I've noticed on sites like insuremytrip all the policies are full of glowing positive reviews, but if you read them, 99% said they loved the policy and company but never had to make a claim. Wow, what valuable reviews.......!:rolleyes:

Try Alliance. Much cheaper. USAA quote was $500 more than I just paid for a 36 day 23,000$ trip @ 74 and 77 years of age Florida resident.

Lynne

Beware!

If it took the travel insurance company 2 years and an order from a judge to get your money back there is most likely more to your story.

USAA actually refers Travel Insurance to Travelguard. If you sign in to the USAA web site that site then switches you to Travelguard with the standard Travelguard offerings. I do believe the prices offered to USAA members (via the web site thing above) are lower than 'everyday' Travelguard prices.

I'm a USAA member and have always used their offering via Travelguard. Haven't had a claim though, so can't say anything about that.

Try Alliance. Much cheaper. USAA quote was $500 more than I just paid for a 36 day 23,000$ trip @ 74 and 77 years of age Florida resident.

Lynne

Isn't pricing funny? I checked Allianz for an annual travel policy. Their price was about $500 higher than HCC or GeoBlue, even though the med evac coverage looked weak and the medical coverage limits were lower. It did include some low limit cancellation coverage, but I'm trying to insure against big risks, like major medical problem or evacuation need. I'm willing to self-insure for smaller $ risks.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Unfortunately you didn't get much meaningful feedback so far, except one negative.

I've noticed on sites like insuremytrip all the policies are full of glowing positive reviews, but if you read them, 99% said they loved the policy and company but never had to make a claim. Wow, what valuable reviews.......!:rolleyes:

OK - we had a claim (big one).

We worked through TripInsuranceStore.com

I'm accustomed to reading "the fine print", but there's just too much that is NOT in the "online comparison charts"... so PHONE THEM.

They talked to us at length, and answered lots of questions, and we purchased a policy from TravelInsured through TripInsuranceStore.com staff.

They were careful to ask us about exactly what needs/concerns we had.

And... for a very special and important (and rather expensive) trip... less than 2 weeks before departure, DH suddenly had a medical emergency.

Our last concern at the time was the cost of the trip, already fully paid and completely non-refundable.

What seemed like a couple of iffy weeks became a couple of months.

Once things stabilized, we finally filed the claim, and once TravelInsured got all the documentation (that's fair enough - receipts that we actually had paid, medical diagnosis, treatment, etc.), we soon got a phone call that the check was being sent, and a few days later, the check arrived.

IF that medical emergency had happened a bit later, we'd already have left home, and all costs would have skyrocketed!

We "won't leave home without it", to borrow a phrase...

GeezerCouple

USAA travel insurance is through TravelInsured, not Travel Guard. If you go through USAA you get a slightly better price than if you go directly to the company

We started using them a couple of trips ago. I always buy the middle policy. For a small fee, you can pay up to make the medical primary and with no deductible. I believe it was $25 per person.

We have not needed to use it, but we almost did. Air Canada took care of us, though, and no insurance needed.

I do like the way I can purchase when I book, then, as I add non-refundable costs, I can call to increase my coverage.

We've used Travel Insured often. Get a small discount as USAA members.

Have filed two small claims for about $200 each. No problem whatsoever. One was just a hotel charge and the other was a medical claim which was a bit more complicated since I had to file with Medicare first even tho I knew we'd be rejected since the charge was out of the country.

Just keep all receipts, names and addresses of doctors, facilities involved. Makes it easier.

I just purchased some for our next cruise. It was the cancel for any reason kind because we are taking all 6 of the kids and it is pretty far out. I thought the cost was reasonable. $73 each for me and hubby and $20 per kid. I hope I don't have to use it but I'm glad it's there just in case.

I (unfortunately!) have had to file claims with USAA's provider, TravelInsured, and they were positive experiences. When you purchase your insurance through USAA's website, they waive an application or processing fee, which has usually been about $30 for me.

The first claim I filed was for medical care for me and it was paid within two weeks or so. The second claim was a cancellation when my mother was hospitalized a few days before my scheduled departure, and they paid everything within a week. As a previous poster said, just save all of your receipts.

They are very helpful and have a separate department that works with USAA members, probably because of the special needs of active duty personnel.

They are great to work with - I highly recommend them!

Liz

Edited by Liz

• 3 weeks later...

I always get the insurance through USAA/ Travel Insured. Actually had to use it on our Vegas trip we had to cancel this July. Within a month the claim was started, paperwork submitted, and check mailed. No questions asked since I provided all receipts. My husband's leave was revoked because of an unexpected/ not planned trip (active duty). We had the Lite policy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app