Drink Packages Discounted Sept?

Hi Gang,

My wife and I are sailing this October on Freedom for a 7 night. We have been on the RCCI website over the past few weeks getting our cruise docs and dinner plans put together. Last night we noticed that all the drink packages were cheaper. We were planning on getting the beer/wine for me and the beer/wine/liquor for my wife. My package was originally listed at $40 per day and hers was $55. As of last night they are $35 and $49. Anyone have a clue about this? Regardless, we budgeted for the higher rates so its a win win for us.

-DK

Hi Gang,

My wife and I are sailing this October on Freedom for a 7 night. We have been on the RCCI website over the past few weeks getting our cruise docs and dinner plans put together. Last night we noticed that all the drink packages were cheaper. We were planning on getting the beer/wine for me and the beer/wine/liquor for my wife. My package was originally listed at $40 per day and hers was $55. As of last night they are $35 and $49. Anyone have a clue about this? Regardless, we budgeted for the higher rates so its a win win for us.

-DK

Yes, and it's bad news.

They "dropped" the price but stopped including the 15% gratuity.

When you put the packages in your 'shopping cart' and go to pay, you will see that 15% is added to that price that you are seeing.

ETA: The difference is very small. But it's there. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Yes, and it's bad news.

They "dropped" the price but stopped including the 15% gratuity.

When you put the packages in your 'shopping cart' and go to pay, you will see that 15% is added to that price that you are seeing.

ETA: The difference is very small. But it's there. :)

Wow, thank you for the fast response! So we still save a little? So does this mean we have to add gratuities now after each purchase?

There has been discussion about changes in the beverage packages recently. But the indication is that the prices have actually been raised. What used to be a gratuity inclusive price is now reportedly a beverage base price with an additional 15% as separate gratuity added now at the time of purchase.

I'm not aware of any September sales on beverage prices and would suggest checking the final price if purchasing on line when you go to pay for it as if you add 15% to the prices shown they will now be higher than the previous prices.

Example: $35 + $5.25 (15%) = $40.25, $49 + $7.35 (15%) = $56.35. Incremental maybe, but higher.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Unfortunately, prices have actually increased. While they have lowered the base price, they now add a 15 percent gratutity charge , whereas before that charge was already included in the prices. Your packages will now cost $40.25 and $56.35 per day for your respective packages.

Wow, thank you for the fast response! So we still save a little? So does this mean we have to add gratuities now after each purchase?

So nice of everyone else to repeat what I wrote! ;) :D

Like bar drinks that you buy one at a time, when they add the 15%, you are considered to have adequately tipped.

But if you WANT to give more, no one is going to turn you down. ;)

Great, thanks everyone. Sneaky marketing. Well like I mentioned in the first post, we already budgeted for the higher price so we are still good. Kinda stinks that we got all excited about saving a few bucks only to find out that we are actually losing a few. LOL, whatever, I'm just happy to be able to get back out on the caribbean again. Vacations are priceless.

Thanks again everyone!

-DK

Ha ha, actually no one had replied yet when I started writing my post. I must be a slow typist! :)

While the increase does seem minimal, it really can add up. Our large family plans on purchasing 5 Royal Replenish packages, and for a 9 night cruise, that is an increase of $83.25!

I'm confused about the pricing for wine packages. No matter how I try I can't get the total cost of 7 bottles to equal either 115% of the base price, or 15% plus Spanish VAT at 21% as well! The nearest I can get is £2 under if the 21% is added onto the price after 15% gratuities have been added! :rolleyes:

Hi Gang,

-DK

Prices are higher once they add the gratuities.

Royal Replenish has cost us $60 more Canadian for the 3 of us!

Ha ha, actually no one had replied yet when I started writing my post. I must be a slow typist! :)

While the increase does seem minimal, it really can add up. Our large family plans on purchasing 5 Royal Replenish packages, and for a 9 night cruise, that is an increase of $83.25!

I hear ya! I had them in my cart at 11pm then one night. My purse was downstairs so I didn't have my credit card to check out. I got up the next morning and logged back on at 7am and it had changed.

8 hours cost me $60 Canadian!

Great, thanks everyone. Sneaky marketing. Well like I mentioned in the first post, we already budgeted for the higher price so we are still good. Kinda stinks that we got all excited about saving a few bucks only to find out that we are actually losing a few. LOL, whatever, I'm just happy to be able to get back out on the caribbean again. Vacations are priceless.

Thanks again everyone!

-DK

I'm glad your vacations are "priceless" because I pay an arm and a leg for mine:eek: - (very) little humor there:D

So since I bought the Ultimate package for $65/day before all the creative pricing, does that mean I can get a refund for the $1.75 more I am paying per day? I will probably have to cancel, get a refund, and repurchase but I am trying not to mess around with my reservation since everything has been showing up correctly the last few weeks. What do you think about asking guest services about it during the cruise?

So since I bought the Ultimate package for $65/day before all the creative pricing, does that mean I can get a refund for the $1.75 more I am paying per day? I will probably have to cancel, get a refund, and repurchase but I am trying not to mess around with my reservation since everything has been showing up correctly the last few weeks. What do you think about asking guest services about it during the cruise?

I wouldn't worry about it. I had intended to get the Premium Package much earlier than I did but got it after the price change. I've decided to stop worrying about and just get on the boat and have a good time.

I was considering getting a water package but then while reading fine print,it appears one selects the number of bottles to be delivered to your cabin one time (Oasis)....I think I would prefer the way Celebrity does it: simply obtain a bottle at any bar/ rest/ whenever one is needed.....otherwise all the bottles have to be stored somewhere in your cabin.

Anyone have experience with this on Oasis?

Thanks in advance.

I was considering getting a water package but then while reading fine print,it appears one selects the number of bottles to be delivered to your cabin one time (Oasis)....I think I would prefer the way Celebrity does it: simply obtain a bottle at any bar/ rest/ whenever one is needed.....otherwise all the bottles have to be stored somewhere in your cabin.

Thanks in advance.

The bottled water package is the same on all ships, they deliver all the bottles at once to your stateroom.

Thanks in advance.

The Water package you are literally just buying a case of water.

If you want water whenever/wherever as per say... you can do the Royal Replenish Package. It entitles you to unlimited bottle water amongst other drinks..

Thanks in advance.

We've done the water package, ordered two cases (can't remember the quantity) it was evian, turns out I really dislike the taste. It was a waste of $80 for us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

We were debating between the Premium and the Ultimate package and when we saw the price change it actually made the Ultimate the price of the Premium and the Premium more. Made it an easy choice. I had actually called RCI when I first saw the change and they were unaware of the change that night. We had yet to make our final payment and had worried the prices would change again before we could purchase. Rep assured me could purchase before final payment and would be locked in at that price. Made the purchase while still on the phone. :D