Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

I would bring my own Qtips and cotton anyway. Could not bring myself to use the ones provided as I could/would not put them anywhere near my face knowing they were probably handled by the many previous occupants of the cabin:eek:

Come on! In what sort of world do you live that people would handle the cotton wool balls and cotton buds and then return them to the pot?

Yes, the difference between elegance and commonplace is often the little things. When they stop handing out the cheap sparkling wine at boarding, we will see what is important and what is not. The howls will be heard from Ft. Lauderdale to Oshkosh:eek:

I never knew Oshkosh was a place! Live and learn....right here on Cruise Critic!

Thanks to the OP for providing the update. The challenge is that it is difficult to determine the exact reason for the lack of items. It may be the result of cutbacks, and if so, X should immediately stop promoting and advertising certain amenities. I enter into a contract with X for a certain cabin with the understanding that X will provide the promised amenities, and I expect X to honour its obligations.

On the other hand, this may also be the result of a negligent cabin attendant. If so, X should be made aware of these deficiencies at once.

If people didn't eat the tiny chocolates, are they going to eat an Oreo when they are filled up to the eyeballs? This is a stupid idea.

I will miss those little chocolates and the flowers. Never used the Q tips or cotton balls. Don't use the robes either as I'm always afraid someone wore it before me, hung it back nicely and the cabin attendant thought it had not been used.:eek:.

Don't ever sit down on a chair folks...someone else probably sat in it before you did and I can guarantee you it wasn't washed. I certainly hope none of you ever go into the ocean, river or sea because you'd be horrified by what goes on in the water. How did the "clean" robes get into the cabin...someone must have put them there...maybe right after they cleaned the toilet. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. There are germs everywhere people. Don't touch anything.:eek: Maybe that's why we have immune systems. A little caution is a good thing but let's not be ridiculous. The best thing you can do is just keep washing those hands and keep them away from your face.

For those with a memory and Celebrity cruising experience the ambiance is slipping.

Couldn't agree more - we may not be Elite guests but have cruised with Celebrity 3 times over the last 4 years and, though we have booked with P&O next year are now thinking ahead to 2016. Threads like these make us look elsewhere.

WE do care about the seemingly 'little' things that made our cruise special - we never ate our chocolates, but we took them home and ate one every day when we got home to remember the cruise and we DO resent paying more and more for what seems like less of an experience.

If 'Modern Luxury' means paying more for less then, with very much regret (and no matter how much we love Silhouette) we will take our hard earned cash elsewhere.

:(

Unfortunately things change. I used to pay $.30 a gallon for gas and have someone pump it and wash my windshield and check my oil. Now, at $3.50 a gallon we get squat. Yes, I enjoyed the chocolates but it will not make me change cruise lines as I still get more with Celebrity.

And because people want those really inexpensive cruises, that so many report they get on here.

We have two choices. (1) Keep the fares as they are and lose a little of the things or (2) raise the prices for our cruises and put back the chocolates, q-tips, cotton balls, flowers, etc. I'm sure Celebrity would love to hear from all of those that want things like they were back when and that they are willing to pay more for their cruises. I'm not sure Celebrity will hear from many, because many of those that miss the little extra things are also complaining about the prices. I dare say that Celebrity is in a no win situation for some.

Sorry, but the prices have risen quite steeply here in the UK and we seem to be getting less. :confused: The more I read this thread the more cross I get so am off to research land holidays where we seem to get more for our money.

Sorry, but the prices have risen quite steeply here in the UK and we seem to be getting less. :confused: The more I read this thread the more cross I get so am off to research land holidays where we seem to get more for our money.

I hear you...

But you will be shocked by how much land based holidays & related expenses have gone up in the last year or so.

We just completed some research & bookings and were astounded to find Airfare has shyrocketed... And hotels have gone up 25 to 50% over what we were paying early in 2013

Add in Car Rentals and / or gasoline... And things really add up fast !!

Lol, part of the reason we booked another cruise.

Clearly could see our money going farther (good value, more of an AI experience) in that we won't be dishing out extra for food, drinks & entertainment on top of everything else

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Surprised to see such a response to our post.

We have been Loyal to Celebrity for many years and have experienced many changes some good some not so good.

We were just sharing information for those who may want to bring a few additional items on their next Celebrity Cruise.

Surprised to see such a response to our post.

We have been Loyal to Celebrity for many years and have experienced many changes some good some not so good.

We were just sharing information for those who may want to bring a few additional items on their next Celebrity Cruise.

Many of us are glad for the heads up, thank you.

As have the prices generally here in the US. Most of the last minute deals that Celebrity publishes weekly are more in line with what the normal cabin prices used to be.

We still love the Celebrity experience, but can't help but wonder, where all of these "small cutbacks" are going to end.

It's tiring to keep hearing "it's only chocolates, I don't eat them; it's only flowers, I can live without them; it's only fruit, as long as they leave the fruit I like; it's only cotton swabs, they've probably been touched anyway; it's only 2 or 3 of the activity staff, I don't play trivia; I don't want to pay for others' zumba anyway; it's only the MDR cocktail waiter, I don't drink anyway", and on and on and on.

Someday they'll be a point when those who appreciated those things that set Celebrity apart feel that they may as well consider other alternatives & leave Celebrity to those who do not care about those things.

Heck, maybe then they can even turn the music back up & it will be the best of both worlds, less amenities because we don't need them, & loud music!

Edited by richsea

I just finished two road trips and both were (1) more expensive than the cruises I have booked and (2) much more expensive than they were last year (rental houses, hotels, rent-a-car, gas, food, etc.).

I love that we have so many ways to vacations to pick from, because it gives us the chance to choose which experience/price we want.

It's tiring to keep hearing "it's only chocolates, I don't eat them; it's only flowers, I can live without them; it's only fruit, as long as they leave the fruit I like; it's only cotton swabs, they've probably been touched anyway; it's only 2 or 3 of the activity staff, I don't play trivia; I don't want to pay for others' zumba anyway; it's only the MDR cocktail waiter, I don't drink anyway", and on and on and on.

I'm sure just as tired as some are of hearing about there not being any chocolates or flowers or cotton balls or this perceived cutback or that perceived cutback. It works both ways, doesn't it, because everyone has a different opinion. Edited by NLH Arizona

Come on! In what sort of world do you live that people would handle the cotton wool balls and cotton buds and then return them to the pot?

I'm not saying that they were previously used but you can't usually just get one cotton ball out at a time, you get a bunch and have to put some back ugh. And do you use tweezers to get just one Qtip so you don't touch the others? I am not a germaphobe but as far as hotel/cruise toiletries I prefer things individually wrapped/bottled. Maybe not everyone is as carefull and conscientious as you and having that stuff in open containers turns me off.

I'm sure just as tired as some are of hearing about there not being any chocolates or flowers or cotton balls or this perceived cutback or that perceived cutback. It works both ways, doesn't it, because everyone has a different opinion.

Not everyone.

Not everyone.

Just as not everyone is tired of hearing or saying: it's only chocolates, I don't eat them; it's only flowers, I can live without them, etc.

Rich, I might be tired of hearing all the negative comments, but in that everyone has the right to voice their opinions, I would never tell them that I'm tired of hearing it in an effort to make them stop. Let everyone voice their opinions.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Someday they'll be a point when those who appreciated those things that set Celebrity apart feel that they may as well consider other alternatives & leave Celebrity to those who do not care about those things.

QUOTE]

I agree.

When the point is reached for us as individuals that we no longer see "value" in the total Celebrity offering then we'll move to other options.

What is that point? I think it's different for all of us. I know we moved to Celebrity when Princess no longer provided what we wanted.

When Celebrity no longer offers what we want, I would suspect that instead of moaning we'll just move on. Just as we did with Princess.

Cruising is not the only vacation option. We've taken many land trips, and if cruising no longer works for us here's hoping we can take many more.

It is not sarcasm. I find it quite insulting to all those who are Elite Plus. A cruiser comes back and reports changes to what used to be the norm before "Modern Luxury".

It is not about the stuff you can get on any cruise line. It is about the continuos cuts, no matter how small to the cruise line that offered more than good service, a clean room and good food.

For those with a memory and Celebrity cruising experience the ambiance is slipping.

I agree. It was these 'little things' that made Celebrity special. If you take away the things that made you different, then there may be no reason to choose Celebrity. We have sailed Celebrity since the 90's and as long as I have a good experience, we will continue.

We last sailed on the Silhouette in 2012 on the westbound TA. We had a wonderful cruise.

We are on her again this year for the same cruise. It will be interesting to see what the differences are. We are also doing our first Royal Carribbean cruise in late December. I am really anxious to see what the differences are.

Dave

I'm not saying that they were previously used but you can't usually just get one cotton ball out at a time, you get a bunch and have to put some back ugh. And do you use tweezers to get just one Qtip so you don't touch the others? I am not a germaphobe but as far as hotel/cruise toiletries I prefer things individually wrapped/bottled. Maybe not everyone is as carefull and conscientious as you and having that stuff in open containers turns me off.

Hi Christine:

I was on the Solstice in May and we received the prepackaged Q-tips, cotton balls and pseudo-emery board. The amount of packaging for two inferior Q-tips, 3 tiny cotton balls and an inch-and-a-half of entirely useless "emery board" was horrifying. I would MUCH prefer they remove the Q-tips and cotton balls altogether than create that much unnecessary packaging waste, none of which is being recycled.

I am fine with bringing my own Q-tips, cotton balls and emery boards which I buy in bulk, and which are at least quality products. It's just good to have a heads up when things you used to count on are withdrawn, so that you can bring your own. I now have to bring my own shampoo and conditioner because the product that replaced the former Lemongrass hair care products do not do the job for my fine hair. I had a miserable time combing out my tangled mop on the first Celebrity cruise I sailed on, after that particular cutback, when the hair products I had relied on for years were no longer provided.

For this reason, I am grateful to cruisers who post to inform us about amenities that have been removed, or replaced by inferior products. Then at least we can bring what we need to have with us on board.

Edited by elena7seas

. I now have to bring my own shampoo and conditioner because the product that replaced the former Lemongrass hair care products do not do the job for my fine hair. I had a miserable time combing out my tangled mop on the first Celebrity cruise I sailed on, after that particular cutback, when the hair products I had relied on for years were no longer provided.

We must have similar hair..I had the exact experience and miss those lovely products. I found the replacements drying. Unless there is some report of change, I will be bringing my own too.