Cancelled Sailing - Celebrity Constellation 11/21 - Dry Dock

Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

We have an updated version of the announcement regarding our cancelled Celebrity Constellation sailing on November 21, 2014.

Dear Travel Partners,

In order to complete necessary maintenance on Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Cruises will take the ship out of service from November 21 to November 24, 2014. Due to this maintenance period, the Celebrity Constellation 3-Night Bahamas Cruise sailing November 21, 2014 has been cancelled.

As a result of this cancelled sailing all guests who are currently booked on the sailing will need to be contacted. This memo addresses compensation for clients booked on the impacted sailing. Guests booked with names and money in house on Celebrity Constellation 11/21/14 3-Night Bahamas Cruise (FLL/FLL):

Re-book on select Celebrity Constellation sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate.

Select Celebrity Constellation Sailings

• January 5, 2015
  • February 21, 2015
  • January 24, 2015
  • March 7, 2015
  • February 7, 2015

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you re-book any Celebrity sailing.

For named and deposited bookings only, travel agency’s commission will be protected when re-booking any Celebrity sailing. A $25 rebooking bonus commission per named and deposited stateroom will be offered to Travel Partners when guests rebook one of the select sailings listed above in like accommodations.

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $200 per person. A faxed copy of air fees accessed must be provided for reimbursement.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation. Travel Agency’s commission will not be protected on cancelled bookings.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your clients. The desk opened on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 and will remain open until Wednesday, September 17, 2014.

All reservations that have not been updated by the specified closed date will ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48846

For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48923

For Consumer Outreach: 1-866-521-7245 ext. 18881

Thank you in advance for communicating this information to any clients you have booked on the affected sailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your clients.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Hi all,

We have an updated version of the announcement regarding our cancelled Celebrity Constellation sailing on November 21, 2014.

Dear Travel Partners,

In order to complete necessary maintenance on Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Cruises will take the ship out of service from November 21 to November 24, 2014. Due to this maintenance period, the Celebrity Constellation 3-Night Bahamas Cruise sailing November 21, 2014 has been cancelled.

As a result of this cancelled sailing all guests who are currently booked on the sailing will need to be contacted. This memo addresses compensation for clients booked on the impacted sailing. Guests booked with names and money in house on Celebrity Constellation 11/21/14 3-Night Bahamas Cruise (FLL/FLL):

Re-book on select Celebrity Constellation sailings, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Celebrity sailing at prevailing rate.

Select Celebrity Constellation Sailings

• January 5, 2015
  • February 21, 2015
  • January 24, 2015
  • March 7, 2015
  • February 7, 2015

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you re-book any Celebrity sailing.

For named and deposited bookings only, travel agency’s commission will be protected when re-booking any Celebrity sailing. A $25 rebooking bonus commission per named and deposited stateroom will be offered to Travel Partners when guests rebook one of the select sailings listed above in like accommodations.

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $200 per person. A faxed copy of air fees accessed must be provided for reimbursement.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation. Travel Agency’s commission will not be protected on cancelled bookings.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with moving your clients. The desk opened on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 and will remain open until Wednesday, September 17, 2014.

All reservations that have not been updated by the specified closed date will ineligible for the compensation offered.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48846

For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48923

For Consumer Outreach: 1-866-521-7245 ext. 18881

Thank you in advance for communicating this information to any clients you have booked on the affected sailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your clients.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Thanks.Just a suggestion: Think Celebrity should mention that any Taxes and Port fees in excess of the amount paid will be the responsibility of the passenger. Agent told me that when I rebooked and I thought that it was fair, but some might not like to hear it from their Agent.

I don't always agree with what Celebrity does, but I most certainly applaud the decision to have a Celebrity Cruises monitor and respond to comments on these boards. I don't believe in "shooting the messenger". Keep up the good work.

Edited by Orator

Thanks.Just a suggestion: Think Celebrity should mention that any Taxes and Port fees in excess of the amount paid will be the responsibility of the passenger. Agent told me that when I rebooked and I thought that it was fair, but some might not like to hear it from their Agent.

I don't always agree with what Celebrity does, but I most certainly applaud the decision to have a Celebrity Cruises monitor and respond to comments on these boards. I don't believe in "shooting the messenger". Keep up the good work.

Thank you! We'll pass on the suggestion to the team today.

A disappointment for us. We are booked for another cruise in February and had hoped to squeeze this short one in before then. Can't take them up on their offer to rebook another so had to just cancel. This 3-nighter would have allowed us to reach Elite after the February cruise....we will be just 8 points shy and this would have done it. Oh well, another year away again. My DH tells me to stop trying to get us to Elite and start looking at other lines, that I may be surprised.

Edited by santa24

A disappointment for us. We are booked for another cruise in February and had hoped to squeeze this short one in before then. Can't take them up on their offer to rebook another so had to just cancel. This 3-nighter would have allowed us to reach Elite after the February cruise....we will be just 8 points shy and this would have done it. Oh well, another year away again. My DH tells me to stop trying to get us to Elite and start looking at other lines, that I may be surprised.

Getting to Elite on Celebrity opens up many extras that are well worth getting the points needed. Don't know your situation, but if upgrading your cabin category for your February cruise to gain the points is possible I would absolutely consider it.

I know first hand what you are feeling. When the new program was announced I had booked and paid in full for cruises that would take me to Zenith. In the end the change in points required me to book 4 additional cruises to reach that level. Since I enjoy cruising with Celebrity, I placed my anger to the side and went for it. I can tell you that it was well worth it. The benefits I now receive far exceed that extra dollars spent. You would find the same going from Select to Elite. Hope to meet you on a future cruise.

Thank you Orator, much appreciated insight. I think you understand, as we were much closer to Elite before the changes and although annoyed, kept on going with Celebrity. We are booked in concierge in February and unless they have a very significant price drop, we won't be upgrading to a suite. I guess we will just bide out time for now. Would be very pleased to meet you on a future cruise. As I said before, your insights have been appreciated, in this regard and on other threads you have contributed to.

Celebrity Cruises:

You might want to take a look at the Roll Call for this cruise. One poster is reporting that his TA told him that he would need to pay the posted rate for a qualifying cruise. Not all TAs are created equal, but in the end a potential passenger becomes angry, blames Celebrity and walks away. I suggested that they post here with the details, but some are reluctant to come to the main board.

Hmmm, this makes me worry a bit about my TA cruise on the Connie from 11/5 thru 11/21. I have no desire to be stranded in the middle of the Atlantic.

I'm also on that cruise and not concerned at all. On another TA on Silhouette the Captain had a Q and A session. One passenger asked if the ship will stop during the crossing so that we could swim in the Atlantic. The exchanged that followed was quite entertaining.

I am on 11/29 sailing; just curious what the maintenance is? Hopefully nothing too major.

Just off the Connie in August and can't imagine it's anything major. The ship was in great shape and as far as I can tell mechanically sound.

The drydock is less than a full week. My guess is rather than rush and try and fill a cancelled charter they thought a quick spiffing up would be a better idea. I too am curious and hope Celebrity lets us know.

Edited by RickT

Just off the Connie in August and can't imagine it's anything major. The ship was in great shape and as far as I can tell mechanically sound.

It's less than a full week. My guess is rather than rush and try and fill a cancelled charter they thought a quick spiffing up would be a better idea. I too am curious and hope Celebrity lets us know.

I suggested on the Roll Call that a better idea would have been to just extend the TA 3 days. Oh, I can dream :)

Celebrity Cruises:

You might want to take a look at the Roll Call for this cruise. One poster is reporting that his TA told him that he would need to pay the posted rate for a qualifying cruise. Not all TAs are created equal, but in the end a potential passenger becomes angry, blames Celebrity and walks away. I suggested that they post here with the details, but some are reluctant to come to the main board.

Thank you, and we agree. We responded to the guest on the Roll Call.

Just want to stress that all is well and I have received satisfaction on the cruise re-booking. There appears to have been a basic lack of understanding and/or communication between the TA and Celebrity. My experience with this situation between Celebrity and myself (through the Captain's Club) was handled very professionally and with understanding and awareness. The problem seemed to stem rather from Celebrity not being able to help me re-book due to the use of a TA, as well as the TA not having any knowledge or awareness of this cruise being cancelled. Thanks again to all who helped and advised during this process. Now to tackle getting the additional airline charges addressed. Onward!

We booked four cabins for this cruise. Unfortunately, none of the alternate dates work for us, so we had to cancel this cruise. I appreciate Celebrity returning our deposit. Unfortunately, our travel agent is keeping their booking fee ($60 for each cabin booked). We've used this agency for years; they just recently implemented the booking fee. We thought we would lose the booking fee if WE cancelled the cruise. We just learned we lose the fee even if Celebrity is the one cancelling...lessons learned. Time to find a new travel agency.

We booked four cabins for this cruise. Unfortunately, none of the alternate dates work for us, so we had to cancel this cruise. I appreciate Celebrity returning our deposit. Unfortunately, our travel agent is keeping their booking fee ($60 for each cabin booked). We've used this agency for years; they just recently implemented the booking fee. We thought we would lose the booking fee if WE cancelled the cruise. We just learned we lose the fee even if Celebrity is the one cancelling...lessons learned. Time to find a new travel agency.

I'd take them to task on this. The TA is Celebrity's agent and represents them and not you. They sold you a cruise that they cannot deliver. And because they can not deliver they owe you a refund. I'd go so far as to dispute the charge for this - presuming you used a credit card.

I'd take them to task on this. The TA is Celebrity's agent and represents them and not you. They sold you a cruise that they cannot deliver. And because they can not deliver they owe you a refund. I'd go so far as to dispute the charge for this - presuming you used a credit card.

In total agreement. Little Amma booked the cruise in good faith. She did not cancel the cruise, Celebrity did. Celebrity has agreed to give a total refund to anyone who could not take advantage of their very fair offer. Celebrity appears dedicated to meeting the needs of those affected by the cancellation and this is demonstrated quite clearly by actions and results indicated in this thread. As I see it, the problem here is with a greedy Agent, not Celebrity. The Agent needs to make complete restitution to the passenger. Celebrity might apply pressure on the Agent, but in the end the Agent needs to act in an ethical, if not legal manner. I believe Celebity will do everything possible to make the passenger whole. I wish Little Amma well and hope to see her on the Connie TA.

Edited by Orator

Over the past 18 years we have been on 27+ cruises with 3 different lines. Traditionally we just booked ourselves directly with cruise lines to get exact cabin we want, etc. and had been happy with various loyalty program incentives received/earned. We book our own air, hotel, transportation, excursions, etc. But recently we have either used a travel agent to book or transferred booking to a TA as we were lured by OBC and the opportunity to combine benefits. However, my experience today has certainly got me reconsidering. I can't help but feel if I had been dealing directly with Celebrity, I would have been able to book the exact cabins I wanted, which were available on my first call but gone by the time I finally was able to complete the actual rebooking. It took me literally hours to accomplish what should have taken moments. All in all, a rather unsettling experience. It should not be so hard to try to have some fun. So I probably will return to booking our cruises myself directly with the cruise line as I feel that I will have more control of my own bookings that way. Truthfully, I have never experienced as many problems nor as much confusion as I have today at the hands of the travel agency, the supposed professionals. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

I think you should appeal to your credit card company on this one. You did not cancel. They did. Therefore they cannot provide the contracted service. You have no obligation to them (or their agent - the travel agency).

4 x $60 = $240.00 Not fair for you this much if they cancel.

Come on Celebrity .......

I want to thank everyone for the kind posts. We will have no luck as far as credit card goes. I just learned from my husband, he wrote a check for the booking fee, per the travel agent's suggestion. She said we would save money by doing a check rather than a credit card. After he wrote the check he learned it was only a $10 savings. Since the check was already written out, he just let it go. Definitely not worth it, especially considering the current situation. I guess we have to learn some lessons the hard way.