Whatever do I pack?

mkl55

We are leaving October 10 for a 25 day med/transatlantic cruise. We embark in Venice and ports include Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Naples, Florence. Rome, Marseille, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, plus 2 more Spain ports as well as Portugal. Then across to Fort Lauderdale arriving on November 9. Should I be thinking summer or fall or both? Should it be long pants and closed shoes or shorts and sandles?

I've looked on all the travel forums and the advice is contradictory. What do you pack for this type of trip? Thanks in advance. I've never done this type of trip before so I'm so nervous and excited.

We are leaving October 10 for a 25 day med/transatlantic cruise. We embark in Venice and ports include Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Naples, Florence. Rome, Marseille, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, plus 2 more Spain ports as well as Portugal. Then across to Fort Lauderdale arriving on November 9. Should I be thinking summer or fall or both? Should it be long pants and closed shoes or shorts and sandles?

I've looked on all the travel forums and the advice is contradictory. What do you pack for this type of trip? Thanks in advance. I've never done this type of trip before so I'm so nervous and excited.

If it were me I would pack for fall & take a few pairs of crop/capri pants & a couple of sleeveless tops, which you can layer with a long sleeve blouse/jacket if it gets chilly.... It will be chilly when you are trans-Atlantic.. I wear shorts at home but don't wear them in Europe, especially if we are sightseeing.. If we were going to the beach, then I would wear shorts.. We always take bathing suits, but never use them..LOL

Enjoy your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

People in Europe do not wear shorts in any of the cities you mention in the summer. Shorts are not street walking clothes in Europe. So if you were to wear them in the fall (read beginning of the winter in Europe), not only you will stand out but you will be cold. I would not wear capris either(capris are strictly an American phenomenon, European women do not wear them). Long pants and darker colours would make you less obvious as a tourist. In Italy at the end of November, last year, people were wearing parkas and winter coats.

In a beach resort (Costa del Sol or cote d'azur) shorts may be OK in July but not in November....

Edited by happyglobetrotter

the weather at this time of the year can surprise you. It can be really warm, and quite cool and rain.

So layers are the way to go. Pack things that match and if the weather is warm great. If the weather is cool in the morning and it warms up then you can just peel.

This is actually a great time to tour as it is not peak tourist season, not too hot and you can see more by nature of the lesser crowds.

We have been to Europe in October a number of times and have lucked out with several days of great weather. We have also been drenched on - so be prepared and enjoy. We did :D

People in Europe do not wear shorts in any of the cities you mention in the summer. Shorts are not street walking clothes in Europe. So if you were to wear them in the fall (read beginning of the winter in Europe), not only you will stand out but you will be cold. I would not wear capris either(capris are strictly an American phenomenon, European women do not wear them). Long pants and darker colours would make you less obvious as a tourist. In Italy at the end of November, last year, people were wearing parkas and winter coats.

In a beach resort (Costa del Sol or cote d'azur) shorts may be OK in July but not in November....

Don't know when you were last in Europe, but according to Post No. 1 in this thread they are now wearing capris in Europe..See her remarks re skinny jeans & capris..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039957&highlight=capris+in+europe

Also check out Post No. 13 by English in Spain (who lives there) in this thread:

She wears culottes which we call skorts, & others in this thread wore capris, two years ago..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630768&highlight=capris+in+europe

IMO Capri's in the U.S. are almost the same as Cullotes.

OP Forgot to mention if you are sightseeing & plan to visit any churches, be sure your shoulders are covered & do not show too much cleavage..

Don't know when you were last in Europe, but according to Post No. 1 in this thread they are now wearing capris in Europe..See her remarks re skinny jeans & capris..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039957&highlight=capris+in+europe

Also check out Post No. 13 by English in Spain (who lives there) in this thread:

She wears culottes which we call skorts, & others in this thread wore capris, two years ago..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630768&highlight=capris+in+europe

IMO Capri's in the U.S. are almost the same as Cullotes.

The OP question was : should I wear shorts and sandals in major European cities in November ?

There are 4 distinct seasons in Western Europe, and 4 different types of wardrobe, in November, with weather in the 50s, 60s, maybe 70s but unlikely, people will wear fall or winter clothes. Meaning darker, heavier pants and skirts in woolens (back, brown or tweed) and a coat or jacket. Sometimes a pair of jeans.

Culottes that you are referring to are not popular and in all cases, mostly worn to play golf or do horseback riding. And in the summer ! In France, they are called jupe culotte and they are in fact more a shirt than pants. They are not like the North American capris. And they may be worn occasionnaly in resorts in summer but not as street clothes in November.

As to your question: when did I last go to Europe. The answer is this year and I am going back in late Sept. as well as in December. I lived in Europe and my sister still lives in Paris. Two of my best friends live in the South of France (near Sète) and in Switzerland.

But again, the OP question was about wearing shorts in November

Some people will wear shorts in temples in Bali and Indonesia and come back to the ship and say: Lots of other people were also wearing them. They are not even able to realize that the OTHERS that they are referring to were actually people from the same ship than them !!!:)

Be aware of the culture where ever you are.

Shorts: there are shorts and there are shorts, any thing below the knee is fine almost anywhere in the world. I have seen everything, but those wearing the so called bibpy shorts, yes they can get by with it in many places but they look like an UGLY Tourist.

Layering already mentioned, is the answer, and I would like to add a good quality (note)QUALITY, rain coat with hoodie,that breathes. The rain coat is the staple of my fall and spring packing. I have been in snow and howling winds on may occasions, with a fleece jacket or just layers of normal clothes. the rain coat with the layers is almost like a ski jacket. Note, they might sell some on the ship, if you do not want to pack one.

The OP question was : should I wear shorts and sandals in major European cities in November ?

There are 4 distinct seasons in Western Europe, and 4 different types of wardrobe, in November, with weather in the 50s, 60s, maybe 70s but unlikely, people will wear fall or winter clothes. Meaning darker, heavier pants and skirts in woolens (back, brown or tweed) and a coat or jacket. Sometimes a pair of jeans.

Culottes that you are referring to are not popular and in all cases, mostly worn to play golf or do horseback riding. And in the summer ! In France, they are called jupe culotte and they are in fact more a shirt than pants. They are not like the North American capris. And they may be worn occasionnaly in resorts in summer but not as street clothes in November.

As to your question: when did I last go to Europe. The answer is this year and I am going back in late Sept. as well as in December. I lived in Europe and my sister still lives in Paris. Two of my best friends live in the South of France (near Sète) and in Switzerland.

But again, the OP question was about wearing shorts in November

Some people will wear shorts in temples in Bali and Indonesia and come back to the ship and say: Lots of other people were also wearing them. They are not even able to realize that the OTHERS that they are referring to were actually people from the same ship than them !!!:)

Completely agree what the OP's question was...In addition to her asking about shorts she wanted suggestions: I gave her my suggestions & stated " I would not wear shorts but would take a few pairs of Capri's"..

However, you seem to think my Post was completely incorrect & stated: :

Quote I would not wear capris either(capris are strictly an American phenomenon, European women do not wear them)Unquote

Since you unequivocally stated "European women do not wear Capri's", I pointed out two posts, one of which was by a well known poster here, who lives in Spain (English in Spain) who also states she wears cullotes in the southern cities.. If you choose not to believe these posters, or even read their posts, I can't argue the point with you..

However, I stand by my original suggestion for the OP take a few pair of Capri's to wear in Spain, Portugal & Southern Europe, but not wear shorts..

BTW I travelled in Europe once or twice per year on business for more than 30 years & was always dressed appropriately..

Capris are fine and you'll see plenty of people wearing them if the weather is good. Probably not so many wearing shorts, except for those sweet young things who wear those tiny shorts over their leggings. A pair of lightweight cotton trousers would be useful if the weather is iffy (you won't need warm trousers). Then some light jackets, tops etc so you can layer.

Oh, and a packamac with a small folding brolly, just in case.

Capris are fine and you'll see plenty of people wearing them if the weather is good. Probably not so many wearing shorts, except for those sweet young things who wear those tiny shorts over their leggings. A pair of lightweight cotton trousers would be useful if the weather is iffy (you won't need warm trousers). Then some light jackets, tops etc so you can layer.

Oh, and a packamac with a small folding brolly, just in case.

I am anti-umbrella. I like to have both my hands free, and they can be dangerous to passers by. I like a rain jacket with a hood or a rain hat.

The reason for all the various opinions on the weather is because the weather in the Med can be extremely variable.

We have been on beaches in Turkey in mid/late Oct. when it was too hot for us to remain on the beach. Same for other areas of the Med. On our TA cruise it rained for two days in Italy and France but we were in shorts for stops in Spain. Some afternoons on the crossing we found it too warm to sit on our balcony for more than an hour or so. You never know. We have been in the Med during Sept/Oct and sometimes November over the past few years. Always been lucky and hope this year is good as well. Weather so far this summer has not been great.

We pack for warmer weather and then take a light sweater each. Don't bother with all the rest. If we packed for every eventuality we might never get out of the house in the first instance.

Edited by iancal

You will certainly see capris in the Med..........

We have a holiday home in Spain (condo) and will be there from the end of Sept until the middle of Oct..........it will still be beach weather with temperatures in the mid 70's (warm enough for us Brits!). I'll also be wearing shorts (and I'm 62) but not too short. Cities, like Rome, Florence & Barcelona won't see many shorts. They're a bit smarter! I find linen trousers ideal.

You can get very heavy showers sometimes, so will need a waterproof jacket, but it shouldn't be cold.

Have a great time.........that's a great itinerary.

Seems to be a huge issue on this thread about what the OP should pack, not concerning the OP's comfort and convenience, but concerning how the OP should look like a European and avoid looking like a tourist.

But the OP is a tourist -- why should she not pack and wear the clothes she has and that will contribute to her comfort and well-being, even if Europeans would not wear them?

There is nothing wrong with Americans looking like Americans in Europe, or anywhere else. European economies (as well as economies around the world) take in huge financial benefits from American tourists, and we should not be ashamed of that!

And before someone says that tourists (especially Americans) are targets for thieves, etc., I venture to say that the fact that most tourists are to be found congregating and taking photographs at tourist sites marks them as targets no matter what they are wearing. Most Americans, even wearing clothes similar to those Europeans wear, will not pass as Europeans waiting in line at the Louvre or craning their necks to see the rose windows at Notre Dame!

JMO

Edited by SeagoingMom

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply with very thoughtful advice. I apologize for my careless wording regarding shorts and sandals. I would never consider touring European cities dressed so informally and trust me, my Daisy Duke days are well behind me anyway. I was thinking more about sea days as we are taking the southern route to Fort Lauderdale on the November portion.

My take away is to prepare for rain, warmth, and early fall chill. I don't wear capris so would opt for dresses or slacks with cotton sweaters and layers on top. It sounds like a typical New England September and I've been doing that all my life. Phew.

I appreciate all of your thoughts as it certainly confirms that I should be prepared for most anything but think in terms of 2 weeks and mix and match!

I bet you are secretly sorry you asked the question.

I am from Boston and travel to Europe a lot. I am 38 my DH is 40. Between Late May-Sept we dress like we would in New England jeans, dresses, capris, cotton shorts for me and cargo shorts or flat front shorts for DH. No baseball caps or white sneakers.

October- December we dress like we would in October in NE. Rain jacket, small umbrella, moisture resistant Shoes, jeans leggings and dresses/skirts, tall boots and sometimes wool gloves.

In 15 years I have not bought anything special for these trips.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜

The reason for all the various opinions on the weather is because the weather in the Med can be extremely variable.

We have been on beaches in Turkey in mid/late Oct. when it was too hot for us to remain on the beach. Same for other areas of the Med. On our TA cruise it rained for two days in Italy and France but we were in shorts for stops in Spain. Some afternoons on the crossing we found it too warm to sit on our balcony for more than an hour or so. You never know. We have been in the Med during Sept/Oct and sometimes November over the past few years. Always been lucky and hope this year is good as well. Weather so far this summer has not been great.

Completely agree -- the Med covers a large area and weather at that time of year is very changeable. I'll be on my seventh Med cruise this year and six of them have been in the Fall (October or November). Mostly I've had good weather but you can get some rain and cooler days. I pack clothes that aren't too heavy but can be layered and are darker (blacks and tans, not whites and pastels, for example). And a GOOD rain jacket.

But the OP is a tourist -- why should she not pack and wear the clothes she has and that will contribute to her comfort and well-being, even if Europeans would not wear them?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can dress comfortably and still not stick out like a sore thumb. Which many would prefer, including myself.

And before someone says that tourists (especially Americans) are targets for thieves, etc., I venture to say that the fact that most tourists are to be found congregating and taking photographs at tourist sites marks them as targets no matter what they are wearing. Most Americans, even wearing clothes similar to those Europeans wear, will not pass as Europeans waiting in line at the Louvre or craning their necks to see the rose windows at Notre Dame!

You don't think Europeans go sightseeing in other European countries? I've met many Italians from other areas of Italy sightseeing in Rome, Germans in Turkey (in fact, they nearly always think I'm German in Turkey), and French in Tunisia.

JMO

See my comments above. I don't think there's anything wrong with being American. Somehow you are conflating a casual style of dress that is generically termed "American" (for want of a better term) with being American...

Are you sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam? If so, here is the roll call for the Oct 27 - Nov 9 portion of the trans-Atlantic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1894870

As mentioned by others here, I would prepare to dress in layers because we could have anything from warm and sunny to cool and rainy. We pack enough clothes for 7 days and use the ship's laundry package to keep us in clean clothes for the duration of the cruise. Nobody cares if you wear the same thing more than once (I am pretty sure nobody will even notice!)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Seems to be a huge issue on this thread about what the OP should pack, not concerning the OP's comfort and convenience, but concerning how the OP should look like a European and avoid looking like a tourist.

There is nothing wrong with Americans looking like Americans in Europe, or anywhere else. European economies (as well as economies around the world) take in huge financial benefits from American tourists, and we should not be ashamed of that!

JMO

Thanks for this. I am not ashamed to be or to look like what I am - American.

We went last year to almost the same ports as you. We left on October 15. I wore shorts (knee length) almost every day and did not look out of place at all. I usually wore white sneakers because we did a lot of walking. It was hot almost the whole 29 days but we were told it was unusual. I'm a firm believer in dressing for comfort and don't worry about looking like a tourist.

On our European trips I pack everything to mix and match - with lightweight cotton slacks in black and brown, a pair of jeans, and a pair of basil green capris. If my tops don't go with at least 2 or more bottoms, I don't take them. :) We have lightweight water/wind resistant jackets that also go with everything else and work for a wide variety of temperatures and weather.

My tops will pretty much layer for temperature variations... a sweater, a couple of lightweight vests and a couple of scarves to help change it up.

The mix and match approach cuts down on the number of shoes you need as well. I take black flats that can do double duty for day or night, a pair of eurostyle New Balance joggers for sightseeing, and a pair of Clarks sandles that double as slippers. These go with all of the bottoms I take.

On board ship you can have your stuff laundered as needed and only need to take (as somebody mentioned previously) clothes for 1/2 the number of days of the trip.

It works for me :)

We went last year to almost the same ports as you. We left on October 15. I wore shorts (knee length) almost every day and did not look out of place at all. I usually wore white sneakers because we did a lot of walking. It was hot almost the whole 29 days but we were told it was unusual. I'm a firm believer in dressing for comfort and don't worry about looking like a tourist.

We were in Rome in October also last year - the last week of the month before getting on the ship. It was very warm and lovely. I were light weight sandals that are comfortable for walking - every day. Nicer shoes for evenings. Always wore capri pants with different tops. At night it was cooler so a cable knit sweater with elbow length sleeves was great which I bought in Rome. It is a light beige so went with everything. I don't think I looked too touristy either especially if you wear scarves! I had a lovely choc. brown scarf with a big sparkly rhinestone encrusted cross hanging from it in front. I had quite a few compliments on it (from LOCALS). So I thought that was great.

You don't think Europeans go sightseeing in other European countries? I've met many Italians from other areas of Italy sightseeing in Rome, Germans in Turkey (in fact, they nearly always think I'm German in Turkey), and French in Tunisia.

See my comments above. I don't think there's anything wrong with being American. Somehow you are conflating a casual style of dress that is generically termed "American" (for want of a better term) with being American...

I was simply responding to the idea of "looking like an American," which had been expressed by others as something to avoid. (Although I have found that most American tourists pretty much look like American tourists, there are of course, exceptions.) And of course Americans are not the only tourists in Europe -- never said nor implied this.

Did not intend to start a conflagration, even if I was guilty of conflation!

Thank you for your comments and the vocabulary lesson -- I had to look up the meaning of "conflate"! :o