Marina docking in Amsterdam

Paulchili

I know that the R ships dock close to center of town but where does the Marina dock?

I have read somewhere that it is in the industrial port. If so, what is the best way to get to center of town.

I would appreciate an answer from those that have docked on O class ships in Amsterdam.

TIA

PS Can the larger ships dock near the town center as well?

Edited by Paulchili

We dock at the main terminal which was maybe 10 to 15 mins from the city. Buses, tains. Street Cars and taxi's right at the terminal.

It was really easy.....

Rick

Thanks.

That would be great as I believe that the HOHO canal tour boats come to that terminal as well.

We just got off the Marina in Amsterdam on Tues- arrived Mon. AM so we had some good touring opportunity. Docked at the main cruise terminal. You can walk 15 minutes to the central train station...or...you can take tram #26 from across the street from the cruise terminal- just 1 stop to the central station. When you get on the tram, you can buy a 24 hour pass/ticket (or for a longer period) that covers transportation on all the trams and buses, plus metro train- cost 7 Euros.

Not sure about the HOHO coming to the cruise terminal- I think one line (red) comes close, but all water buses, trams, canal tour boats and buses seem to leave from around the central station. There's a lot of construction down the "Dam" canal - straight out from the central station- where tour boats and HOHO usually leave from. Might be cleared up by next year. I did see that routes for the HOHO have changed- brochures we had from 2013 were out of date. The green line is somewhat the same, but, for example, instead of stopping right in front of the Hermitage Museum, it is now a couple of blocks away. The red line goes more around the outer canals than the brochures show.

arima22 - thank you for that great and up to date info :)

Can you buy a ticket (not 24 hour one) on the tram or do you need one before boarding?

You usually can buy them at the centre of the tram there is a conductor but the better deal is to buy the pass

http://en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/welke-kaart/Pages/default.aspx

You may be able to buy them at the little gift shop by the terminal

You scan the card when you get ON the tram & when you get off the machines are at the entry points of the trams

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Paul I was just trying to remember if the HOHO canal boats were by the ship open to others not on the cruise tours

I seem to remember they were just cruise ship tours

In any case they are just across the road from the terminal & past the Movenpick hotel ..

If not for walk ups just go to the Tourist building across for Centraal station they are behind the tourist building ..also a nice restaurant there as well ;)

We have been to Amsterdam several time but have never done the canal tour ..maybe next trip ..enjoy

Lyn

Lyn,

Thank you. We have been to Amsterdam several times as well but our travel companions have never been. The ship is there only from 8 to 4 PM - a relatively short day. We'll do a little walking as well (and spend time in museums) but I think that the HOHO boat will be an efficient way to see a lot of Amsterdam in a limited time.

We just may take a tram straight to Rijksmuseum and then get on HOHO boat from there as the boat may be full when it arrives to the terminal. Also, it doesn't start till 10:20 at the terminal - too much time wasted in a short day.

Edited by Paulchili