Not being potty trained/ 4 yrs old

We are going on a cruise the last week of October, and I know my son won't be potty trained by then as we just adopted him 7 months ago. Will they allow him in the Royal tots even though it's for only up to 3 years old? He looks like he's 2 years old if that helps any.

Thanks!

We are going on a cruise the last week of October, and I know my son won't be potty trained by then as we just adopted him 7 months ago. Will they allow him in the Royal tots even though it's for only up to 3 years old? He looks like he's 2 years old if that helps any.

Thanks!

From everything I have seen and have been told, they stick to the age requirements without exception due to insurance rules, but I would call and ask...

From everything I have seen and have been told, they stick to the age requirements without exception due to insurance rules, but I would call and ask...

Insurance requirements only apply to underage children being accepted into Adventure Ocean. I think your chances are pretty good for the "mommy and me" type program. I'd just ask the program staff when you get onboard. They are the ones who have the say so - calling will not really help. You might also try posting on the Family boards as someone there might have had such an experience.

Thanks!

The cruise line will make an exception for a child with special needs. I am not sure if they will make an exception for your situation but it is worth asking. The accessibility section on the website mentions developmental delays, I would contact the cruise line and ask. Good luck.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

Congratulations on the adoption! Based on what it says on the special needs page it sounds like you coul either send him to Royal tots ( grouping based on developmental not chronological age) or his regular age adventure ocean group because they will waive the toilet training requirement. I suggest you decide which you prefer and then contact the special needs department to ask for the appropriate accomodation

Congratulations and your new edition to your family.

I just got back from the cruise with my son who is 9 and they put him in the 6-8 group to be with the younger kids as he is delayed. They were wonderful with him (of course he is a wonderful little boy so it is a pretty easy job:))

I would email the royal Caribbean special needs department and see what they say. They will be very happy to help you. I would also print any emails they send you and bring them with you as the crew on the ship may not have any idea what transpired on land. Even if your son has no diagnosis (which it doesn't sound like he has) I think they will be very accommodating. Keep us posted and enjoy your cruise and your free time. You deserve it. :D

Months ago I had sent an email to Royal Caribbean asking if our three year old could still have access to the nursery even though she is potty trained. I took their response to be it is the decision of the nursery supervisor. I think it will partly depend on how busy they are that week...

Here's the answer I received:

"Kindly be advised that the onboard nursery takes infants from 6 months to 3 years of age. If your daughter is over the age of 3 and toilet trained, she will take part in the Aquanauts age group of the Adventure Ocean program. Any parent who desires to move a child over the age of 3 to the nursery must personally speak to the nursery supervisor or Adventure Ocean manager once onboard.Royal Caribbean International's Adventure Ocean program is one of the most comprehensive youth activity programs at sea. Run by an exceptional, energetic and educated staff, the program is tailored to fit four separate age groups. The Adventure Ocean program is included in the price of your cruise vacation and all activities are free!

Children must be at least 3 years old and toilet trained for the Adventure Ocean youth activities program. Pull-up diapers are not accepted."

Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Have you looked into whether he is allowed in the pools? That might be a more important consideration.

You may be able to get more information on the family cruising boards. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 . You may be able to get advice from other people who have done this as well as advise as to what to bring

Oooh! I'll definitely email RC's Special needs department, as he does have some developmental delays, and we suspect institutional autism. That would be wonderful if he could be in the Royal Tots program because due to wearing a diaper, he's not allowed to go into the pools. :(

Thanks all for your responses.. I feel hopeful that we both will have a good time!

Lynda

Oooh! I'll definitely email RC's Special needs department, as he does have some developmental delays, and we suspect institutional autism. That would be wonderful if he could be in the Royal Tots program because due to wearing a diaper, he's not allowed to go into the pools. :(

Thanks all for your responses.. I feel hopeful that we both will have a good time!

Lynda

We recently cruised with a 5 yr old child with autism. The special needs dept helped us with a number of issues. I would suggest calling them and talking to a person instead of email. They will flag your reservation as special needs.

We recently cruised with a 5 yr old child with autism. The special needs dept helped us with a number of issues. I would suggest calling them and talking to a person instead of email. They will flag your reservation as special needs.

Marie,

I plan to call tomorrow but thought perhaps someone would know more from experience. I was re-reading the Adventure clubs and realized that the Royal Tots is not a drop off program like I had originally thought. I will address this tomorrow over the phone as much as I love my son, I also want to be able to enjoy myself swimming for a bit each day as we cannot do many excursions due to us bringing the whole family. Many thanks!

Marie,

I plan to call tomorrow but thought perhaps someone would know more from experience. I was re-reading the Adventure clubs and realized that the Royal Tots is not a drop off program like I had originally thought. I will address this tomorrow over the phone as much as I love my son, I also want to be able to enjoy myself swimming for a bit each day as we cannot do many excursions due to us bringing the whole family. Many thanks!

Also I arranged for a table in the dining room next to a window to distract her and this turned out to be a good idea. We did not leave her in the childrens program because she cannot follow directions.

Good luck.

Edited by Marie51

Due to insurance or infection control issues etc they may not be able to change him. But, perhaps you could offer to do that yourself. If you do, I don't see why they wouldn't allow your child to enjoy the program. Congratulations on your new family member and good luck. I really hope it works out.

Hi i will be on the fos oct 12th with my 6 year old daughter who has autism, does anyone have the number for the special needs department as i cant seem to find it. thank you :)

Hi i will be on the fos oct 12th with my 6 year old daughter who has autism, does anyone have the number for the special needs department as i cant seem to find it. thank you :)

Here is the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=414&faqSubjectName=Accessibility+&faqId=4510

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi thanks for the link but its only giving me an email address i was hoping for a telephone number?

Here's the info I found:

For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Fiona, let me know what you find out. I think we'll find that RC will be very accomodating as it was advertised that RC is the first cruiseline to be autism friendly.

Here's the info I found:

For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Fiona, let me know what you find out. I think we'll find that RC will be very accomodating as it was advertised that RC is the first cruiseline to be autism friendly.

Thanks I will call them now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums