17yrs old 3 days to 18th birthday can she go to adults only area on breakaway?

star65

We our considering our first NCL cruise on the breakaway in 2015. My daughter will turn 18, 4 days in to this cruise. I understand that she can't gamble until 18, but would they let her in dance club, adults only pool area, etc...before her birthday? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Although I can understand why some people think this issue is a slippery slope, I don't understand the sarcasm and rudeness of the people on this board. :rolleyes: You can give your opinion on the matter without being rude.

In my view, I would take this as a teachable moment. You could ask when you get there. If they say no, then she has to wait 4 days. If nothing else, you will have taught your child that you aren't going to help her break the rules. Where young people are concerned, I think it's important for them to see their parents do things the right way - with integrity. If they say yes, then it's yes and no harm is done.

ETA: Before someone corrects me, I wasn't trying to imply that mom would sneak her into these places. I'm giving a response for this situation in general.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

OP that is a very valid question. I agree with what some others posted and to just ask NCL. I think that is a good lesson for your child and it will feel like everything is "above board" ;) for her and for you. I hope you weren't scared away from some of the responses. We want you to feel welcome to ask questions without judgement. That is the purpose of cruise critic. Either way I am sure you will have a fabulous time. Enjoy your cruise!

Never mind the snarky comments. You asked a serious question.

For things like the dancing and adult comedy shows there probably won't be a problem. I had a 17 year old on another cruise line and there wasn't an issue (but I haven't had the exact same experience on NCL ... and that 17 year old just had her 34 birthday).

You know your daughter best, and how she will fit in. She will probably act better than a lot of the adults-by-age. I'll bet she would be nicer on an Internet forum discussion than some adults too.

We our considering our first NCL cruise on the breakaway in 2015. My daughter will turn 18, 4 days in to this cruise. I understand that she can't gamble until 18, but would they let her in dance club, adults only pool area, etc...before her birthday? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be snarky but why can't she just follow the rules. It really could be a teachable moment about rules in life. I understand it is no big deal but she can wait 4 days to participate in the dance club and adults only pool area, can't she? The next person will want to extend it to 17 1/2 and then it will be 17 years olds. Where does it stop. Be responsible and abide by the rules.

OP that is a very valid question. I agree with what some others posted and to just ask NCL. I think that is a good lesson for your child and it will feel like everything is "above board" ;) for her and for you. I hope you weren't scared away from some of the responses. We want you to feel welcome to ask questions without judgement. That is the purpose of cruise critic. Either way I am sure you will have a fabulous time. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your understanding response, I appreciate it.

The good news is, since she is still 17, she can utilize the teen club. My dd18 was still 17 on our last cruise, and she met a bunch of people her age that way. Having her come with us into adult areas never came up, because she rarely spent time with us (booked this cruise purposely before her 18th birthday for this reason).

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be snarky but why can't she just follow the rules. It really could be a teachable moment about rules in life. I understand it is no big deal but she can wait 4 days to participate in the dance club and adults only pool area, can't she? The next person will want to extend it to 17 1/2 and then it will be 17 years olds. Where does it stop. Be responsible and abide by the rules.

Oh geez come-on people. There are rules and there are rules. That's life. Take her in and have a great time.

Thanks

They will not check her ID. She will be fine, if you are with her.

I don't think NCL care about adult comedy shows an such as long as you're with her. I certainly saw pretty young teenagers at comedy club on the Epic. Surely this is a parent's decision and adult areas such as bars & dance club is at parent's discretion as long as no alcohol is involved. Don't forget these ships aren't registered in the USA. And lots of passengers are from Europe where 16 year olds are allowed in pubs.

I wouldn't even ask. I'd just walk right in with her as if she was already 18.

If you get caught or questioned about it, you be honest. At that age, I think you have to hold tight on certain big issues like no drinking, no drugs, no sex. But to get into an adult area or to go to comedy night. It isn't a big deal. It's the equivalent of sneaking into an R rated movie.

The good news is, since she is still 17, she can utilize the teen club. My dd18 was still 17 on our last cruise, and she met a bunch of people her age that way. Having her come with us into adult areas never came up, because she rarely spent time with us (booked this cruise purposely before her 18th birthday for this reason).

Thanks but she has hated the kids club since our first cruise!

I wouldn't even ask. I'd just walk right in with her as if she was already 18.

If you get caught or questioned about it, you be honest. At that age, I think you have to hold tight on certain big issues like no drinking, no drugs, no sex. But to get into an adult area or to go to comedy night. It isn't a big deal. It's the equivalent of sneaking into an R rated movie.

Thank you I feel exactly as you do.

I didn't see anyone on any NCL ship I was on questioning or checking ID's.

I would say just go the areas and enjoy your cruise!!! Don't get involved by asking NCL questions- it would only complicate things. What are they going to do, ask for a drivers license? I doubt it. The important thing is just to go and enjoy the week as it goes too quickly.

In fact by 18 one has already lived through 4 leap years likely so technically they are 18.

Edited by HowardK

As long as she isn't drinking or gambling there won't be a problem.

If drinking would be no problem if she doesn't get falling down drunk.

Now as for gambling I think NCL would be more than happy to have her

gamble - but try and collect on the winnings - rather dicey situation !

NCL does not payout to minors !

I didn't see anyone on any NCL ship I was on questioning or checking ID's.

I would say just go the areas and enjoy your cruise!!! Don't get involved by asking NCL questions- it would only complicate things. What are they going to do, ask for a drivers license? I doubt it. The important thing is just to go and enjoy the week as it goes too quickly.

In fact by 18 one has already lived through 4 leap years likely so technically they are 18.

In my view, the age isn't the biggest issue. The issue is integrity. I don't think it's wise to teach a 17 year old that it's okay to ignore the rules. I have never liked that phrase it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission - at least not the way it's applied to day since that phrase has a military history. No one should be teaching a young person who is about to become a young adult and probably go off to college somewhere - where peers will do enough line-blurring - that it's okay to break the rules because you are close enough to meeting the requirements. I'm not judging OP, I'm talking about this issue of encouraging children to break the rules in general terms. I think we should take more care to walk circumspectly in front of our children.