PNG Visa Information

Has anyone traveled very recently to PNG via a cruise that can tell me about the visa situation?

We are due to go there next year for our cruise and was wondering, since I remembered someone saying they were changing their requirements, if anyone had needed to go thru the new process.

First I checked the PNG Visa website to see what it had to say, but for clarification I thought I would email the cruiseline as well as the PNG Consulate Visa Section in Sydney. Of course I have not heard back from the cruiseline yet, but the same day of my email the PNG people in Sydney ema(I did visit iled me a confusing (to me) response. First they stated in the first sentence that all foreign visitors required a visa. Then in the next sentence said that since I was on a cruise that I should check with the cruiseline to see if a visa was required.:eek:

Edited by alibabacruisers

We are on the November Princess cruise to PNG and have been advised that a $6.00 Quarantine fee will be charged to the OB account. You also have to download or call your cruise line for a PNG Declaration Form to be filled in before embarkation. Things could change before your cruise.

On the last PNG cruises with Princess and P&O (31st August & 1st Sept )passengers had to complete the PNG declaration form and also have a photocopy of their passports which were collected at check in (caused a bit of delay as "many" did not have the photocopies or the declaration and we only had one small printer available to do the photocopies.) Do not recall any mention of a visa but that might have been organized on ship.

My brother in law and sister in law are currently on Dawn Princess and did PNG last week. The ship gets them 'Seamens Passes' for PNG after doing the PNG declaration form at check in, as outlined by gbenjo and puts a charge on their ship board account. Full visa for cruisers visiting PNG no longer required. When we Did Sydney to Osaka via PNG on Pacific Princess about 8 years ago we had to get a full visa from PNG Embassy/Consulate in Canberra, bit of a pain, plus the exorbitant cost, bearing in mind we give Millions in foreign aid to PNG.

Edited by NSWP

My brother in law and sister in law are currently on Dawn Princess and did PNG last week. The ship gets them 'Seamens Passes' for PNG after doing the PNG declaration form at check in, as outlined by gbenjo and puts a charge on their ship board account. Full visa for cruisers visiting PNG no longer required. When we Did Sydney to Osaka via PNG on Pacific Princess about 8 years ago we had to get a full visa from PNG Embassy/Consulate in Canberra, bit of a pain, plus the exorbitant cost, bearing in mind we give Millions in foreign aid to PNG.

I'm with you Les. I noticed on the PNG website that there is a list of countries whose residents do not require a visa. The website said specifically that Aussies need a visa (but this doesn't apply to cruise ship visitors). I was stunned that Aussies are discriminated against by needing a visa when we have given millions of dollars of aid.

Do any of you remember how much the cruise ship charged for the visa?

The information gbenjo posted is the same as the notice from Princess. In our case our TA sent the first notice about PNG declaration form and having a photocopy of their passports which were collected at check in, but no mention of charges. We received a later notice that also included the $6.00 "Quarantine fee" to be charged to the OB account. Maybe PNG needs some more cash from the tourists!!

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the November Princess cruise to PNG and have been advised that a $6.00 Quarantine fee will be charged to the OB account. You also have to download or call your cruise line for a PNG Declaration Form to be filled in before embarkation. Things could change before your cruise.

Just off Dawn - Quarantine Fee was mentioned in Cruise Personalizer but not charged, There is a Declaration Form which can be downloaded from Princess site and you need a photocopy of your passport front page.

On Princess's web site we were supposed to have been charged a $6 each quarantine fee and certainly had to fill out a visa application at White bay before embarkation.

When I checked the final account and our cc statement no fees were charged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app