Wharf extension OPT

Just to let all my my loyal followers know....the temporary big white tent at the front of the OPT will no longer exist after the 28th December and the new ground floor area of the terminal will be in use to "marshall" guests before proceeding upstairs for check in (at least for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity..dont know about Carnival). Not clear about the debark just at the moment, it may stay "as is" until the new year. I believe the baggage drop off will still be where it is for now.... but at least we are getting there. The hoardings around the forecourt area will not be removed until February /March, or so I am told.

Cool, I look forward to next February and seeing all the work and the big the difference between now and then.:D

Big dilema !

How will we know the person who checks us is is the real thing .. the real Mr G ...what does he look like. Is this him?

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/dedmazay/dedmazay1110/dedmazay111000067/11004650-porter-on-a-white-background-vector-illustration.jpg

We only want the real GBENJO :D

Regards

John

Nah that's not me, I am better looking than that. :D:D :D...and I don't have a beard. he does look a bit like GUT2407 though.:eek:

My darling wife said " Nope to good looking to be you"

It is so good to be loved.

We arrived at the OPT about 10:45 and were amongst first aboard.

We were asked to go to the far counters to check in I asked if someone could point Graham out to me as I wasted to say G'day to be asked;

"So you're one of the special ones then are you?"

Thanks mate great to meet you.

No she meant the pic was too good looking to be me.

Same here Mic, lovely to meet you all.

Just walked in after a quick trip to Canberra.

A busy day for you, I got home just after noon after stopping for lunch at Eaglehawk and dropping off the kids.:D

A busy day for you, I got home just after noon after stopping for lunch at Eaglehawk and dropping off the kids.:D

We were in Canberra by about 11:00 then the girls wanted a visit to the shops and some lunch then head for home with a few stops on the way.

Nah that's not me, I am better looking than that. :D:D :D...and I don't have a beard. he does look a bit like GUT2407 though.:eek:

Hi there Mic and Gut was the weather good to you in the ports in my part

of Oz, I did read where you came into Burnie a day early due to the wind

in Melbourne.:o:o

A but cool in Hobart and got caught in a spot of rain otherwise all good.

They swapped Burnie and Melbourne, I believe that they were having problems getting Diamond Princess off the Dock in Melb due to high winds.

They did cancel one show due to the crossing to Burnie being a bit rough, been through worse though.

The other crossings were pretty calm.

Just to let all my my loyal followers know....the temporary big white tent at the front of the OPT will no longer exist after the 28th December and the new ground floor area of the terminal will be in use to "marshall" guests before proceeding upstairs for check in (at least for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity..dont know about Carnival).

Great to hear.

I'm sure many will appreciate that the terminal waiting area is now covered.

Both Burnie and Hobart had a few showers, nothing much to ruin any holiday spirit. It certainly didn't even get me wet as we were inside whenever it happened to rain. The first crossing was a bit hairy for some of the large group with us but no reported illness just lack of sleep due to rocking and rolling and thumping into waves. The next 3 crossings were smooth.:D

I slept better on the first crossing [though some people do say I'm a bt strange, not sure why they such things:D], though over diner there were a few ooohs and aaahs as she bounced around a bit and then they cancelled a show because it was dangerous on stage.

Hullo gbenjo,

We will be travelling on the ms Oosterdam with a friend who has ongoing mobility issues. He can walk well on some days and on others, not so well. How does boarding work? If he takes the lift, is the 'gangplank' horizontal or does it slope? What roughly is the distance to the ship from the lift?

You are an amazing source of information and I thank you very much for all your tips and good humour.

Happy New Year!

fe

Hullo gbenjo,

We will be travelling on the ms Oosterdam with a friend who has ongoing mobility issues. He can walk well on some days and on others, not so well. How does boarding work? If he takes the lift, is the 'gangplank' horizontal or does it slope? What roughly is the distance to the ship from the lift?

You are an amazing source of information and I thank you very much for all your tips and good humour.

Happy New Year!

fe

Thank you, appreciate the compliment. The new ground floor level of the terminal is now open and has direct access to the new lifts which take you up to the existing check in level but the baggage drop off is still outside the building near the big tree and I would say the distance you would need to walk from the street to ship wrould be around three or four hundred metres with a number of "stops" along the way for check in, customs and security The gangway up to the ship does have a little bit of slope to it and depends on tide levels and what deck the gangway is attached to. I only work with Royal & Celebrity so do not know what the set up is for Holland America but it would be similar . I would suggest your friend take advantage of the wheelchair assist service to make things easier and comfortable for him. Just a matter of registering for the wheelchair when arriving at the terminal and he can sit back and enjoy the ride:D The cruiselines would prefer that guests use the chairs rather than perhaps struggling by themselves for the sake, sometimes, of a bit of pride.

Well finally the first stage of the terminal refurb is complete. The big white "mustering"tent at the front of the building has gone (even though, for the time being, the baggage drop is still there) but there is now a much more civilized area for guests Above the"circular" air conditioning outlets is the new mezzanine level which is not yet quite ready (will hold judgement on "that" area until comlpeted...Hmmm)

28gwobb.jpg

The new lifts

2ypj2bp.jpg

Looking back from the new area toward the original entrance area. Behind the black screening are new entrance doors which open out onto the forecourt area (ready Feb /March)

28h23v8.jpg

Edited by gbenjo

Thanks for the update. Are the lifts in the same location as before?

So now you queue totally inside the building, no more queues outside at all?

No, the new" additional" lifts are basically on your left hand side as you go up the original escalators (which will still be used)

At the moment, (until the reno is completely finished) they are still checking that you are a "bona fide" passenger before you enter the building so there may be a slight hold up just at the entrance but yes .... NO MORE OUTSIDE QUEUES:D:D:D

Yey! We are sailing on Solstice late March so hoping it will all be finished by then.

I have been looking back through this thread to see if you ever posted a link to a floor plan of the changes, are there any available to see?

Unfortunately not, at least none that I know of, I was trying myself but could not get any.

Well finally the first stage of the terminal refurb is complete. The big white "mustering"tent at the front of the building has gone (even though, for the time being, the baggage drop is still there) but there is now a much more civilized area for guests Above the"circular" air conditioning outlets is the new mezzanine level which is not yet quite ready (will hold judgement on "that" area until comlpeted...Hmmm)

28gwobb.jpg

Forgot to mention This area is also the" intended" new luggage hall for debarking passengers.

No, the new" additional" lifts are basically on your left hand side as you go up the original escalators (which will still be used)

At the moment, (until the reno is completely finished) they are still checking that you are a "bona fide" passenger before you enter the building so there may be a slight hold up just at the entrance but yes .... NO MORE OUTSIDE QUEUES:D:D:D

No more outside queues... that will be wonderful on those hot or wet days. Our next one is in March so hoping it will all be finished by then. :D