Another example of the need for insurance

nbsjcruiser

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2001659

I feel bad for them and their loss but the surviving partner got more than I would have expected he would have. He should be taking what he can get and move on with his life. To bad mouth the cruise line for doing something that they did NOT have to do is not right. They could have told him to go pound sand but they gave him $1500. As I said, I feel bad for his loss but he does not come off so good in this piece.

While it's a sad story, I think Princess went over and above. Maybe they shouldn't have, since the passenger has now chosen to slam them in the media for giving him a $1,500 credit that he wasn't contractually entitled to.

What a tragic circumstance. But this is exactly what trip insurance is for.

I think it's a shame that the news agency decided to spin it as a sob story. It's right there in the contracts that there are no refunds after a certain point. It's not hidden information.

And it's not like he would have had an easy go of it with any airline tickets either. Yeah sure, go ahead and try and transfer those and see what sort of fees you get socked with.

Why do people that don't pay for insurance, feel they are entitled to the same benefits as those that pay for it when a situation arises.

My thoughts exactly. Sure it's sad about his partner, but everyone who cancels has a story to tell. Why should he get any kind of refund (over and above the usual) when he didn't buy the insurance. Meanwhile all the rest of us are dishing out hundreds of dollars for every trip we book.

Kudos to Princess for going over and above. But it's unfortunate. Because not only are they getting slammed for this, they are now going to have lots of other people, who didn't buy the insurance, expecting similar handouts when things go wrong. It's not fair to them, and it's not fair to the rest of us who paid for it.

I feel bad for all companies who get called the "BAD GUY" for helping people and extending a benefit they did not have to, because it wasn't enough? they could afford more?

Today it seems everyone want it all for nothing or even less. Yes I do not like over paying or getting stuck when something happens unexpected. That is what insurance is for. I hear it from my clients that they are insurance poor from paying so many premiums until they get a claim and enjoy the benefits if needed. That is why I tell them if you do not want to buy it now, get the cash ready, call me two weeks before you die or get diagnosed with a non insurable disease and we can get a policy going.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the cruise insurance. You've spent so much on the cruise, the insurance is usually just a few hundred dollars more. I get it every time but thankfully have never had to use it.

I had to use it once in Nassau when I broke my collar bone. With the benefit of insurance I was able to select a private hospital, pay for it on a CC, was in an out in under an hour and was able to carry on to my cruise. It was a great source of comfort knowing, not matter what the cost I didn't care. I got my money back.

I had to use it once in Nassau when I broke my collar bone. With the benefit of insurance I was able to select a private hospital, pay for it on a CC, was in an out in under an hour and was able to carry on to my cruise. It was a great source of comfort knowing, not matter what the cost I didn't care. I got my money back.

So glad you had insurance and the peace of mind!

If he had just bought the insurance, he would have been covered. If he found the insurance portion of the website confusing (umm, yeah, too confusing), then book by phone.

Considering how late he cancelled and that he failed to insure, Princess was exceedingly kind. Yet still, this man and this TV broadcast slam them.

And another wrinkle to consider...what might have happened if the partner had suffered liver failure a week or so later while on the cruise. Not only would the trip be ruined, there might be huge international medical bills. And maybe big bills to get the sick man back to Canada. If they are trying to inform the public about the importance of insurance, isn't that the much, much bigger risk faced by viewers?

Edited by Starry Eyes

My insurance does not cover out of the states and my husband Medicare and supplement does not. So we always get it for various reason. Having to cancel a cruise due to his upcoming surgery. We are in the process of getting money back I hope. Always take the trip insurance...

And always remember that if you have any kind of pre-existing condition that the insurance company could come back on, PLEASE buy the insurance within 14 days of purchasing your cruise, otherwise they won't pay if you have to cancel. My Mom has had some health issues on and off over the years, so I always make her get the insurance within 14 days because insurance companies can call just about anything a pre-existing condition.

I don't really see what the problem is. The man should just upgrade his stateroom and use all of his $1500. ;)

And another wrinkle to consider...what might have happened if the partner had suffered liver failure a week or so later while on the cruise. Not only would the trip be ruined, there might be huge international medical bills. And maybe big bills to get the sick man back to Canada. If they are trying to inform the public about the importance of insurance, isn't that the much, much bigger risk faced by viewers?

Good point. They were very lucky that the partner did not get sick on the cruise.

I was on a cruise almost 2 weeks ago. We came home on a Monday. By Thursday, I was in the hospital (should have gone to ER on Tuesday) for a couple of nights. We do always buy the insurance, but so glad that I was not on the cruise when my incident happened. How miserable that would have been. :(

And always remember that if you have any kind of pre-existing condition that the insurance company could come back on, PLEASE buy the insurance within 14 days of purchasing your cruise, otherwise they won't pay if you have to cancel. My Mom has had some health issues on and off over the years, so I always make her get the insurance within 14 days because insurance companies can call just about anything a pre-existing condition.

Or buy CSA Luxe within 24 hours of final payment to cover pre-existing.

Edited by Iamthesea

ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the cruise insurance. You've spent so much on the cruise, the insurance is usually just a few hundred dollars more. I get it every time but thankfully have never had to use it.

I agree with you. When I had my injury during a shore excursion, I was able to go to the onboard medical center knowing that my medical care would be covered because I had purchased trip insurance. That offered great peace of mind.

When my husband and friend were on the Grandeur of the Seas cruise that had the fire last year, even though Royal Caribbean covered all of the costs, it was nice to know that the trip insurance they had for that trip would have stepped in as well to cover the costs to get them back home and for the lost vacation.

My insurance does not cover out of the states and my husband Medicare and supplement does not.

Look into other supplementals. this might be a state-dependent thing (when we go looking I have to give MIL's exact zip code to get the offerings in her area) so you might not be able to get it, but MIL now has "schedule F" supplemental through AARP/UHC and it covers 80% abroad. Medicare doesn't, but the supplemental does.

Look into other supplementals. this might be a state-dependent thing (when we go looking I have to give MIL's exact zip code to get the offerings in her area) so you might not be able to get it, but MIL now has "schedule F" supplemental through AARP/UHC and it covers 80% abroad. Medicare doesn't, but the supplemental does.

Thanks

I will check details on mine too

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry for his loss and Princess went over and above what they needed to do. Travel insurance is for more than cancelation of a cruise. It covers lost luggage, medical or dental emergencies, trip interuption, medical evacuation. I know you need to pay for some items up front. We were lucky we had insurance when my husband became ill on a cruise. The hospital accepted a letter from the travel insurance company guarenteeing the charges up to the limit on our policy and they also paid the air evac from the ship to the hospital. Another good thing to remember is make sure you have a credit card with enough credit available to cover your expenses.