Positive thoughts on MDR and DD

jayblue

I like the MDR as it currently is because going to dinner there feels like an actual experience...you get dressed up decently, have a drink, have a fancy venue and nice menu to choose from. I do like meeting my tablemates because we aren't the types to just start chatting up random people otherwise. We don't frequently go out to 'nice' restaurants at home.

After some thought, I'm willing to give DD a shot. It won't be as fancy although I'm sure we'd dress up for the formal place at least once. I like that this makes things more flexible for those with kids, because next time we'll probably have our son along. I also like the flexibility for reasons like, some nights I might be hungry early and some nights we might want to play around in the pool and go later. And it obviously is a big selling point for Norwegian, enough that RCI wants to copy it, so it can't be that terrible.

I'm primarily nervous about lines and wait times but, we've learned already to consciously avoid the herd mentality that permeates the Windjammer's eating times, so the same idea would probably apply here.

Edited by PuterMonkey

Again--my post is to give a positive view. We have heard over and over and over again what people don't like. What I am looking for is what RCI is doing right, in both the MDR (which we know and love) and DD (which we don't know, but are looking forward to).

If I was to send RCI a letter today, it would be begging them to keep both. I love variety, but also love the MDR (and see no reason for it to be completely eliminated).

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jayblue

Again--my post is to give a positive view. We have over and over and over again what people don't like. What I am looking for is what RCI is doing right, in both the MDR (which we know and love) and DD (which we don't know, but are looking forward to).

If I was to send RCI a letter today, it would be begging them to keep both. I love variety, but also love the MDR (and see no reason for it to be completely eliminated).

Don't see how you can keep both, logistical nightmare unless the MDR sign ups are not allowed to go anywhere else

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Don't see how you can keep both, logistical nightmare unless the MDR sign ups are not allowed to go anywhere else

I think they could, just make the restaurant smaller.

I think they could, just make the restaurant smaller.

Yes, but who gets to use it. Right now there is enough capacity to get everyone in the MDR in one of the two sittings

Yes, but who gets to use it. Right now there is enough capacity to get everyone in the MDR in one of the two sittings

My caffeine/sleep-deprived brain just said: "Huh?"

My caffeine/sleep-deprived brain just said: "Huh?"

Lets look at FOS, 3 tier MDR holds around 2000 passengers per sitting, passenger counts run between 3600 and 4200. Every passenger can probably expect to be assigned to a permanent table in MDR now. If we lose 1/3 of the MDR capacity for new DD venues and make MDR smaller, who gets to use the MDR. Also if one is assigned to MDR, are they allowed to try out the other free venues of DD. People that choose DD over MDR should have priority for those slots. Just seems like a nightmare to schedule if we have both types of venues. And that doesn't address MTD, which definaltely has supporters. BTW, I like MDR but am interested in DD as well, and wife is practically in tears about the change because she is a solo many times a year.. change is inevtible

Edited by John&LaLa
forgot to mention ship class

Lets look at FOS, 3 tier MDR holds around 2000 passengers per sitting, passenger counts run between 3600 and 4200. Every passenger can probably expect to be assigned to a permanent table in MDR now. If we lose 1/3 of the MDR capacity for new DD venues and make MDR smaller, who gets to use the MDR. Also if one is assigned to MDR, are they allowed to try out the other free venues of DD. People that choose DD over MDR should have priority for those slots. Just seems like a nightmare to schedule if we have both types of venues. And that doesn't address MTD, which definaltely has supporters. BTW, I like MDR but am interested in DD as well, and wife is practically in tears about the change because she is a solo many times a year.. change is inevtible

What if they were to allow MDR lovers a standing reservation in a smaller dining area for the duration of the cruise, but leave a few slots of MTD for people, like me, who want the MDR experience for one or two nights (limited).

As the numbers in that MDR dwindle, as they are likely to, then ships can transition to DD.

It may not necessarily be cost effective, but it beats cutting loyal customers off at the knees.

When speaking of the elegance of the MDR, there just aren't many times at home I'm eating with more than a single utensil. I like being spoiled with the experience. It's like several months' of "fine dining trips" rolled into a week.

Of course, I don't see DD setting the bar lower in this respect. Not like they'll be setting up picnic tables and paper plates.

I have also enjoyed the camaraderie of getting good table mates. We did best on this on Radiance where our "neighbors" on either side were at our MDR table. Good times on that cruise, MDR and elsewhere, with them. That I'll miss.

It's not going to be "Shock, horror, calamity, I'll never sail RCL again." whenever DD starts filtering through the fleet. We generally made the decision of "MDR or Specialty" during cocktail hour in the CL. I don't appreciate the 'planning way ahead' aspect but I'm the kind of person that doesn't know or even much care now what's for dinner tonight. Think that November 4th, 2015 is on the radar at this point? But for us, look at the list in the signature. With that short list of cruises I don't think we're too set in our ways.

It's been said elsewhere that there seems to be an inordinate level of paranoia and speculation on things that aren't even near announced or even finalized. I have to agree there. For example: there seems to be some real fear there will be no "safe" menu. I can't fathom there's no way to get a fairly uncomplicated strip steak or grilled chicken breast under the new regime - particularly with your waiter now possibly having one chance to impress you for an additional tip rather than the entire trip. I got far bigger worries than 'what if I hate everything on the menu on one night of my next cruise?'

Maybe that wasn't exactly the "positive" the OP was looking for. I know it'll be different, but betting not nearly so negative as some seem to fear.

When speaking of the elegance of the MDR, there just aren't many times at home I'm eating with more than a single utensil. I like being spoiled with the experience. It's like several months' of "fine dining trips" rolled into a week.

Of course, I don't see DD setting the bar lower in this respect. Not like they'll be setting up picnic tables and paper plates.

I have also enjoyed the camaraderie of getting good table mates. We did best on this on Radiance where our "neighbors" on either side were at our MDR table. Good times on that cruise, MDR and elsewhere, with them. That I'll miss.

It's not going to be "Shock, horror, calamity, I'll never sail RCL again." whenever DD starts filtering through the fleet. We generally made the decision of "MDR or Specialty" during cocktail hour in the CL. I don't appreciate the 'planning way ahead' aspect but I'm the kind of person that doesn't know or even much care now what's for dinner tonight. Think that November 4th, 2015 is on the radar at this point? But for us, look at the list in the signature. With that short list of cruises I don't think we're too set in our ways.

It's been said elsewhere that there seems to be an inordinate level of paranoia and speculation on things that aren't even near announced or even finalized. I have to agree there. For example: there seems to be some real fear there will be no "safe" menu. I can't fathom there's no way to get a fairly uncomplicated strip steak or grilled chicken breast under the new regime - particularly with your waiter now possibly having one chance to impress you for an additional tip rather than the entire trip. I got far bigger worries than 'what if I hate everything on the menu on one night of my next cruise?'

Maybe that wasn't exactly the "positive" the OP was looking for. I know it'll be different, but betting not nearly so negative as some seem to fear.

Well said! And this IS what I was looking for! ;)

just an observation, but why would someone with 62,000 posts have an issue with planning a few dinners and shows. :confused:

Because it is no longer a relaxing experience. Just off the Adventure and we had perfect servers and food was great. Why do we need to give that up. Some of us have tried freestyle on NCL and know how bad it can be. Indifferent waiters with dinners so uneven in service planned shows were missed.

Because it is no longer a relaxing experience. Just off the Adventure and we had perfect servers and food was great. Why do we need to give that up. Some of us have tried freestyle on NCL and know how bad it can be. Indifferent waiters with dinners so uneven in service planned shows were missed.

Founding Member of the Internet Coalition to Stamp Out Whining

Did you give up on your coalition? :p

In our early cruising years (20 years ago) the MDR was a special part of the cruise. Looking back I think that had to do with how glamorous it seemed to us as a young couple who had not experienced anything like it. As we have taken more cruises we have seen the MDR experience change and not because of any one reason. Different policies, different ships, different cruisers have all had an impact. I also believe being older and with more life experiences the MDR does not hold the same mystique.

I can say we certainly enjoyed the MDR in the past but our crushing priorities and preferences have changed. I see DD as part of this change and look forward to the experience.

As far as the planning that goes along with this change all I can say is after sailing on the Allure and the planning that was required I don't see DD planning as burdensome. In fact this is what I have enjoyed about crushing all these years that it does take planning. Whether it is just organizing your day using the cruise compass in your cabin or using the cruise planner months before there has always been some planning required.

I am so looking forward to my upcoming Oasis cruise and DD or MDR I know it will be fantastic and I doubt I will go hungry and not have some memorable meals/experiences.

I think the DD menus sound interesting and, I am willing to give it a try if there is a ship I want to cruise on that happens to have it. But, I am not thrilled with the idea of having to make advance reservations, this is one of the reasons we have not sailed on Oasis or Allure and will probably not sail on the Quantum ships.

I am hoping if DD is expanded, it works out that it's not difficult without a reservation to get a table at the restaurant you want.

Sherri:)

[quote name='MichaelCMTX']When speaking of the elegance of the MDR, there just aren't many times at home I'm eating with more than a single utensil. I like being spoiled with the experience. It's like several months' of "fine dining trips" rolled into a week.

It's not going to be "Shock, horror, calamity, I'll never sail RCL again." whenever DD starts filtering through the fleet. We generally made the decision of "MDR or Specialty" during cocktail hour in the CL. I don't appreciate the 'planning way ahead' aspect but I'm the kind of person that doesn't know or even much care now what's for dinner [I]tonight[/I]. Think that November 4th, 2015 is on the radar at this point? But for us, look at the list in the signature. With that short list of cruises I don't think we're too set in our ways.

Maybe that wasn't exactly the "positive" the OP was looking for. I know it'll be different, but betting not nearly so negative as some seem to fear.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. I do not believe RCI will let anyone go hungry.

[quote name='abridalmaven']Wow. How rude can you be? A question was asked and answered. I like what I like and don't judge others[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it is just to easy to critique cutesy signatures. Get over it

[quote name='gayle v']why i would prefer traditional main dining room experience:

Top reason: Meeting new table mates each cruise and getting to know them through the rest of the week. We have often made friends of our table mates, made plans to get together to go to the show, or have drinks later. Sometime we arranged excursions together. One couple we even ended up cruising together again.

No making reservations.

No need to be shown to my table each night. Our table is ready and waiting for us every night.

Same waiters each night, who have my water with lemon and hubby's wine ready as soon as we show.

I like the different food themes, but also having "always available items" for when the food is too strange.

Having the timing of our dining match up to the timing of the traditional main show. No worry about getting done on time.

Love the elegant atmosphere the mdr has always had.[/quote]

like!!!!!

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]a simple request.....although when feeding thousands it is not always easy to accomplish such a simple task....:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]WARM rolls.....i love rolls/bread and nothing tastier than the butter melting on a warm roll....also they are softer unlike many rolls i have eaten that are hard as a rock....:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]that is my simple wish.....everything else in the MDR is satisfactory as far as we are concerned.....bon appetit.....:)[/COLOR][/SIZE]