Birth certificate question

sunset785

My parents are traveling with us in March on their first cruise. They will be using their birth certificates. Since my moms maiden name is on her b.c. , will she need to bring her marriage license to show her name change? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She should, but chances are she won't need it.

FWIW, I would still encourage the folks to get the passport. If you need reasons why, just ask, or do a search. Been talked about lots.

My favorite reason is this one: While you can buy insurance, or Choice Air, to be sure you don't miss ship, remember this: While it's possible to cruise with just a BC and government issued ID, if your flight is late, and you miss your ship, you can fly to catch up with your ship at it's first stop, if you have a passport. But if you do not have a passport, and you miss that ship, your vacation is instantly over.

Edited by Gayle V

Yes. Just make sure that the Birth Certificate is an official one (and not a hospital issued one). You do need to bring a bridging document to link the name on her birth certificate to the name on her driver's license (or other government issued photo ID)

No...NO married woman's name on her BC will match her DL.....it's the birth date they're looking at.

My wife's does. She kept her maiden name for professional reasons, and maiden names in combination with the husband's surname are quite common in latin cultures. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No...NO married woman's name on her BC will match her DL.....it's the birth date they're looking at.

I agree. There is no reason to bring a marriage license to prove anything. Your drivers license in married nmae is sufficient.

A reason you need to bring a marriage license is if you booked a cruise in your new married name and don't have picture ID (license) in that name

She likely won't be asked for it, but of course she SHOULD carry that document that shows the legal name change.

For those who are comfy with western culture women having BCs that NEVER match their DLs....how do you feel about a man having a different name, with no bridging document. Is it still as comfy for you? Or do you start having thoughts like "how can they possibly know that this is the correct person?"

I know I have funny feelings about women never being asked for that bridging document. Because when DH decides to change his name to mine, I know 100% that he will ALWAYS be asked to prove that the person on the BC is the same person as is on the DL. (this is pretending like we would cruise with BCs and DLs again...the only time he did it was when his passport was sent off for a Russian visa for a trip just after we got back from the cruise) Since he will always be asked, I think everyone should always be asked. It's just not secure, to have a group of people who can have totally and completely different names (what about those women who go from something like Mary Elizabeth Jones to something like Mary Jones Gutierrez, eliminating their birth middle names and using maiden as middle? that's just crazy to not have to prove who you are).

Thanks all. I'll have her bring it just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's what she should do.

I would ignore the advice of those who say you don't need it.

It states on the cruiseline website that a bridging document is required if the names on the BC and DL do not match.

They may not always ask for it, but you don't want to be without it in the case that you are asked.