Corking fee stamp at check-in?

dazee8

And just which tune would that be? :D I'm still laughing! On our last cruise out of FLL we were with a couple who took their 2 "cabin bottles" to the table to be stamped and then rolled their carry on luggage stocked with wine aboard the ship. No corkage fees were paid! They were so proud of themselves! :eek:

In the last couple of weeks there have been posters here and on other CC cruise line sites explaining how to beat the SBP requirements that all adults in a cabin must participate and purchase the package. And apparently "no sharing" means nothing. Such a sad reflection on society today. :(

Edited by Linda&Vern

In the last couple of weeks there have been posters here and on other CC cruise line sites explaining how to beat the SBP requirements that all adults in a cabin must participate and purchase the package. And apparently "no sharing" means nothing. Such a sad reflection on society today. :(

They should be ashamed of themselves but it would seem they are not or they would not be bragging on an internet forum about stealing.

First, I hope you realize that I was joking about the multicolor sticker pack. We've always paid corkage, even under old system, because we take our wine to dinner with us.

Second, we purchased the SBP back in the spring and all of the adults (both DW and I) had to purchase the Signature Beverage Package. They wouldn't sell just one. While servers would allow me to order a beverage for my wife, it was really only after they knew who we were.

I think the poster was assuming that everyone travels in couples, which drives me crazy. We don't.

Perhaps; that's a possibility. But that's not what KK said.

People who don't know the new system could have been confused, or thought they were allowed two bottles without paying corkage, regardless of how many adults were in the cabin.

If one drinks wine at the bars, the choices for by the glass that are permitted in SBP really aren't all that wonderful. You cannot pay a bit additional to get a better wine. You have to purchase beverage that costs $7 or under.

Same goes if you like a premium liquor such as a particular scotch that costs more than $7. Be sure your drink is permitted under the SBP before becoming committed to having it.

First, I hope you realize that I was joking about the multicolor sticker pack.

Oh come on ! ! ! ! I thought the sticker pack was a good deal . . . will have to find another "dealer". :D

We happily pay the corkage - in fact on our last cruise, we brought on a couple of bottles of champagne for sail-away (this was before the 1 bottle of wine per person rule), and brought them up for sail-away. The servers were quick to bring us glasses - and ask for our cards to charge us the $15 corkage per bottle. Totally forgot the champagne was to have been consumed in our cabin.:eek: Didn't matter, we paid the fee, enjoyed sail-away and that was it. We follow the rules, but it's fun to think what it would be like to be a rebel !

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

First, I hope you realize that I was joking about the multicolor sticker pack. We've always paid corkage, even under old system, because we take our wine to dinner with us.

Second, we purchased the SBP back in the spring and all of the adults (both DW and I) had to purchase the Signature Beverage Package. They wouldn't sell just one. While servers would allow me to order a beverage for my wife, it was really only after they knew who we were.

Oh POA1 - Of course I knew your multicolor stickers were a funny. There was no doubt in my mind. :D I'm not going to quote the posts I've found about sharing the SBP because I refuse to give anyone ideas. But the posts are out there, some buried in other topics. And I felt sick reading them.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Oh POA1 - Of course I knew your multicolor stickers were a funny. There was no doubt in my mind. :D I'm not going to quote the posts I've found about sharing the SBP because I refuse to give anyone ideas. But the posts are out there, some buried in other topics. And I felt sick reading them.

I don't think you have to worry about giving people ideas. It seems we can't go a week without a thread asking how/if they can beat the system.

After you enter the terminal and go through security, there is a table set up for those bringing on wine.

The first 2 bottles they do not put a sticker on them -- at least they didn't for people in Ft Lauderdale. But any extra bottles, they do put stickers on them. They will take you cabin number and name and charge the corkage fee to your shipboard account.

Once that is done, you proceed to the check-in area.

Has anyone ever asked for all bottles be "stickered" at the corkage desk so they have the option of bringing any bottle to any dining area? Although it is great to have cocktails in your own cabin, sometimes a bottle is better with an entire meal. Thoughts?

Thanks. :)

Edited by dazee8

Has anyone ever asked for all bottles be "stickered" at the corkage desk so they have the option of bringing any bottle to any dining area? Although it is great to have cocktails in your own cabin, sometimes a bottle is better with an entire meal. Thoughts?

Yes. That's what we did. However, if there is an off chance that you might drink something in your room, like Champagne for a toast, or a bottle for wine and cheese, use that wine as your "free allowance." Once it's stickered, you can't get a refund on the corkage.

It's easy to pay the corkage in a dining venue if you need to. Your wine steward will simply present you with a check at the end of the meal.

Yes. That's what we did. However, if there is an off chance that you might drink something in your room, like Champagne for a toast, or a bottle for wine and cheese, use that wine as your "free allowance." Once it's stickered, you can't get a refund on the corkage.

It's easy to pay the corkage in a dining venue if you need to. Your wine steward will simply present you with a check at the end of the meal.

Yes, I was asking if even the "free allowance" bottles could be stickered along with other bottles, but you only pay the corkage for bottles #3- whatever. This would give you the option using any bottle at any dining venue. This has been helpful for us and wondered if others asked for this to be done.

Yes, I was asking if even the "free allowance" bottles could be stickered along with other bottles, but you only pay the corkage for bottles #3- whatever. This would give you the option using any bottle at any dining venue. This has been helpful for us and wondered if others asked for this to be done.

Since we knew that all our wine was earmarked for dinner, we arranged for corkage on all of it before boarding. The beverage stewards doing wine check in told us that we got one bottle per person at no charge, but once we explained what we were doing, they stickered the whole lot.

You just need to make sure that you want to drink everything outside your stateroom. You can uncork your wine, but you can't unpay your corkage. :)

There is no way we would have tried to sneak our wine onboard. We had two cases, so it's not you just casually walk through, whistling a happy tune, with 24 bottles. Also, it's wrong. (I think the corkage fees are fair, and I'm more than satisfied paying $18 a bottle to drink what we want.)

I understand about the 1 free bottle/p and then paying an $18/bottle. But is there a limit as to how many bottles of wine you can bring onboard?

I understand about the 1 free bottle/p and then paying an $18/bottle. But is there a limit as to how many bottles of wine you can bring onboard?

You must carry it on yourself, so it depends on how much you can carry.

Since we knew that all our wine was earmarked for dinner, we arranged for corkage on all of it before boarding. The beverage stewards doing wine check in told us that we got one bottle per person at no charge, but once we explained what we were doing, they stickered the whole lot.

You just need to make sure that you want to drink everything outside your stateroom. You can uncork your wine, but you can't unpay your corkage. :)

I wish they would also place stickers on the free allowance bottles, making them what they truly are ”free.” But I understand the policy and shall adjust our budget to account for this.

I also read your delightful commentary and scientific research about the SBP and $50 beverage cards from your recent cruise on the Noordam. Just wondering, did anyone pose the question about turning in the $50 beverage card to be a $50 credit on their bill?

I wish they would also place stickers on the free allowance bottles, making them what they truly are ”free.” But I understand the policy and shall adjust our budget to account for this.

I also read your delightful commentary and scientific research about the SBP and $50 beverage cards from your recent cruise on the Noordam. Just wondering, did anyone pose the question about turning in the $50 beverage card to be a $50 credit on their bill?

The reason to not put a sticker on the corkage free bottles is because they are only corkage free if they are consumed in your cabin. If you bring them out of your cabin to MDR for example, they would be subject to the corkage fee.

The concierge told us that we had to use the $50 Explore 4 Beverage Card (Single use card from the Caribbean, not the 15 drinks a day version) or we would lose the credit. That differs from a card you would buy yourself, where you get the full amount no matter what.

I agree that it would make sense if they had a different color sticker for the free allowance bottle(s). In fact, I sort of recall someone saying that they did, but that was in Sydney. Perhaps the Australians are flush with stickers? If they stickered the "free" bottles when you checked them in, it might help to encourage accountability.

The concierge told us that we had to use the $50 Explore 4 Beverage Card (Single use card from the Caribbean, not the 15 drinks a day version) or we would lose the credit. That differs from a card you would buy yourself, where you get the full amount no matter what.

I agree that it would make sense if they had a different color sticker for the free allowance bottle(s). In fact, I sort of recall someone saying that they did, but that was in Sydney. Perhaps the Australians are flush with stickers? If they stickered the "free" bottles when you checked them in, it might help to encourage accountability.

I appreciate your input on the $50 Explore 4 Beverage Card that it must be used for drinks and not just added to bill for a credit. We also have the Explore 4 promo attached to our upcoming cruise to Alaska, but if there is a refare the promo might be lost.

I like your idea about the different colored stickers for the free allowance bottles. Perhaps that might be added to keep better accounting.

We are also looking at adding the Suite Amenities Package to our cabin as we had on our last cruise. We enjoyed many parts of the package: VIP disembarkation, $50 beverage card, free laundry/pressing, Pinnacle dinner, and we brought both bottles of wine to dinner (no corkage). The one thing we couldn't take advantage of were the lovely HAL robes which were they had none onboard. The ship didn't even get a supply on turn-around day in Seattle. Long story short, the price of two robes were added as onboard credit to our bill. Keeping our fingers crossed they have robes this time.

Cheers! :)

When we took wine on our last cruise, I had 2 bottles I paid corkage on. No stickers on them, which made me uncomfortable.... how could they tell the corkage-paid vs the non-paid, right? When I asked, I was told "oh we know". To me, that didn't sound like any kind of reasonable answer ;)