What can I expect on the California coastal?

nschille04

Hello,

I have been on two princess cruises in the past - both 7 day Caribbean. My husband and I decided to give the 4 day California coastal a shot tho it since it's closer and wouldn't require so much time away from work. We are sailing the Golden (have previously sailed emerald). Aside from being shorter and not being Caribbean, what other big differences will I notice? Is there anything they cut or add for these 4 day cruises?

Thanks !!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since these Coastals usually do not really go anywhere special, you will encounter many bargain-hunters and first-timers.

The open decks on many coastal cruises are not as comfortable, weather-wise, as Caribbean Cruises. All the people who would normally be outside will instead be inside with you - usually standing in a long line for something.

When are you going? The weather can be anything.

These cruises are on the casual side.

No formal night but will have lobster on the menu one night.

Northbound can be a bit bumpy because you're going against the currents from Alaska.

Check out the West Coast, Mexican Riviera boards and California Coastal boards for more info.

Hi,

I prefer longer cruises, but I have done two of the West Coast Getaway cruises: (1) Golden Princess 4-day to Catalina Island and Ensenada in September 2013 and (2) Sapphire Princess 4-day to San Diego and Ensenada in January 2014. These are nice breaks without having to miss too much work. I enjoyed both cruises and thought the food and service were comparable to the longer cruises. Also, there was excellent entertainment. During my cruises, the weather was very nice. I didn't miss the formal night (fewer clothes to pack). In fact, I recently decided to book a short cruise on the Ruby Princess for September 2015.

Chuck

When are you going? The weather can be anything.

These cruises are on the casual side.

No formal night but will have lobster on the menu one night.

Northbound can be a bit bumpy because you're going against the currents from Alaska.

Check out the West Coast, Mexican Riviera boards and California Coastal boards for more info.

No lobster on the 4 day cruises.

Since these Coastals usually do not really go anywhere special, you will encounter many bargain-hunters and first-timers.

The open decks on many coastal cruises are not as comfortable, weather-wise, as Caribbean Cruises. All the people who would normally be outside will instead be inside with you - usually standing in a long line for something.

Killjoy.

We are stopping in Catalina and Ensenada.

Neither place is very big, and there isn't much to do, frankly. (Others might disagree.) I take advantage of these port days to enjoy the ship. The pools aren't crowded, nor is the buffet. I haven't been ashore in Ensenada for years. You will decide for yourself, of course, what you want to do.

Neither place is very big, and there isn't much to do, frankly. (Others might disagree.) I take advantage of these port days to enjoy the ship. The pools aren't crowded, nor is the buffet. I haven't been ashore in Ensenada for years. You will decide for yourself, of course, what you want to do.

There's a great zipline/suspension bridge place just outside Ensenada, and it costs about a thousandth of what a Princess zipline excursion costs. http://www.lascanadas.com/en/Canopy-Tour-Zipline-in-Ensenada-Baja-California.php

Edited by shepp

Hi,

I prefer longer cruises, but I have done two of the West Coast Getaway cruises: (1) Golden Princess 4-day to Catalina Island and Ensenada in September 2013 and (2) Sapphire Princess 4-day to San Diego and Ensenada in January 2014. These are nice breaks without having to miss too much work. I enjoyed both cruises and thought the food and service were comparable to the longer cruises. Also, there was excellent entertainment. During my cruises, the weather was very nice. I didn't miss the formal night (fewer clothes to pack). In fact, I recently decided to book a short cruise on the Ruby Princess for September 2015.

Chuck

We prefer longer cruises as well. We recently took the 4-day on Carnival to Santa Catalina and Ensenada. We toured Santa Catalina by ourselves but took the wine tour in Ensenada. If I had to choose between the 4-day Mexican or the 4-day California coastal, I would pick the Mexican cruise. Warmer weather, and one can tour the California coastal by car year round.

P.S. The wine tour was excellent. We went to two wineries L.A. Cetto and another one. Everyone on the tour got a free bottle of wine -- which was very good. We're doing a Hawaiian cruise in January and Ensenada is our last stop and I've already booked the wine tour again. Others have said that the cheese tour is also very good. But we liked getting the free bottle of wine.

Edited by elliair

We're sailing the Golden in 29 days- our 2nd short coastal trip. Like others, this is just a quick break from work, but still a very enjoyable time. I've been on longer cruises with both Princess and RCCL, and I believe it is what you make it. There are no "amazing" shore excursions- we're going to San Diego and Ensendada. But, we purposely chose it so that we could sit back, kick back, relax and enjoy the water going by.

I've never noticed any decrease in attention or decrease in quality of food/entertainment on the shorter cruises. Yes, they can be a bit more boisterous since more types of people can afford it, but that's never been an issue. Given the size of the ship, there's something for everyone, and I've never felt overcrowded.

We are really not formal nite people anyway, so being that there isnt one suits us just fine. We got off the ship in Ensendada last time and for us, there wasnt much to see. This time we'll likely go to a bar and drink some beer, have some tacos and then head back. San Diego is going to be a beach day...sand between our toes. That's it!!

DMS42 - I think we are on the same cruise as you. We too are taking it as a short break from work before the holiday hoopla begins and to check out the Golden. My husband has his high school reunion cruise to Alaska in June 2015 on her and we wanted to get the lay of the land.

We are going to SeaWorld though there is certainly a lot to do around the port that you don't have too have any kind of excursion planned. We've been to Ensenada many times and have 'been there, done that" on almost all there is to offer, so we usually just walk to downtown and visit an art shop we like, buy some tequila and go back to the ship and have a spa day.

The short cruises are a nice break, especially if you don't have to fly anywhere. Pretty reasonably priced too!

Nicole - if you go over to the Pacific Coastal board, there have been many threads written about what to do in Catalina and in Ensenada. We love Catalina and go there a couple of times a year. If you are a walker, it is a great place to walk, walk, walk. My husband scuba dives and goes there frequently for that too. As far as what you might see on your cruise, we have seen a lot of dolphin - some times quite large pods. Of course, you have to be in the right place at the right time. We have probably taken about 10 to 12 of the 3 or 4 night "some port in California and Ensenada" cruises over the years on various lines and really enjoy them.

Hello,

I have been on two princess cruises in the past - both 7 day Caribbean. My husband and I decided to give the 4 day California coastal a shot tho it since it's closer and wouldn't require so much time away from work. We are sailing the Golden (have previously sailed emerald). Aside from being shorter and not being Caribbean, what other big differences will I notice? Is there anything they cut or add for these 4 day cruises?

Thanks !!

Nicole

Like others the quality of the cruise was as good as on our longer Princess cruises & to me not a noticeable difference in crowds. Unlike short "booze & gambling" RCCL & Carnival cruises we've taken from LA the short Princess cruises did not have that atmosphere. I prefer the cruises that go to SD or SB than to Catalina but would enjoy any cruise including well priced short cruises with an hour drive to the port. :)

Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian ones, with the Ensenada port the last stop. I can safely say that on all three of them, barely anyone got off the ship. And that was after about four straight sea days.

I am on the Crown Princess' 7 day CA Coastal. Is it true that there are no formal nights????

I'd love to hear because that's less I have to pack. Could someone who has done the 7 night CA Coastal please confirm or deny the formal night--or lack thereof.

I am fine either way--I like to dress up, but casual is fine as well.

Mom C