No Self-Serve Laundry?

capecruzer

I'm pretty sure I've read that there are no self-serve laundry facilities on the Constellation. If that is true, are there iron centers? What does everyone do with their dress shirts that travel in a suitcase? I know my husband will want his pressed after we board.

One thought I had was to drop the shirts off at a local dry cleaner (we have two days pre-cruise) and have them pressed and then carry them on.

What do you do?

I'm pretty sure I've read that there are no self-serve laundry facilities on the Constellation. If that is true, are there iron centers? What does everyone do with their dress shirts that travel in a suitcase? I know my husband will want his pressed after we board.

One thought I had was to drop the shirts off at a local dry cleaner (we have two days pre-cruise) and have them pressed and then carry them on.

What do you do?

Hi Brenda,

I use Downy "wrinkle releaser" to remove the creases in DH's shirts and my shorts, tops, etc.

I have a supply in 3 oz. travel sizes (bought at Target) that I pack in ziploc bags and pack in our checked luggage. It is so easy to use and works miracles!

Carolyn

Here are the prices from the Celebrity website.

From the Celebrity website FAQ

Are there laundry facilities onboard?

There is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates. Regular service, picked up before 9AM, is returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

Laundry Services

Wash:

Item Price

Jacket $5.95

Pants $4.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Sweater $4.95

Shorts $3.95

Dress $7.95

Skirt $4.95

Pajamas $3.95

Handkerchief $1.95

T-shirt $2.95

Undergarments $1.95

Swimsuit $2.95

Socks, pair $1.95

Dry-Cleaning

Item Price

Suit $12.95

Jacket $7.95

Pants $5.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Sweater $6.95

Shorts $4.95

Dress $12.95

Skirt $5.95

Necktie/Tie $3.95

Pressing Only

Item Price

Suit $5.95

Jacket $4.95

Pants $3.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $2.95

Sweater $3.95

Shorts $2.95

Dress $5.95

Skirt $3.95

What do you do?

What many of us do is not have them done at home, I give them to the steward first day, they are pressed and ready for first formal night..also, just as an FYI, irons and steamers are prohibited items and will be confiscated if found. They will be returned at end of cruise.

Edited by dkjretired

I use Downy Wrinkle Release for things like polo shirts and knits. It isn't super helpful for men's cotton dress shirts.

My DH's shirts are always done at the cleaners here at home - and hung (not folded). When packing, I carefully take the hanger out, then pack the shirt in the plastic. I hang up as soon as we unpack and they are usually in really good shape. If one is a little bit rumpled, I'll use the Downy.

If your DH's shirts are normally done at home (not at the cleaners), pack 'em dirty and send them out the day you get on board!

Travel Tips:

1- Have them professionally cleaned & pressed at home before you cruise

2- Drycleaned Shirts can be hung or folded... Folded is best for packing

3- Pack using Drycleaning Bags for anything you want to arrive virtually wrinkle-free (they are magic)

4- Unpack ASAP once aboard

5- Hang items you unpack... So wrinkles fall out

6- Hang the worst items in the bathroom... Steam naturally releases wrinkles

7- Use Downey Wrinkle Release (although be aware it will dampen your clothes... And may leave marks on more delicate fabrics... So use with caution)

8- Send items out to the Ship Laundry for Pressing

--- --- ---

As for Laundry on a cruise, personally I don't want to waste precious time on a cruise ship doing chores / laundry... I figure my time / vacation time is worth a lot ... Way more than paying for Laundry Services. With that mindset Celebrity's prices are more palatable

That and I pack smart. So I have very few items that need to be cared for when I am on the ship

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

What many of us do is not have them done at home, I give them to the steward first day, they are pressed and ready for first formal night..also, just as an FYI, irons and steamers are prohibited items and will be confiscated if found. They will be returned at end of cruise.

This is exactly what we do, even with DH's suit....not have them dry-cleaned before we go, then give them to the steward the first day. It works just great, and you don't have to fuss with packing extra carefully.

Dry-cleaning prices are pretty much the same as prices at home, and Celebrity has always done a pretty good job.

Steam during a shower takes care of most everything that doesn't need to be dry-cleaned. I have a lot of travel-friendly fabrics.

I just sailed Princess at the end of August and had onboard laundry rooms for the first time in years. I hated it. I was always feeling guilty because I felt that I should be doing laundry. (I was travelling with a 7-year old DGD, and they make a LOT of laundry.

Haha. Well personally I only purchase travel clothes that do not wrinkle (fabrics like Chicos, etc) but hubbie is very high maintenance and buys what he likes regardless and then does his own ironing at each hotel we stay at. I think we'll bring the shirts dirty and pay to have them done on the ship, 6 shirts x $5 is reasonable enough :)

Haha. Well personally I only purchase travel clothes that do not wrinkle (fabrics like Chicos, etc) but hubbie is very high maintenance and buys what he likes regardless and then does his own ironing at each hotel we stay at. I think we'll bring the shirts dirty and pay to have them done on the ship, 6 shirts x $5 is reasonable enough :)

Just be aware...

That some people have said they have taken issue with Celebrity's Laundry Practices vs Drycleaning

Items that are laundered are often done in HOT water... Vs the Staff actually reading the Fabric Care Tag (as one might assume would be done)

If you have special items, or things you want done a particular way when it comes to Laundry / Drycleaning on Celebrity, I suggest you include written instructions.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We were on Reflection in the Med in May, and used the laundry for a number of items, including dress shirts. Celebrity did a fine job with everything, I saw no signs that our things were washed in very hot water. Well worth the cost to us, especially on a long European trip, and a drop in the bucket when compared to the cost of our vacation.

Edited by cynbar

We pack all the formal clothes on the hangers in dry cleaner bags (or in inverted trash bags with a hole poked through for the hanger). Then we pack them on the top on the suitcase, folded over. The plastic bags work like a charm!

For those of us who don't mind ironing, isn't it possible to just ask for an iron to be delivered to the cabin?

Yeah, good luck with that! :rolleyes: Nope, they are considered a fire danger and are definitely not available to passengers in any capacity, and are held hostage if you attempt to board with one in your luggage.

CherWolf, not on Celebrity maybe on some other lines

:eek: Thanks for that information. Touch up ironing as I unpack, drinking a glass of bubbly and listening to my music all while watching the ocean go by is one of my weird cruise rituals. I only iron once for the entire cruise, so I just get it all out of the way. I usually cruise Norwegian and they always deliver the iron to the stateroom. I will have to learn how to pack so I don't look like I've slept in my clothes for the entire week. I would have been so bummed to find out after the fact.

Even though irons are not allowed to be brought on board NCL because of the fire hazard, they will still provide you with an iron and a board for a couple of hours. I guess I'll use some of the previously mentioned tips I'm familiar with but haven't had to use in years.

Edited by CherWolf
eta...

I don't understand....how does the dry clean plastic bag keep the clothes from wrinkling?

Magic

I don't understand but we do it and it definitely helps. Tissue paper has similar properties.

MAGIC indeed

Somehow the plastics cushions your clothes and absorbs a good number of wrinkles

As well plastic bags has this incredible ability to shrink down, and make is so one can get even more into a limited space

A tip I learned here on CC, is to pack using a lot of plastic... Ziploc bags are your friend

They can organize items, cushion things, keep dirty from clean, and wet from dry... Ensure that toiletries don't leak etc.

We pack now using a lot of ziplocs, and tuck in some extras too (never know when on the cruise you will want one to keep a treasured souvenir safe... Or put "a bite" of something into your cabin fridge). They virtually take no room in your luggage but can be a godsend !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

What do you do?

This is my one negative about X. On longer cruises it is nice to have the self serve laundry.

If Celebrity would do a cold wash and cool dry upon request, I would just suck it up and pay the laundry charges. But they will only wash in very hot water and very hot dryer. I just prefer to take care of my own laundry period. So for a 1 week cruise, no problem, just overpack a little and not a big deal. For the 10 day cruise that I was on (Reflection) it did drive me crazy- weather very hot so I changed my clothes frequently- our aqua cabin looked like a laundramatt! Hand wash, hang dry- clothes lines all over the place---very annoying. But the cruise had all the ports I wanted, excellent food, lovely ship, so that was that.

My other pet peeve with Celebrity is the price drop policy which doesn't work for me. But everything else with their product I love. The only two things that I like better on Princess is: plenty of washers and dryers-- a must on a longer voyage for me---fantastic price drop policy. So unless Celebrity for a longer trip has a couple of port stops where it is feasable to find a laundramat for a few hours in early monring before going sightseeing, I would probobly go with Princess---- BUT of course it depends on the itinerary- that wins every time!