No Self-Serve Laundry?

capecruzer

If Celebrity would do a cold wash and cool dry upon request, I would just suck it up and pay the laundry charges. But they will only wash in very hot water and very hot dryer.

I have quite a different experience with Celebrity's laundryservice.

I use the laundryservice 2 or 3 times on every cruise. Every cruise I take a suit for DH and some nice dresses for me, I send them all for dry cleaning so everything goes home clean and I dont have to worry about that when I'm home again. I have sent silk tops to wash and press without a problem, even my cashmere sweaters (handwash) came back nice and fresh and didn't shrink (which they absolutely would when washed too hot).

I make sure I have washinglabels in all clothes and if not I will leave a note on the form how to wash that particular item.

I am a little worried about the laundry part too. I'm ok with dry cleaning but we will have pants and sweaters to launder and I am worried about them shrinking.

We have 6 nights on land before and 2 nights on land after our 7-night alaskan cruise so I am almost sure I will have some wet, dirty jeans.

Nice to know you can request hand wash.

Can you request cold water at all, or they just do it all one way?

Thanks!

You can request Handwash but it doesn't mean they will do it, and I would never risk it.

Other suggestions: Take things that won't shrink. Take older clothes that if you are left without them, well, you got good use from them. Take even older clothes and discard them instead of washing them and hauling them around, giving you more space in the suitcase for souvenirs. Take clothes you can hand wash and drip dry.

Remember that everyone else is doing the same. This is not the time to pack clothes that need fussy handling.

I've had jeans, khakis, shorts, t-shirts, and cotton dress shirts laundered on several cruises and I've never had an issue with items shrinking. I'm not saying that it never happened to anyone but I've had no issues. laundry has always come out fine.

If you have a very delicate item that you're concerned with then you might consider sending it for dry cleaning even if it doesn't require it to be on the safe side - that's my DW has done and she got the suggestion to do so from a cruise friend who is a frequent cruiser.

Edited by Lsimon

I've had jeans, khakis, shorts, t-shirts, and cotton dress shirts laundered on several cruises and I've never had an issue with items shrinking. I'm not saying that it never happened to anyone but I've had no issues. laundry has always come out fine.

If you have a very delicate item that you're concerned with then you might consider sending it for dry cleaning even if it doesn't require it to be on the safe side - that's my DW has done and she got the suggestion to do so from a cruise friend who is a frequent cruiser.

Agree with Larry....never had a problem with anything I sent to the laundry. Of course I have some shirts that say cold water wash/warm iron and those don't get sent...but anything else including kahki's, cotton golf shirts,etc comes back almost pressed. Dry Cleaning is less expensive on the ship than at home.

I haven't heard my DW complain about not having a laundry on the ship. She also doesn't complain that she can't cook dinner for us in their kitchen or that someone else cleans the cabin and makes the bed.

It's a vacation...

I haven't heard my DW complain about not having a laundry on the ship. She also doesn't complain that she can't cook dinner for us in their kitchen or that someone else cleans the cabin and makes the bed.

It's a vacation...

I'm with your DW! :D Just the time that I spend rinsing out bathing suits and delicates in the sink is more vacation time than I really want to waste. Can't imagine being tied to a laundromat-type washer and dryer for hours, on my cruise! :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

I'm pretty sure I've read that there are no self-serve laundry facilities on the Constellation. If that is true, are there iron centers? What does everyone do with their dress shirts that travel in a suitcase? I know my husband will want his pressed after we board.

One thought I had was to drop the shirts off at a local dry cleaner (we have two days pre-cruise) and have them pressed and then carry them on.

What do you do?

There is no No laundry,and a iron you can not bring on board.

On a different line I sent an all you stuff into a bag laundry out and I took pictures of everything so that if something got lost I had a picture to find and identify it. I also sent a seersucker blouse out and it came back with all the seersucker ironed out, that must have been a lot of work:eek:

I should have added in my dribble, DH and I only wear mostly cotton- also I only use hyper allergenic type of detergent due to skin sensitivity. But if you use any detergent and your clothes aren't all or mostly cotton, then cruise ship service is probobly handy and just fine. Unfortunately it just won't work for us. So as I stated, for a one week cruise on Celebrity, I can manage with the bathroom sink and hang dry for a few items. For a longer cruise if we go on Celebrity, we would make sure that there are a couple of ports that have self serve laundramatts near by and give up a few hours of our sight-seeing time. What our cabin looked like on that 10 day Reflection Greek Isles cruise! Won't do that again. So if Celebrity won't work for us, we will be on Princess.

Thanks everyone! I want to reiterate that this is my husband's thing, not mine, I never buy anything that needs to be handwashed or ironed lol:p

Our best bet seems for him to iron his dress shirts and khakis at home, put them in dry cleaning bags and if they are too wrinkled once unpacked, send them to dry cleaning on the ship.

My other thought was to drop them at a cleaners the day before we embark, pick them up that morning and carry them on. I'll have to look and see if there are any cleaners somewhere between the Hard Rock and the pier.

Thanks everyone! I want to reiterate that this is my husband's thing, not mine, I never buy anything that needs to be handwashed or ironed lol:p

Our best bet seems for him to iron his dress shirts and khakis at home, put them in dry cleaning bags and if they are too wrinkled once unpacked, send them to dry cleaning on the ship.

My other thought was to drop them at a cleaners the day before we embark, pick them up that morning and carry them on. I'll have to look and see if there are any cleaners somewhere between the Hard Rock and the pier.

They offer pressing only service on the ship at a lower cost than laundry or dry cleaning. No matter how carefully I pack, even if shirts are in plastic bags and in a hanging garment suitcase, there are some that come out wrinkled and we send them for pressing on board. If I have items I want to take that need dry cleaning before the cruise I just wait until we are on board to send them out.

On the ship the dry cleaning/laundry/pressing time is next day if turned in by the morning. Same day (or next day if turned in later than morning) there is an extra 50% express charge. But on all but one cruise we've found that if you give the items to your cabin steward before dinner on embarkation day they'll do them with next day service for the regular charge so you'd have items done in time for the second night's dinner. But do ask your cabin steward about this when you first see them on embarkation afternoon as it has varied on one or two cruises.

Edited by Lsimon

Amazing that irons are okay on other cruise lines owned by the same company. Azamara has them for guests to use. It would be nice if the Celebrity ships had self laundry rooms......or sell unlimited laundry service. HAL and Windstar offer this service. It is fabulous. Celebrity has only by the piece laundry service. Use it or not......that is your choice. I send some stuff to the laundry. I hate that they use markers to identify clothing to cabins. It was much nicer when they used removable tags. Many items I wash in the cabin and hang to dry. I select clothing for the cruise that is wrinkle free and dries quickly. Never bring linen or heavy cotton items. If in doubt, do a test wash at home before you sail. If it takes more than overnight to dry, leave it home...or use the ship laundry service. I love Chicos travelers clothing....... It never wrinkles...and gives if you gain a few pounds. Relax and enjoy the cruise. Do not worry about a few wrinkles. Most people won't notice them.