Does 23 minutes really make a difference?

disneydiane61

I am looking at 2 flights. Both are LAX to FLL. We are cruising out of MIAMI and understand that the trip from POM to FLL takes about 40 minutes.

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection and docking is posted @ 7am.

My first option is JetBlue which leaves @ 11:37 am or Virgin America which leaves @ 12pm. A difference of 23 minutes. The jet blue flight is $110 less and your first bag flies free which is another $50. For 2 people that is a savings of $320 for the two of us, which could pay for private transport if necessary. Just need advice and suggestions. Also, recommendation for reasonably proved private transport.

Your arrival time is the more important time. Only sailed Carnival, mabe someone who has sailed this ship from FLL can help out. As for Carnival boarding, they start boarding about 1100-1130am and you must be checked in by 230pm for a 400pm departure. Search this board there is alot of transportation info. You should be able to find something to your liking. By time you get off the plane, get your , uggage, and finally on the road, I would make the trip to POM about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.

I am looking at 2 flights. Both are LAX to FLL. We are cruising out of MIAMI and understand that the trip from POM to FLL takes about 40 minutes.

My first option is JetBlue which leaves @ 11:37 am or Virgin America which leaves @ 12pm. A difference of 23 minutes. The jet blue flight is $110 less and your first bag flies free which is another $50. For 2 people that is a savings of $320 for the two of us, which could pay for private transport if necessary. Just need advice and suggestions. Also, recommendation for reasonably proved private transport.

First, I am assuming that you are talking about your flight home (another poster seems to have confused that, assuming an arrival question.

Since both flights will be cutting it a bit close (IMO), perhaps a more important question - what are your options if you miss your flight? Is there another later flight on that airline? Are there any fees/costs for missing your flight? etc.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

We just came back from the 3 day NCL SKY out of Miami and I would say you have plenty of time to take the Jet Blue flight as long as you self disembark.

Our boat was at port by 7 but didn't clear customs until 8. As soon as they announced that it was clear we headed off and had no trouble in the customs line. In fact we were at FLL and through security by 9:15am which is well in line with your timeline of 11:37am.

We booked a shared shuttle with SAS but were prepared to jump a cab just in case time looked sensitive. SAS does not collect until you ride with them so you do not have to worry about that.

For an 11:37 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10 - and earlier is better if you have seen the TSA lines some days at FLL. :(

To be at FLL by 10 means you need to be rolling from POM by just after 9 or earlier. I would arrange for private car/limo service (skip the shared shuttles) - Larry's Limos is often suggested for Miami service or check with Go Airport (based inside FLL). A taxi will cost about $80+ on the same trip.

Carry your own bags off the ship, use your cell to coordinate with your driver and pray for good traffic. Good luck! :)

Firstly, that 40 minute drive is when traffic is perfect and you have no problems.

Plan on an hour which is what it takes me about half the time.

Would I book this? No.

Another option: take Jet Blue the next day and spend a night on Fort Lauderdale beach.

If you do the self-disembarkation and get a private driver/limo you could make the early flight. Expect to pay about $100 for private transport but it is worth it and you are saving money.

This comes down to how well you deal with stress and what type of risk you want to take.

I don't like stress and like to minimize risk so if it was me I would take the Noon flight so I don't worry about things and spoil the cruise.

If you can deal with stress the go with the earlier flight.

Keith