Oceania vs Celebrity

jst4fun715

There are many threads on this issue -- you can use the search feature and put in "Oceania vs Celebrity" and find many opinions. Many of us have sailed both lines.

Here is just one. There are many

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889262&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

It is apples and oranges but we have sailed both happily.

Celebrity is IMO the best value at sea.

You can book a cabin that is twice as big and twice as nice for half the price of an O cabin on Celebrity. You will have better entertainment for sure. The food is good - not as good as Oceania -- but the specialties are as good or better, but you pay for them. Some cruisers claim Aqua Class is a good alternative because of Blue. We have not sailed Aqua Class. Celebrity runs some excellent promotions -- free beverage package, included gratuities etc.

On the downside, you will have to put up with a lot more passengers and far more heterogeneous group of cruisers. Nothing beats the intimacy of an R class ship IMO. 700 passengers vs thousands. It is a personal choice. Some O cruisers "wouldn't be caught dead" on Celebrity I am sure.

We opted for Celebrity for Baltics and Oz/NZ. The ports were nearly identical to O's itineraries and savings were incredible. Celebrity sometimes has more sea days which we prefer when the itinerary is going to be exhausting.

Thank you very much....and I will check out the link! I DO appreciate it. :)

If you put in the search terms "Oceania vs Celebrity" on the O thread there are at least 6 other threads that you may find helpful

Do the same on the Celebrity boards and see what you find.

More than anything it your taste and how it jibes with the ship and fellow passengers.

I prefer Oceaina because the ship is 1/4 to 1/3 the size, doesn't promote a "class" system and in not nickel and dime at every corner. Few if any kids, a more well mannered and well travel group more into self-entertainment and conversation than gaudy shows and night-life And all inclusive dining on the best food at sea in 6 different venues. From My experience on both, nothing on Celebrity , even the pay spots, even comes close to Oceania in that respect

Celebrity is just to large for me, and they seemed to theme them for people who don't like being on a ship... strange This it attracts a very very different crowd of passenger.

I certainly prefer to travel where there are no kids (or few kids).

On certain itineraries on Celebrity there will be very few children and because there is an excellent program for kids and teens (even separate venues for them) you hardly notice them. OTOH, put a handful of kids on Oceania where there is nothing for them to do and they stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

As for the nickel and dining -- if you get one of the beverage packages (which are being offered on promotions), the only difference in what you pay for from Oceania is the specialty restaurants. With the thousands you will save, you could eat in the specialties every night. You pay for laundry, internet and everything on O as you do on Celebrity.

It is a personal choice. Sometimes we may want a bit more to do than is offered on Oceania. Where thousands and thousands of dollars are the difference, I am sure that will be a consideration. There are no bad choices IMO.

In our case, Oceania's Riviera was less expensive than Celebrity's Aqua Class. We did a back to back on Oceania in the Caribbean last Christmas. Our TA did the price comparison and advised us. It is worthwhile checking out specific promotions.

Not surprising. The Caribbean is so saturated with cruise ships that Oceania often offers some great deals there. That's an area where I would wait to book -- prices often drop substantially.

We like the large ships on O or the M class on X. The space feel is about the same IMO. We are taking X next year from SF to FL. We got a free drink package and tips and as Elite get internet and laundry. We are going in Aqua for Blu and the resort casual dress. O has a similar trip but 5k more with no perks. They both are nice, we look at it trip by trip. As a side note Crystal has a similer trip for 10k more. The really big difference for me is the buffet on O, it blows away X and Crystal.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

We like the large ships on O or the M class on X. The space feel is about the same IMO. We are taking X next year from SF to FL. We got a free drink package and tips and as Elite get internet and laundry. We are going in Aqua for Blu and the resort casual dress. O has a similar trip but 5k more with no perks. They both are nice, we look at it trip by trip. As a side note Crystal has a similer trip for 10k more. The really big difference for me is the buffet on O, it blows away X and Crystal.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I'm trying Crystal for the first time in June next year. Figured it was time to try something different. The O buffet is really better than Crystal? (sorry to change the subject....I love a good buffet and I can't imagine Crystal has a bad one). Thanks!

As a side note the buffet on Celebrity is not great at dinner -- ok for breakfast and lunch. When we sailed on Celebrity we ate in the MDR (which we do not do on O) or the specialties. Nothing tops the buffet on Oceania IMO (except when it's Mexican LOL).

As a side note the buffet on Celebrity is not great at dinner -- ok for breakfast and lunch. When we sailed on Celebrity we ate in the MDR (which we do not do on O) or the specialties. Nothing tops the buffet on Oceania IMO (except when it's Mexican LOL).

Then again, the Terrace buffet at dinner is the exact same thing as the MDR. When I was on Riviera in July it was the same dinner and dessert items every night....just with the added cold items and grill. So the MDR isn't that bad after all then??

I'm trying Crystal for the first time in June next year. Figured it was time to try something different. The O buffet is really better than Crystal? (sorry to change the subject....I love a good buffet and I can't imagine Crystal has a bad one). Thanks!

Not bad, just a very different concept.

On Oceania, the Buffet Restaurant is seen as a true alternative to the Grand Dining Room and the Specialty Restaurants, whereas on Crystal the Buffet is a very casual eatery, where a passenger can get away from the formality and structure of their main Restaurants.

Passengers who suggest that Waves stay open late enough to serve dinner, seem to be hoping for the same type of thing on Oceania, although, of course, the Crystal Buffets offer a much wider selection.

Then again, the Terrace buffet at dinner is the exact same thing as the MDR. When I was on Riviera in July it was the same dinner and dessert items every night....just with the added cold items and grill. So the MDR isn't that bad after all then??

I see it differently. While the Terrace offers some of the items in the GDR each night, there are also many other choices -- including the grill, different pastas and different salads. We prefer to graze -- sample many different items -- rejecting those we do not like -- and we find the service in the GDR unacceptably slow. Sometimes the Terrace offers a theme night with items that are not available at all the in GDR. On our last cruise the chef prepared a Scandinavian buffet with fish he brought in from Iceland that was superb.

They are not the same to me. I know there are many fans of the GDR -- I'm just not one of them. We only eat there if we are invited by friends or an officer (and then the service is lightening fast LOL)

I see it differently. While the Terrace offers some of the items in the GDR each night, there are also many other choices -- including the grill, different pastas and different salads. We prefer to graze -- sample many different items -- rejecting those we do not like -- and we find the service in the GDR unacceptably slow. Sometimes the Terrace offers a theme night with items that are not available at all the in GDR. On our last cruise the chef prepared a Scandinavian buffet with fish he brought in from Iceland that was superb.

They are not the same to me. I know there are many fans of the GDR -- I'm just not one of them. We only eat there if we are invited by friends or an officer (and then the service is lightening fast LOL)

Ok you got me there....I totally agree...we like to graze too =)

First of all Crystal does not have it at night, at night it is the MDR, speciality rest or Taste on the big ship. All are fixed sitting or make a reservation. If you want sper of the moment it is room service. The is no casual place. I do not think Crystal has a better selection and I think the grill on O puts it over the top. Do not get me wrong Crystals is not bad but not having it as a dinner option each night is a deal braker for me. Then add in waves for lunch with surf and turf burgers ect and the whole lido is over the top IMO.

I beg to differ.

You cannot get lobster tails and jumbo shrimp, sushi & crab legs (and a TON of other food from the Grill and salad/cold food bar) in the MDR but you can in the Terrace Café - nightly. The entrees and desserts may be the same but it's the Grill and salad bar that makes all the difference, IMO. What about the alternating pasta or wok stations in the Terrace?

Plus, you can dine at your speed.

Edited by Paulchili

You are absolutely correct....that is why I said in my second line it's the same thing plus the cold items (salads, crab, sushi, etc) and the grill (lobster, etc). I should have said the main dinner entree items are the same.

Terrace is truly spectacular! I can't say anything bad about it. I'm just nervous that I'll be disappointed in Crystal since I may be comparing it to Oceania's Terrace (for lunch).

Terrace is truly spectacular! I can't say anything bad about it. I'm just nervous that I'll be disappointed in Crystal since I may be comparing it to Oceania's Terrace (for lunch).

My favorite in the Terrace at lunch is the lobster salad (when they have it).

Agree that trip by trip analysis is needed. It is, however, rare that Oceania will be more affordable.

I have found that Oceania cruises,, especially the longer ones are thousands $$$cheaper over all and hundreds a day in many cases than Holland, Celebrity

This is without being any one special, people in Aqua and Haven on NCL are all paying much more to be in the special elite.

You also need to factor in the price of the incuded air fare and tips that are included .... The air fare alone for me to Miami is worth over $900 pp.

Too there is the argument that even if you get all the rear-kissing and special treatment, once you step out side of the silk ropes your on a mass market ship vs a luxury ship. To me wanting a Ritz Carton suite at a Best Western.. your still in the best western

I have found that Oceania cruises,, especially the longer ones are thousands $$$cheaper over all and hundreds a day in many cases than ... Celebrity

You must be using a different calculator.

I have never found that to be the case.

In fact, a cc friend just emailed me -- she is mulling over whether to take her first oceania cruise (OZ/NZ) and is comparing a C1 to a Royal Suite on Celebrity which would cost her $5000 less. Even paying specialty restaurants on Celebrity it's not even close. Imagine if she were comparing comparable cabins -- the price gap would be double that.

You must be using a different calculator.

I have never found that to be the case.

In fact, a cc friend just emailed me -- she is mulling over whether to take her first oceania cruise (OZ/NZ) and is comparing a C1 to a Royal Suite on Celebrity which would cost her $5000 less. Even paying specialty restaurants on Celebrity it's not even close. Imagine if she were comparing comparable cabins -- the price gap would be double that.

The new suite program on Celebrity is all inclusive . Drinks, speciality dining , private suite dining room, tips, laptop in suite. Have been on Oceania before, and going on November 1st on the Insignia, but the new suite perks are pretty hard to beat.

The new suite program on Celebrity is all inclusive . Drinks, speciality dining , private suite dining room, tips, laptop in suite. Have been on Oceania before, and going on November 1st on the Insignia, but the new suite perks are pretty hard to beat.

Agree the suite perks on Celebrity are very tempting. What is not, however, is when leaving the suite being on just another large mass-market ship.

Agree the suite perks on Celebrity are very tempting. What is not, however, is when leaving the suite being on just another large mass-market ship.

The S class ships IMO are not "just another mass market ship." We have thoroughly enjoyed our cruises on the Solstice and the Eclipse. It is a trade off, of course, and there are disadvantages and advantages that come with either line.

I suggest the OP do a thorough analysis of the pros and cons and see how that consorts with his or her personal style, needs and preferences. Both lines are good choices. Price will certainly favor Celebrity and so too will the many amenities on their ships and the entertainment options, but there are intangibles on Oceania that make it worth it. It is our cruise line of choice. But it's all good!