When to go to Alaska?

sashas_mom

We want to cruise to Alaska in 2006. When is the best time to go? I prefer when kids are not out of school yet, but I don't want to let that prevent us from being there at an optimum time. When did you go and were you happy with the weather conditions and your cruise experience? I love Princess cruises, so I definitely will go with Princess. If you had a cabin you liked, I would love to hear about it. I thought we would try for a mini suite this time if we can afford it, but definitely a balcony. Any suggestions where we could get the best price?

Thanks.

Sasha's mom

We went to Alaska on the Sapphire Princess this past summer, in the middle of July. For us, it was the best time to go. The weather was absolutely wonderful!! It was in the upper 60's to low 70's the entire time we were there. We were also very lucky, for the only real rain we had was in Juneau, and even then, it was in the evening when we were going back to the ship.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Evie:)

I've been there in late May and early September. I like these times as you will generally see more wildlife. The animals are just coming out of hibernation in May and are hungry so out foraging. They are getting ready for hibernation in September so are also out eating their fill of berries and salmon. Weather was good both times. I think as far as weather goes, it's just the luck of the draw, but if you want wildlife, then stick to spring and fall. Of Course Whale watching is good anytime during the cruise season.

I've sailed to Alaska in both June (June 4th) and in September (after the kids were back in school. Not a lot of kids either time. Our June cruise had wonderful weather....I don't think it could have been better. When we cruised in September we had rain every single day of the voyage. But I must say that the September cruise was the most beautiful of the two...mostly because of the fall colours. Gorgeous! I would highly recommend either time of year.

My mother-in-law just got back from Alaska and she had a wonderful time and the weather was great for the most part. I have spoken with a number of people who have done the Alaska cruise (2 week land and sea package) and was told that June-July is the best time to go because that is their summer.

I have cruised in mid-May and mid-August. Both were wonderful cruises. How unpredictable is the weather? We had shorts weather in Skagway on the May cruise and were buying fleece in Denali in mid-August. No rain on either cruise (a little mist in Sitka both times but that is pretty standard).

If wildlife is one of your priorities, the "heart" of the season (late June through mid-to-late August) is probably best. If history and the magnificent scenery are more important, the dates (and often the prices) become a lot more flexible.

I doubt there is a bad time to visit Alaska. Do your homework, make sure you have a really knowledgeable TA, and enjoy!

We Went On June 22 And The Weather Was Splendid - Quite Warm Really. The Down Side Of That Was Because Of The Heat, The Animals Stayed Deep In The Foliage, And We Did Not See A Lot Of Wildlife. It Was Also Amazing To Have Daylight For Almost 24 Hours Of The Day.

Have done Alaska cruises three times with number four coming up this Saturday. Two times we went pre-cruise mid June and on ship late June. Magnificant weather and we saw bears etc. on Fly ins out of Anchorage and lots of other wildlife since we rented a car and explored independently for about 10 days. Third cruise was about July 7th week and it rained every day. We always have a wonderful time and are prepared for ANY type of weather since it is unpredictable.

The Alaska cruise season has great sailing options all season with the exception of after the first week of Sept. May can be the dryest, August loaded with wildlife. But if wildlife is a priority- tours are necessary so plan for those. Denali Park is the best land option with the SHUTTLES superior to the TOUR buses for more distance into the Park and the best bargain around. Varied marine wildlife is tops out of Seward on Kenai Fjords boat trips, Whale watches out of Icy Strait and Juneau have close to 100% sightings.

You need to be prepared for a wide range of weather no matter when ever you go, don't forget the knit hat and gloves. :)

Kids aren't anywhere in the numbers sailing the Caribbean so consider not even considering that when making your date choice.

You may want to avoid past the first week of Sept. This is the iffy weather time with significant possible foul cold weather. Dusk also by 7pm is a negative. Last 2 seasons have been excellent but highly atypical and far from the normal.

If doing a cruise only , a few tours to consider is bear watching only available from end of July- first week of Sept on average. Glacier Dog sledding is usually over by 3rd week of August.

Well, we like May or Sep., again - not as many kids (or teachers).

Not that we have anything against either - it just is less crowded!

Often, the prices are lower for those periods, also.

Got to agree with Druke. I have cruised laste May, July and early Sept. and by far for us anyway was end of May first part of June and Sept. The weather was absolutely gorgeous but that is not to say that there always be great weather. In May and Sept. there was very few kids and the prices are right also.

marilyn

We went on our Alaskan cruise during the most expensive week of the year--middle of July. My DH's job as an accountant kept us from going in May or June (end of the fiscal year at his work) or late August/September (when the auditors came).

Since he's changed jobs, I'm hoping we'll be able to go again next May. There were some great deals this year for last-minute bookings.

Well, we like May or Sep., again - not as many kids (or teachers).

Not that we have anything against either - it just is less crowded!

Often, the prices are lower for those periods, also.

Ditto. Weather is totally hit-or-miss up there all season so you might as well go when it's less crowded and less expensive. This year, if you weren't doing a cruise tour, you could book last-minute in May and get some great deals, especially on the one-way sailings.

Thank you all for your suggestions. As I have more questions I will know where to come.

Beryl, I don't know if you ever got my thank you for helping me find the roll call for the Island Princess, but I sent you one.

These message boards are just wonderful and soo helpful. Everyone is so nice. I really appreciate it.

sasha'smom

My DH, then eight-year old daughter and I took a RCCL Alaska cruise Aug. 11-18, 2001. There didn't seem to be a ton of kids on it; but my daughter had a great time in the kids club (so much so she squawked about getting off!) If you can, get a starboard side balcony cabin-- my husband and I spent a ton of time watching the scenery.

Queencath which direction were you sailing for the starboard side??? Is there scenery boths sides - we are considering doing a b2b is it worth switching sides??? We will be travelling with our 6&8 year old and love spending time on the balcony???

We did the 10 night round trip in mid May from SFO. Froze our buns off in SFO but in Skagway and Ketchican it was nearly 80 and we walked around in T-shirts! We have also done Sept but it seemed like it was colder and rainy.

As others indicated, AK weather is unpredictable. We have relatives in Juneau and have visited there multiple times including three cruise stops.

Late May or first week in June are among my favorite times. Tends to be dry and cool. Good wildlife viewing time.

Because AK summers are going through a warm cycle, by August many of the glacier treks are winding down (too much of a chance of danger to the glaciers and trekkers), almost all of the glacier dog sled tours are shut down, and glacier viewing tends to be from further off - as the summer progresses, the increased temperature contributes to increased calving which means a lot of ice in the water - more ice = staying further away. So I prefer spring to fall (although the colors are awesome!)

Thanks again for all the information. This is really going to help us plan our trip. We would be sailing from Vancouver because I've heard it's the calmest waters. I think they call it an inside passage. With this in mind do you still recommend starboard side? We definitely would get a balcony for this trip. We love looking at wildlife and beautiful scenery. Is there a cabin you especially loved?

sasha'smom

Recommend late May early June for waterfalls, some snow on mountains (if they don't have an unusually warm spring)... the scenery along BC's inside passage is beautiful on both sides sailing from Vancouver but many recommend starboard side.

Main thing IMHO re cabin if you are getting balcony is to get on Baja deck or higher bec. balconies on Caribe partially exposed and Dolphin completely exposed rendering them practically useless --- esp. on Dolphin -- if you have some rainy weather.. In light rain you can still be out on your completely covered balcony enjoying scenery if you like

Archived