Hint when booking Inside cabins

kruisey

Removing the symbols from the new Cruise Atlas is another indication to me that Princess has trouble selling quad cabins with upper bunks protruding from the walls & doesn't want us to know which cabins are quads. I noticed that the Ship Mate app & online booking sites show the symbols although they must depend on Princess deck plans which are removing the symbols. :mad:

The 2015-2016 Cruise Atlas for Canadians still shows the red dots under the magnifying glass.....

I am thinking of going ship by ship and listing those cabins for everyone starting with Emerald Princess.It will take time but I don't want anyone else to get the nasty shock I got today a few weeks before my fully paid cruise.....Heather:)

Edited by kruisey

Got an upgrade email from Princess a few weeks ago for our British Isles cruise next summer. It was to a midship inside from our Lido deck inside. Of course when I double checked it was one of the dreaded quads. I immediately called back and requested our original cabin back. Thanks to CC, I knew what to look for!

The information is clearly available on the deck plans on Princess's website; you just have to have it up in a different tab/window while you're browsing actual cabins for sale. It's really not complicated; I'm kind of surprised I have to keep posting this same information over and over. I guess some of you would rather believe in a vast conspiracy on the part of Princess. Whatever.

Along the banner strip at the top of the webpage, under the tab "Learn About Cruising," click on "Cruise Ships" and select the ship you're interested in and then select Deck Plans. Once the deck plan opens up, choose the passenger deck you're interested in, and a box with two tabs will appear: "Staterooms" and "Public Rooms." If you click on Staterooms tab, there will be a blue-shaded line with the word "Passengers:" followed by a drop-down menu. Select 3 or 4 on that and the double cabins on the deck plan will immediately white-out, leaving in colour only those that accommodate 3 or 4 people. You can switch between different accommodation decks and your selection of 3 or 4 will remain in force. It really couldn't be easier.

I agree with Kruisey. Definately need a magnifying glass to see the 3 and 4 occupancy cabins. Had one on our last cruise and said never again. Why would they still put those things on their new ships, Royal and Regal? Not that many inside cabins on those ships to begin with, so it makes finding a suitable cabin difficult if you don't book really early. Must be alot cheaper than the ones that come out of the ceiling or the people designing these ships have never cruised or sought any feedback.

my kids and I sailed in lots of interior quads and the beds all recessed into the ceiling. of course, I don't remember what ships they were, sorry. we tend to ask the steward to leave the beds down anyway as they liked to lie on the bed and watch tv or nap.

its not a big deal to me as a solo. I've gotten the side bunks a couple of times and ask the steward to have the queen bed against the (not so) far wall so there's more room on the door side of the room.

The information is clearly available on the deck plans on Princess's website; you just have to have it up in a different tab/window while you're browsing actual cabins for sale. It's really not complicated; I'm kind of surprised I have to keep posting this same information over and over. I guess some of you would rather believe in a vast conspiracy on the part of Princess. Whatever.

Along the banner strip at the top of the webpage, under the tab "Learn About Cruising," click on "Cruise Ships" and select the ship you're interested in and then select Deck Plans. Once the deck plan opens up, choose the passenger deck you're interested in, and a box with two tabs will appear: "Staterooms" and "Public Rooms." If you click on Staterooms tab, there will be a blue-shaded line with the word "Passengers:" followed by a drop-down menu. Select 3 or 4 on that and the double cabins on the deck plan will immediately white-out, leaving in colour only those that accommodate 3 or 4 people. You can switch between different accommodation decks and your selection of 3 or 4 will remain in force. It really couldn't be easier.

THANK YOU!!!

I don't know how I missed this but I am sooooooooooo grateful to you for pointing it out. :D:D:D

Ditto...:)

And not all inside quad cabins have the bunks against the wall. Only some do. And, FYI, on Diamond/Sapphire/Coral/Island Princess, all quads have their bunks in the ceiling.

Edited by RickEk

Yes, the font for the deck plans in the Cruise Atlas is microscopic.

However, based on a recommendation in a cruiser's review, I downloaded the free ShipMate app to my Kindle Fire. It has deck plans for hundreds of cruise ships. And the best part is you can zoom in on them as much as you want. The dots and triangles become very easy to spot. It's especially nice when looking at the maps of the decks with public spaces. Very easy to see the names of the spaces.

Cheggitout!

I would think that passengers who want to book only two berths want to book a cabin for just two. So what's up with this change?

My guess is that they have a difficult time selling the 3 and 4 passenger rooms due to the beds on the walls so if they don't mark them they stand a better chance of selling them to the new inexperienced cruiser. Also It has been my experience that the ocean view rooms that only hold 2 passengers have the bed on the wall and not under the window.

Edited by Iamcruzin

And I have been on 21 cruises before with them.

I never realized there were so many inside cabin,few of the others cabins set up like that.When I looked would always just put solo in to get the pricing and go from there.

In future I certainly will be checking for 4 persons first.:cool:

I once had a bin open up and tip stuff out on a turbulent air flight so these remind me:eek:

This is the first time I have sailed on a newer ship so maybe they have more quad cabins than the older ships.

Removing the symbols from the new Cruise Atlas is another indication to me that Princess has trouble selling quad cabins with upper bunks protruding from the walls & doesn't want us to know which cabins are quads. I noticed that the Ship Mate app & online booking sites show the symbols although they must depend on Princess deck plans which are removing the symbols. :mad:

As pointed out, the symbols are there on the deck plans in the Atlas, plus there's a legend on the top right side on the right hand page.

I tried this on one cruise and first indicated 3 persons. Then went back in and left it at 2 persons. For this cruise (that's probably not a great example as many cabins are undoubtedly sold out), the cabin I selected for the first part didn't show up (actually it wouldn't even let me check that deck) for 2 persons. I selected another deck and I noticed, when comparing to the atlas, that the cabins that accommodate more than 2 passengers were marked as "sold." I should try this on a cruise that is further out and not at a holiday time to see if it's the same.

My guess is that they have a difficult time selling the 3 and 4 passenger rooms due to the beds on the walls so if they don't mark them they stand a better chance of selling them to the new inexperienced cruiser. Also It has been my experience that the ocean view rooms that only hold 2 passengers have the bed on the wall and not under the window.

I agree on both counts.

A bit OT: One more thing I have found is that some of the far forward cabins, at least on the Plaza decks of some Princess ships, have beds that can't be moved due to the outside wall (skin of the ship) curving in. There isn't room for the queen bed to be split up into two twins. I don't think any of these are triples or quads, but thought it was worth mentioning anyway. I only discovered this when I was "upgraded" to one of these cabins, and tried to switch the bed arrangement online and the site wouldn't let me.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Is there any place where one of these rooms can be viewed on line? I am having difficulty understanding the problem.

Nevermind, I just googled and found a pic. Now I understand the problem.

Edited by iceleven

When Princess first made changes to their website, cabins that could accomodate 3 or 4 did not show if you entered 2 people; they were all shown as 'Sold'. In fact there was no way to book such a cabin online if you were only 2 people. This was true of all categories of cabins. If you entered 3 people to see what was available then you had to supply three names to book one. There are some circumstances in which I might be willing to take a triple or quad, such as wanting an Inside on Riviera Deck near the aft terrace, when all the doubles were gone, but it was not possible. I and others on CC complained and soon after, Princess changed the website to show all available rooms in the chosen category (coincidence perhaps). Yes, it would be best if the booking plans identified those that accomodate more than 2, so that the passenger would be properly informed when booking. I really think it is due to poor website design and not some sales conspiracy.

I just tried this and it worked just as you stated. Thanks for the information!

Princess has changed my inside cabin they sent me an e-mail.

Its an inside double only.Not in as good position with a white bank overhead.

On the Baja deck more forward in the 300's

I am so pleased now I don't mind the noise I might get over head I always get up before 6 am so this can be my alarm clock if this is a room above that the employees use :D;)

I tried this on one cruise and first indicated 3 persons. Then went back in and left it at 2 persons. For this cruise (that's probably not a great example as many cabins are undoubtedly sold out)' date=' the cabin I selected for the first part didn't show up (actually it wouldn't even let me check that deck) for 2 persons. I selected another deck and I noticed, when comparing to the atlas, that the cabins that accommodate more than 2 passengers were marked as "sold." I should try this on a cruise that is further out and not at a holiday time to see if it's the same.[/quote']

Patty, you're looking in the booking engine. The procedure I described works only on the ship's deck plans in the general ship information section of the website. Hence why I said that one has to have two windows/tabs open when actually shopping for a cabin, so you can check what's showing available against the entire deck plan. Hope this clarifies it for you.

And a big "you're very welcome" to everyone.

Thought this might be of help to others too late for me.:(

When booking inside cabin for 2 persons don't go by the web side picture only.

On the web it can look as though it is just for two no red dot.A red dot means can accommodate 3 to 4 persons meaning it can have two bunk beds higher on both sides of cabin folding up again the wall.

I personally do not like that as a solo some might not mind.For likewise persons check in the Princess Cruise Atlas or ask Princess or your TA to find out.

Heard on longer trips this type of cabin is assigned to solo and couples because the demand is low on those cruises. Could also be the insides assigned to Guarantees.:cool:

Too bad this had to happen. Try to get a change through your TA, or call Princess.

Princess has changed my inside cabin they sent me an e-mail.

Its an inside double only.Not in as good position with a white bank overhead.

On the Baja deck more forward in the 300's

I am so pleased now I don't mind the noise I might get over head I always get up before 6 am so this can be my alarm clock if this is a room above that the employees use :D;)

At least you will have a place close by to exchange your money.