Is Spa worth extra cost?

Mrs Miggins

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise in October. We are in a lowly B1 so do not get free access to the Spa. The cost for each person is USD25. What do I get for that? Is it worth it? We have no sea days on our 7 day Istanbul to Athens . Do we get free access if we book a treatment?

I am with DH and my 21 year old daughter - so a short visit may be nice. We are on the Riviera. Your thoughts would be appreciated. It looks like this cruise will not be full. Do they ever do 'specials' once on board.

There is never any charge to enter the Spa itself, only to receive specific treatments or training, so what I believe that you are asking about is paying for access to the Spa TERRACE which is an open air sun deck overlooking the bow of the ship, and located just forward of the Spa.

061907.jpg

Basically, it is just a more private Sun Deck, containing the Thallasotherapy Pool (think pool sized hot tub containing warmed, mineralized, salt-water).

b_190449.jpg

Patrons of Spa Services are permitted to use the Spa Terrace gratis for a "few hours" (their term), either before or after a "treatment".

Spa Specials are offered, most often during Port stays when most Passengers will typically be off the ship.

Hope that this helped, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by StanandJim

The Spa "specials" are not that special IMO

Usually they offer a combo of 2 or 3 abbreviated services ( 20 minute, massage plus 20 minute mini facial etc). Not my idea of self indulgence LOL

The Spa on Oceania is VERY expensive, even compared to spas on other ships (at least the ones I have sailed on).

I would not pay $25 PP for the use of the spa terrace unless you are going to be up there for several hours

There are nice loungers & the T-pool .... but no shade

If you have a treatment then yes take the free access which I think is 1 hr prior to or after your treatment

The T-pool is very large on Riveira

CIMG0002_zps8f401670.jpg

Lyn

We have created our own spa 'half' day, which we enjoyed - ymmv!

DH gets a massage, I pay the $25 fee, we get to the terrace 9 or 10am ish after a relatively prompt breakfast and arrange the hooded loungers (see StanandJim's photo) to create our own shade. There don't seem to be a lot of folks on port days, once we we were absolutely alone until about noon. After our fill of quiet sun/shade bathing and T-pool time, we drift off to grab a bite at Waves and then make a quick trip on shore. For us, this works for ports that we aren't that interested in exploring fully (or for ports that we know we will be back to soon on another trip). On the OP's itinerary, not sure if any ports would fall in that category of 'skipping' half the allotted shore time for us.

I have very much enjoyed the steam room for a relatively brief pre-dinner relaxation - as noted by other posters, there is no fee for this (just ask at the desk for a locker key). Aside: it took me a while to realize that there are 2 locker locations, in the dressing room and in the steam room - you can request either.

As of fall 2013, there was a samovar (or whatever the correct cold-liquid term is) of infused water (water with cucumber or citrus, etc), as well as plain water and a selection of hot teas available at a self-serve station in the non-fee area (the desk by the "Spa Club" label on the deck plan StanandJim posted).

You can always ask the spa desk to give you a quick tour of the spa deck before deciding whether to invest any time or $. Do I recall that the spa often has an 'open house' on embarkation day?

In August the lasso therapy pool was very cold...I would not pay the extra $25 without asking the temp of the water. I booked a massage and I would say it was just average...nothing over the top or special but a nice relaxing massage...of all the massages I've had Disney was surprisingly the best actually:) As for drinks there was a water/tea station and a cart set up with soft drinks near the lasso pool! Lovely chairs and outdoor area but not enough shade for my paleness:(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In August the lasso therapy pool was very cold...I would not pay the extra $25 without asking the temp of the water. I booked a massage and I would say it was just average...nothing over the top or special but a nice relaxing massage...of all the massages I've had Disney was surprisingly the best actually:) As for drinks there was a water/tea station and a cart set up with soft drinks near the lasso pool! Lovely chairs and outdoor area but not enough shade for my paleness:(

Massages are a crap shoot. It all depends on the individual operator. It will vary tremendously one cruise to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally agree about massages which is why I always go for it wherever I go...I guess I wasn't necessarily talking about the massage itself...on Disney cruise my massage consisted of a foot bath/massage on an open deck, then a soak in the open deck hot tub, then inside for my massage and back out on the deck to lay on the bed and be served water and tea! Honestly I'm sure the massages themselves were equal as good...just those extra surprises made it special:)

On my Oceania massage as I was registering some guy was trying to get me to do a dual massage with him...I was whisked away before I could really understand our conversation. Once I entered the room it was a huge room with a bath tub in middle and another massage table set up so I guess he was trying to share my room. The other 1st time for me was heading into the waiting room once robed...they had u complete the questionnaire and that was my first time sitting with a mixture of men and women in my robe!

As for drinks there was a water/tea station and a cart set up with soft drinks near the lasso pool! Lovely chairs and outdoor area but not enough shade for my paleness:(

Just curious where was the tea station?

We only saw the drinks cart with water & soft drinks

I usually have a mani/pedi every two weeks. We live on South Beach so it's sandals most of the time. We will be away on this trip for three weeks. I will use the spa around the 14th day. I make my appointment before we embark, confirming on board.