I Love My PCC

Cqis

Ok, I will bite. We really want to understand why some HAL cruisers are willing to give up hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on each and every cruise for the privilege of booking with a PCC. What do they provide that is worth that kind of money?

Hank

How do you change?

For instance, when our first PCC quit, we were assigned someone else. Instead we wanted the one we have now. I just asked her to let them know we wanted her instead. I probably could have just called HAL and told them myself too. There was no problem doing it.

As for TAs, we've used a couple. HAL (or Celebrity, our other cruise line of choice) has never expected us to use the same one time after time.

Ok, I will bite. We really want to understand why some HAL cruisers are willing to give up hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on each and every cruise for the privilege of booking with a PCC. What do they provide that is worth that kind of money?

Hank

We are pretty darn frugal, but there is also "value" in our equation. We don't take cruises where there is the potential of saving "thousands". Our big expenses are flights, pre-cruise hotels/meals, and activities ashore. For the small amount we might save using a TA who rebates, the value to me is having direct access to the cruise line without dealing with a middle man. That's why I choose to deal with a PCC.

When we are able to spend "thousands" on just the cruise, then we will reconsider the value of a PCC vs a TA.

Hank

Why does it matter so much? I used a TA for years and got nothing. The only way you are going to save thousands is if it is a very long cruise. Most people aren't in the position. There seems to be a few posters that think that there way is the only way. Please stop trying to force your choices on others. This thread is about one persons happiness with their PCC. I didn't see any questions about ta choice.

You are SO lucky!!! I loved the first one we had. He was fabulous! He remembered us from one call to another and was really there to do the best for us. I will never forget how he handled the cruise we had to cancel with HAL insurance when we were in a traffic accident. He handled everything. Our current one, unfortunately, has been rude to us and obviously only out for a booking. I imagine that's what she has been told to do...not the rude part but book or don't talk to them. Our first one would tell us if he could match a deal we saw....and we did book with him and once he told us to go ahead with an agency as he could not meet their deal. The PCCs should be out to promote HAL not just be a commission position which they may be. I will never book with our current PCC.. She burned that bridge with her attitude. I keep hoping for an email introducing a new one. I have PCC envy!

I also had a good one to begin with but she left. Ended up with a couple of less than stellar PCC's. Life is too short to deal with people like that. I kept asking hal for new ones. I think the one I have now is good but I haven't dealt with her a ton yet.

We are pretty darn frugal, but there is also "value" in our equation. We don't take cruises where there is the potential of saving "thousands". Our big expenses are flights, pre-cruise hotels/meals, and activities ashore. For the small amount we might save using a TA who rebates, the value to me is having direct access to the cruise line without dealing with a middle man. That's why I choose to deal with a PCC.

When we are able to spend "thousands" on just the cruise, then we will reconsider the value of a PCC vs a TA.

I think you just spoke for a lot of us who feel exactly the same way.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Why does it matter so much? I used a TA for years and got nothing. The only way you are going to save thousands is if it is a very long cruise. Most people aren't in the position. There seems to be a few posters that think that there way is the only way. Please stop trying to force your choices on others. This thread is about one persons happiness with their PCC. I didn't see any questions about ta choice.

WOW! Was going to let your post go..but it does deserve a comment. HAL is a cruise line that really specializes on longer cruises....although they do also offer shorter cruise options. Even on a short 7 day cruise we can save 7-10% of the cruise cost (not including taxes/fees) by booking through various cruise agencies. You are correct that it would take a much longer cruise to derive savings of thousands, but one can save on any cruise by shopping for the best deals.

But nobody (including moi) is trying to "force" anyone to do anything. If you choose to interpret the posting of "knowledge" as a means to "force" then so be it. But we all have choices and you can even opt to pay the full brochure price for a cruise if it makes you happy. Our only motivation is to help others who might be interested in saving money. We do appreciate that some folks simply have no interest in saving money....but are curious as to their thinking.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

WOW! Was going to let your post go..but it does deserve a comment. HAL is a cruise line that really specializes on longer cruises....although they do also offer shorter cruise options. Even on a short 7 day cruise we can save 7-10% of the cruise cost (not including taxes/fees) by booking through various cruise agencies. You are correct that it would take a much longer cruise to derive savings of thousands, but one can save on any cruise by shopping for the best deals.

But nobody (including moi) is trying to "force" anyone to do anything. If you choose to interpret the posting of "knowledge" as a means to "force" then so be it. But we all have choices and you can even opt to pay the full brochure price for a cruise if it makes you happy. Our only motivation is to help others who might be interested in saving money. We do appreciate that some folks simply have no interest in saving money....but are curious as to their thinking.

Hank

No one, yes no one pays the brochure fare. You've mentioned this over and over about your savings. I think most people are aware. There is another poster on this board that goes on and on about booking private tours and how that's the only way to go. Frankly it will be nice not to have to listen to it for the next month. What's really amazing is that this poster books the carbon copy of a hal tour. No thx. I like have an easy contact regarding my cruise. That is worth the price to me. So what if it's cheaper. Worse yet if I get this "discount" in the form of an obc.

No one, yes no one pays the brochure fare. You've mentioned this over and over about your savings. I think most people are aware. There is another poster on this board that goes on and on about booking private tours and how that's the only way to go. Frankly it will be nice not to have to listen to it for the next month. What's really amazing is that this poster books the carbon copy of a hal tour. No thx. I like have an easy contact regarding my cruise. That is worth the price to me. So what if it's cheaper. Worse yet if I get this "discount" in the form of an obc.

HI

Just so you know. when I first started to cruise a few years ago. I book my first two cruises directly with Hal. I paid Brouure price and then some. (solo) cruise. I now have a TA

Mary

HI

Just so you know. when I first started to cruise a few years ago. I book my first two cruises directly with Hal. I paid Brouure price and then some. (solo) cruise. I now have a TA

Mary

When I refer to brochure price I am referring to the price in an actual brochure. I'm not speaking of the website prices. There is one website that I refer to often. They list brochure prices and "their“ prices. I have no idea where they get that price. It's much, much higher than the hal website. I have to ask, why would you pay a higher rate than hals website?

I have received several emails from my appointed HAL PCC inviting me to contact her for any and all cruise needs. Before scheduling our next cruise, I did attempt to do this many times over the course of two weeks and, with each attempt, I ended up with her answering service. I could only assume that she is an adherent of the "we'll talk to you only when it's convenient to us" school of customer service. I refuse to go along with this sort of thing if I have any choice at all.

Fortunately, every time I have spoken to a HAL reservations agent at their 800 number they have been both highly knowledgeable and pleasingly helpful. I really do not miss the services of a PCC at all.

I am curious though as to how others communicate with their PCC's. Do others call and have the PCC directly answer or is my experience the norm?

When I refer to brochure price I am referring to the price in an actual brochure. I'm not speaking of the website prices. There is one website that I refer to often. They list brochure prices and "their“ prices. I have no idea where they get that price. It's much, much higher than the hal website. I have to ask, why would you pay a higher rate than hals website?

Hi I was knew to cruising I paid the broucer price Not web site price.I did know better. I had a broucher and called Holland America and book theeay price. Got nothing extra. I change and got a TA and ggt OBC as a solo you are at mercy of cruise line.

Mary

I have received several emails from my appointed HAL PCC inviting me to contact her for any and all cruise needs. Before scheduling our next cruise, I did attempt to do this many times over the course of two weeks and, with each attempt, I ended up with her answering service. I could only assume that she is an adherent of the "we'll talk to you only when it's convenient to us" school of customer service. I refuse to go along with this sort of thing if I have any choice at all.

Fortunately, every time I have spoken to a HAL reservations agent at their 800 number they have been both highly knowledgeable and pleasingly helpful. I really do not miss the services of a PCC at all.

I am curious though as to how others communicate with their PCC's. Do others call and have the PCC directly answer or is my experience the norm?

Or you could assume that she is very busy helping others when you called. Did you leave a message? Did she call back?

I primarily email our PCC, usually if there are phone calls, it's her calling me. We get very fast responses (within minutes) whether we call or email.

If you are happy with the 800 number, of course use that instead. :)

You are SO lucky!!! I loved the first one we had. He was fabulous! He remembered us from one call to another and was really there to do the best for us. I will never forget how he handled the cruise we had to cancel with HAL insurance when we were in a traffic accident. He handled everything. Our current one, unfortunately, has been rude to us and obviously only out for a booking. I imagine that's what she has been told to do...not the rude part but book or don't talk to them. Our first one would tell us if he could match a deal we saw....and we did book with him and once he told us to go ahead with an agency as he could not meet their deal. The PCCs should be out to promote HAL not just be a commission position which they may be. I will never book with our current PCC.. She burned that bridge with her attitude. I keep hoping for an email introducing a new one. I have PCC envy!

Sounds like we ended up with the same PCC. We had only two special requests on our last B2B- first night was a birthday and the last night was our anniversary. She did nothing for either- nothing in our record. I asked the Concierge if they had anything about it after the birthday was missed and she said that our "TA" put nothing in our record.

I sent the PCC an email from the ship and thanked her for forgetting our requests. Four days later we had two red balloons that said "Bon Voyage" and another bottle of Sparkling wine.

Well, I've read all of the postings with great interest. My first PCC was awesome and I could get a call back immediately if I had any questions. He left and I got assigned to a dud. She's totally unresponsive and rude and put out when I've called. So, I've gone above her head, which I don't like doing, to get some satisfactory answer. I wouldn't care if it was a small amount of money, but my questions concern a very large amount of money. I'd rather deal directly with whoever answers the phone at the main desk. Which is what I do. Stupid waste of time to deal with my PCC.

Well, I've read all of the postings with great interest. My first PCC was awesome and I could get a call back immediately if I had any questions. He left and I got assigned to a dud. She's totally unresponsive and rude and put out when I've called. So, I've gone above her head, which I don't like doing, to get some satisfactory answer. I wouldn't care if it was a small amount of money, but my questions concern a very large amount of money. I'd rather deal directly with whoever answers the phone at the main desk. Which is what I do. Stupid waste of time to deal with my PCC.

Wow....exactly my experience. Wonder if we had the same original one and the rude dud inherited his clients.