Is marriage license required when you do not have a passport?

crazycruzer68

I have sailed many times without a passport and never had to show my marriage license, is this something new? My travel buddy was told she will need hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I was asked for mine only once and that was on RC, Carnival has never asked for them but i take them anyway, you know old saying it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. :)

I have had my (ex) married name on my DL for my last 3 cruises. I brought my marriage license for 2 of them & it wasnt needed. I actually had it handed back to my in july immediately being told "we don't need this". I forgot it for my 3rd cruise & was having a panic attack, but nobody ever asked.

It's probably better safe than sorry though. Even given my experience I feel better bringing it along.

It's always best to have your name trail to match birth cert to drivers lic. It may not be needed for the ship but it could prove valuable if there's a problem (e.g. miss the ship, medical emergency). I also have a scanned copy of all those documents plus my passport, out in the cloud for back up.

I have never understood why you would need a marriage license because you need to show it to the DMV to get you driver's license. Then it becomes your legal ID. As others have stated, if you just got married and haven't changed your name on your driver's license, then it would be needed.

I was asked for my marriage cert at the New Orleans port, but so far no where else. I always bring it just in case.

I have read through everything and cannot find it listed anywhere as a required document. Did you have it with you in New Orleans?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not have a passport, always use my DL & BC without a problem. My BC & DL have different last names on them but I have never been asked for any other documents, nor have I ever even thought of taking a marriage license or marriage certificate along with me. I just returned from an 8 day Liberty cruise yesterday....no problems whatsoever.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I have never understood why you would need a marriage license because you need to show it to the DMV to get you driver's license. Then it becomes your legal ID. As others have stated, if you just got married and haven't changed your name on your driver's license, then it would be needed.

You can get a DL if you are not a US citizen. The BC along with a bridge document, shows citizenship. Although not always asked for, why risk not having it? The DL is not a citizenship ID.