Why the hate on Sunshine?!

kwazi07

I was on the last sailing of the Destiny and it was run down and nothing special, so was not expecting much when I got talked into doing the Sunshine. Well what a change, The Sunshine is wonderful, not sure were the crowding was, I was on B2B sold out cruises, and found lounge chairs, seats at comedy, in bars etc when I wanted them. The food was 180% better. If you are going, try all the specialty places to eat, the Asian was outstanding, the Wok at Lunch fantastic, Best Steak house I ever ate at, Sushi was wonderful, and great Italian. The MDR lacked in comparison. My only complaint is I am not a fan of Guys Burgers, to greasy for my taste, but I don't like Five Guys for the same reason, so I ate at the Mexican Blue Iguana and didn't have the long lines at Guys and got better food for my taste, win win. I like trying different ships but will be back on Sunshine again soon.

We loved the Sunshine. The food was hands down the best that we have had on any cruise.You have to try Ji-Ji's for dinner. I am not a huge Asian food lover. My palate is pretty tame in that area, but it was fantastic. We ate there twice during our cruise. Our kids loved the water slides and the camp staff was the most friendly that we have had on 5 cruises. We even saw them in Aruba and they played with our kids during their day off. They were great.

Did we ever smell the smell? Yes. Occasionally. Were the public areas crowded? No, not that we ever experienced. We got in line for the comedy shows 30 minutes early and always got 4 good seats together. We have always had to get in line at least 30 minutes early for the shows on every cruise that I can remember no matter what ship we were on.

I remember booking my cruise on the Dream a few months after she came out and reading all of the terrible reviews. The same thing happened when we booked the Breeze. We loved both of these ships. Funny though, I booked the Liberty largely based on great reviews. It was our least favorite ship so far.

Bottom line is that people have different expectations, priorities, and tolerance levels for vacations. What works for my family with 2 young kids may not be what is best for everyone else's family. I say go on the Sunshine and decide for yourself if it is the right ship for you.:)

We sail on the Sunshine in 5 days! Premium vista balcony. Hubby and I. 7 days of quality time together on a cruise ship. No expectations. Feeling grateful. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on Deck 6 in one of the Premium Vista Balconies. It was wonderful. Hope you have as good of a vacation as we did.

Really? 30 minutes for a hamburger??:confused: I actually have been on the Sunshine. Guy's Burger Bar was never crowded. What was done to ship is nothing short of remarkable. Love your analogies. Did no know we had a 150 year old ship sailing.... good to know.

Put your reading glasses on and go read my post again. Then you will see what was 150 years old.:rolleyes:

While we had a great cruise and she really is a beautiful ship. We just prefer a couple of things she doesn't have. We like the aft swimming pools and hot tubs. And we also like to sit on the promenade deck and people watch. We loved a lot of the staff and our cabin. Met alot of great people. So we don't hate her, just prefer some other ships.

After our Breeze cruise I've learned to ignore reviews and go experience it for myself. Breeze only had a 69%-70% approval rating when we sailed. That's just crazy since she has the best of everything, (except Serenity area--too windy).

Would like to take Sunshine to Southern Caribbean.

After that..... Vista!

Put your reading glasses on and go read my post again. Then you will see what was 150 years old.:rolleyes:

Thanks, I am wearing them now.;) You were comparing a ship to a 150 year old house...now it makes sense:confused: not. The Sunshine, while in the same steel (wood house to a steel superstructure aside) is pretty much a new ship. Do you know what was done to either the diesel generators or propulsion system? How about the 30 minute wait for a hamburger in the old destiny? Listen, I get it. You are not impressed with a ship that has basically been entirely (steel plates aside) redone. I am, it exceed my wildest dreams of what I thought it would be. Is it a entirely "new" ship? I guess not. Is the main show lounge smaller? Yes, but I think that is where they are going with that. Does it have more people on than a Spirit class ship? Yes, but again take everything together and it comes out much to the positive. But to dismiss it out of hand is what I was commenting on. As you can see from the comments here (and many reviews) most people really enjoyed it. Maybe you would as well.;)

Wait? There's nowhere to sit on the promenade deck? One of my favorite past-times is to sit on the promenade deck reading my Kindle while having a cocktail or 2. :confused:

I've also heard there is no nightclub. Or that the main theater is the nightclub? How does that work if they have late shows in the theater? Do they not have the nightclub every night? I love going to the nightclub!

A little history. I was booked on the Liberty because I fell in love with the 2.0 upgrades after sailing the Freedom. We were moved to the Valor (and at the same cost as the Liberty) because the Liberty and Valor are switching ports a week before our scheduled cruise. Because we wanted the 2.0 upgrades, we decided to switch from the Valor to the Sunshine.

Edited by Anjanu

Wait? There's nowhere to sit on the promenade deck? One of my favorite past-times is to sit on the promenade deck reading my Kindle while having a cocktail or 2. :confused:

I've also heard there is no nightclub. Or that the main theater is the nightclub? How does that work if they have late shows in the theater? Do they not have the nightclub every night? I love going to the nightclub!

A little history. I was booked on the Liberty because I fell in love with the 2.0 upgrades after sailing the Freedom. We were moved to the Valor (and at the same cost as the Liberty) because the Liberty and Valor are switching ports a week before our scheduled cruise. Because we wanted the 2.0 upgrades, we decided to switch from the Valor to the Sunshine.

Deck 5, the Promenade deck on Sunshine, is not an outdoor deck like the Promenade deck on say, the Breeze. There are places to sit in and around the Ocean Plaza on the Promenade deck on Sunshine, and the Alchemy bar and Red Frog Pub could supply those cocktails while reading, indoors. Try the Sunshine deck plans on Carnivals site or others.

The Liquid Lounge does double as the show theater and night club. Probably one of the biggest spots on the ship folks complain about. I sailed Sunshine twice, and have no real opinion of the liquid lounge...enjoyed a few shows there...spent a little time in the club...not an area on any ship I'm drawn too.

Edited by bar1068

Thanks, I am wearing them now.;) You were comparing a ship to a 150 year old house...now it makes sense:confused: not. The Sunshine, while in the same steel (wood house to a steel superstructure aside) is pretty much a new ship. Do you know what was done to either the diesel generators or propulsion system? How about the 30 minute wait for a hamburger in the old destiny? Listen, I get it. You are not impressed with a ship that has basically been entirely (steel plates aside) redone. I am, it exceed my wildest dreams of what I thought it would be. Is it a entirely "new" ship? I guess not. Is the main show lounge smaller? Yes, but I think that is where they are going with that. Does it have more people on than a Spirit class ship? Yes, but again take everything together and it comes out much to the positive. But to dismiss it out of hand is what I was commenting on. As you can see from the comments here (and many reviews) most people really enjoyed it. Maybe you would as well.;)

I may enjoy it and may give it a chance one day. Who knows? Just this morning reading in another thread someone was pretty negative about the Sunshine, don't remember the thread. I have read lots of good and bad about it. I was on it when it was the old Destiny and can relate to the bad comments I read about as the Sunshine. I have not seen anything about the mechanics being replaced. What was done to the engines and propulsion?

We were on Deck 6 in one of the Premium Vista Balconies. It was wonderful. Hope you have as good of a vacation as we did.

What are those?
Aft corner wrap around balcony cabins. There are 2 each on decks 6, 7 & 8 on those ships in the fleet over 100 K tons. The Dream, Breeze and Magic also have two on deck 9.

Deck 5, the Promenade deck on Sunshine, is not an outdoor deck like the Promenade deck on say, the Breeze. There are places to sit in and around the Ocean Plaza on the Promenade deck on Sunshine, and the Alchemy bar and Red Frog Pub could supply those cocktails while reading, indoors. Try the Sunshine deck plans on Carnivals site or others.

The Liquid Lounge does double as the show theater and night club. Probably one of the biggest spots on the ship folks complain about. I sailed Sunshine twice, and have no real opinion of the liquid lounge...enjoyed a few shows there...spent a little time in the club...not an area on any ship I'm drawn too.

Thanks bar1068.

I like the promenade deck on the Fantasy class ships. Indoor but have the huge window seats. I don't mind sitting indoors, I love just chillin' on the promenade deck every now and then.

Thanks bar1068.

I like the promenade deck on the Fantasy class ships. Indoor but have the huge window seats. I don't mind sitting indoors, I love just chillin' on the promenade deck every now and then.

YW....There are areas near Ocean Plaza..technically the sitting area for the Alchemy bar that have "window seats"....my wife is similar...loves to find a quiet spot on an interior deck with a seat and window to chill and read. There are a few other spots near the Atrium Bar by guest services, but that area tends to be a bit busier....Enjoy.

Let me preface this by saying I have never sailed on Sunshine. So my opinions are based upon other people's reports and my observations about what other people have been saying on this board (so basically speculation). However, based upon that, it seems as if there was a lot of hate for Sunshine before she was even remodeled (or whatever you want to call it). There were people who hate Destiny. Then there were people that hated that Carnival was taking away more public space and adding cabins. People that thought the Destiny was already crowded and there was no way Sunshine could be anything but worse. And then there were the people who were upset that Carnival had the gall to take an old ship, redo it and rebrand it as something else. "Lipstick on a pig" is one comment I heard several times. Then the whole triumph incident happened and I believe they are supposed to be similar ships. That did not help the image at all.

So, based upon that, I think there are SOME people that never gave it a chance. Maybe some never sailed on it or if they did, did not give it a fair chance.

Now, that is NOT to say that there are not people that went on it, had an open mind and then there were issues. Because it happens. Now, maybe there are issues with Sunshine itself. Maybe it was just a bad day, cruise, staff, whatever. That happens too.

I personally would have loved to go on Sunshine to check it out for myself. As a matter of fact, before I took my last Conquest cruise (last April) and I decided that it was my last Carnival cruise for a while. I was tired of all the little cutbacks and changes and just felt I wanted to check out another line. And then I found out Sunshine was going to NOLA and it peaked my interest in Carnival again. Unfortunately, they moved Sunshine pretty quickly, before I could sail on her. So I did not get the chance. If I sail Carnival again after this cruise, it is still on my list of ships I am interested in...

Don't bother. As you can see, comprehension is not his strong point, no matter how many times you try to explain what you meant.

And yes, your point was crystal clear. ;)

Edited by Cruzaholic41