New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

Did they send people to life boats on the ship that sank in Santorini a few years back? (Hmm, MS Sea Diamond it appears, back in 2007).

I'm not sure how effective the drills that are held on the ships are amongst first time cruisers that really are just looking to get through it to get to the start of their cruise. Only the repeat cruisers are getting the repetition that would be truly necessary. I just don't have the confidence that a lot of people are really going to remember anything from the drill in the event of a true emergency. Of course, that's why the crew trains on it regularly, so that hopefully there's some guidance for the masses if something happens. (Obviously, even that doesn't always work either.)

Well, there was the Oceanos that sank in 1991. Another case of the captain and crew abdicating their duty and leaving the ship early. The CD took charge and they launched lifeboats until the ship listed too far. Everyone else was airlifted off by helicopter. All were saved thankfully...

http://youtu.be/fOYvw-MWYNc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

I do agree if you feel that it is necessary to learn how to put on the life jacket you should bring it with you.

How do you know if you need to learn? Unless its compulsory, people aren't going to bring the jacket with them.

With over 20 cruises on Princess I think we know how to put them on, drills should be driven by how many cruise's one has taken, besides as a shareholder I'd rather have folks in the bars spending money than being frustrated at the beginning of the trip waiting for the elevator to return life jackets to the cabin, as the ship sails away...:)

I have over 35 cruises and look at each muster drill as an opportunity to reacquaint myself with the proper donning of a life jacket. Jackets have changed over time so their operation is not the same as it was. And practice helps to ensure proper use.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently onboard the Caribbean Princess. Life jackets ARE now required. This evidently changed when the new cruise director joined. They were not required three weeks ago on this same ship.

Wow that is a strange one. We were on with you a few weeks ago and like you said, the jacket were not required.

I wouldn't think that a cruise director would have any say in the matter.

Wow that is a strange one. We were on with you a few weeks ago and like you said, the jacket were not required.

I wouldn't think that a cruise director would have any say in the matter.

I believe that a new captain is now at the helm. I think Capt. Pomata just went on leave. Perhaps that's where the change is coming from.

I believe that a new captain is now at the helm. I think Capt. Pomata just went on leave. Perhaps that's where the change is coming from.

I'll check when I find a Princess Patter and report back. I'm about to lose my data connection because it's starting to get spotty, but I'll use some Internet minutes to follow up with you.

I'll check when I find a Princess Patter and report back. I'm about to lose my data connection because it's starting to get spotty, but I'll use some Internet minutes to follow up with you.

Thank you. Also I wonder if it makes a difference in the demographics ie first time cruisers to more frequent princess cruisers.

Edited by CruiseKing

I think the CD is in charge of the muster drill (although he/she certainly takes orders from above). That is one reason his/her staff is a large part of the drill.

The Staff Captain is technically in charge of muster operations, although in most cases the procedure is quite set so the CD handles it independently on the ship in terms of presentation. Any changes to muster procedure would at the very least need to be approved by him/her (and possibly corporate legal).

While the CD staff tends to be muster leaders (primarily due to language issues) over 60% of the ships staff is directly involved in the muster drill if not more (for example stewards are assisted by other staff in doing room clears), and that is all under the Staff Captain.

The CD can probably vary the 'script' a little, but still needs to hit the same point.

I think the CD is in charge of the muster drill (although he/she certainly takes orders from above). That is one reason his/her staff is a large part of the drill.

The thing that I find most interesting in all this is that whether or not life jackets are brought to muster drill seems to vary by ship within Princess, like many other policies.

On the Golden recently, we were told by staff that life jackets have been mandatory at drill per management ever since the Concordia disaster. But posters on different Princess ships after that have said they were told not to bring life jackets to muster drill...

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

They are apparently testing variations on the current muster process to see what works. Not sure when this test will be completed and if any changes will result. This includes minor changes to announcements, recorded announcements, as well as bigger items like taking lifejackets.

The thing that I find most interesting in all this is that whether or not life jackets are brought to muster drill seems to vary by ship within Princess, like many other policies.

On the Golden recently, we were told by staff that life jackets have been mandatory at drill per management ever since the Concordia disaster. But posters on different Princess ships after that have said they were told not to bring life jackets to muster drill...

We just got off the Golden last week in San Pedro. We had to take out life jackets to the muster and put them on although I never put mine on and have gone before without one. So on Golden as of last week, the policy remains the same.

We are in Grand Cayman now. Sorry for not getting a chance to follow up yesterday. Giorgio Pamota has indeed left the ship and the new captain is Craig Street.

CruiseKing had mentioned possibly the amount of first time cruisers. The ship is mostly first time cruisers with some elites, a few Platinum/Ruby and a lot of Gold. I've made that assumption from seeing those at bars with their ship cards and walking through the hallway on two decks.

So there is a new captain and a new cruise director onboard. The cruise director supposedly took a break from Princess for a while. His name is Paul [something]-Burns.

We are in Grand Cayman now. Sorry for not getting a chance to follow up yesterday. Giorgio Pamota has indeed left the ship and the new captain is Craig Street.

CruiseKing had mentioned possibly the amount of first time cruisers. The ship is mostly first time cruisers with some elites, a few Platinum/Ruby and a lot of Gold. I've made that assumption from seeing those at bars with their ship cards and walking through the hallway on two decks.

So there is a new captain and a new cruise director onboard. The cruise director supposedly took a break from Princess for a while. His name is Paul [something]-Burns.

If you happen to notice see if you can spot either Vyron or Rommel at the Calypso bar. They're both Filipino bartenders & take turns opening up the bar at 6 AM each morning.

We ALWAYS go willingly to the drill and listen to every word. On our first cruise in 1996 on the old Golden Princess we had a fire on the second morning while we were having breakfast. Since we had paid attention to the drill, we knew what the 7 bells meant; we knew to walk back to our cabin, collect the life jackets, warm coats and medicines, and proceed to our muster station which was one of the restaurants. Our kids were not in their cabin so we were confident that they had also gone to the muster station. (I will admit that I was quite relieved to see them at our table when we got there.) Everything was very orderly and we waited for a couple of hours at our station until they had everything under control. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the fire destroyed an engine so we had to be towed into Victoria. Quite an experience. I've always been one to take safety seriously and it paid off. For those who think these drills are a pain in the neck and choose to ignore them - get ready to be pushed aside by me if you don't know what to do or where to go in an emergency.

Please could an experienced cruiser advise me?

I am a disabled person using a wheeled walking frame, but on boarding an aircraft or in an emergency situation I use a wheeled suitcase in 1 hand and a walking stick in the other. If I keep medications and paperwork in the case, would it be ok if I warned the stateroom steward I would be managing with a stick and a case for mobility aids, and left the walker in the stateroom for the muster drill? I need to be down the front to hear and see clearly for any presentation, so I've been trying to puzzle out what is the safest option for me.

Dad's a former Volunteer Fireman, so I'm no hassle, other than reduced mobility in a crisis, I follow orders without question, only asking if I don't understand.

I fully understand an emergency may happen when I'm out and about on the ship, I'm thinking Muster Drill to gain the essential What To Do Knowledge-currently I'm a complete ignoramus and not ashamed to admit it!

Thanks for your help

Crochetcruise :cool:

Edited by crochetcruise
spelling mistake.

Please could an experienced cruiser advise me?

I am a disabled person using a wheeled walking frame, but on boarding an aircraft or in an emergency situation I use a wheeled suitcase in 1 hand and a walking stick in the other. If I keep medications and paperwork in the case, would it be ok if I warned the stateroom steward I would be managing with a stick and a case for mobility aids, and left the walker in the stateroom for the muster drill? I need to be down the front to hear and see clearly for any presentation, so I've been trying to puzzle out what is the safest option for me.

Dad's a former Volunteer Fireman, so I'm no hassle, other than reduced mobility in a crisis, I follow orders without question, only asking if I don't understand.

I fully understand an emergency may happen when I'm out and about on the ship, I'm thinking Muster Drill to gain the essential What To Do Knowledge-currently I'm a complete ignoramus and not ashamed to admit it!

Thanks for your help

Crochetcruise :cool:

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering if you need to bring medications and paperwork in a suitcase to the muster drill? Thankfully, the answer is no, and you will be just fine with a walker only. You may need some assistance to get down front, though, if it is being held in a tiered venue such as the Princess Theatre. Normally in those, passengers with mobility issues are seated to the rear for convenience.

The question for you, I think, would be how to respond in a true emergency? I would think placing your meds and necessary paperwork in a pocket or pouch attached to your walker would be the way to go, rather than attempt bringing a suitcase to a muster station through possibly crowded passageways in an emergency.

I would check with your Cruise Director to be sure, though, unless another poster has experience with your situation and can shed some light on your concerns.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity