Packing in Carry on Only

jenn6743

can fit in a carry-on till you try.

I did a 7 day Caribbean cruise this summer and used just the carry-on and a tote.

What did not go in my bags were the sunscreen and aloe (husbands checked luggage). I never advise trying a new brand of sunscreen in case of allergic reaction.

My two gowns were ultralight Jessica Simpson which COULD have fit in my tote- but since my daughter had a lot of room in her checked luggage- I did toss them in there to have less to tote around.

I also gave her a pair of dress sandals which I WAS GOING to leave hime...but since DD had so much room- tossed them in..

What really helped me is I chose all the "lightest weight" clothing choices.

I took pics of all the bottoms and tops....because it was a huge accomplishment. I did take two bathing suits, but one had a skirt, and the other a high front- so I will go for a simpler suit for next trip- will save space and be more comfy under clothes.

I did not do any laundry.

I have been inspired to now try a carry on for a 12 day cruise back to Europe...

Rolling everything got it all tucked in nicely...and I didn't use the expansion zipper and I did not limit to a neutral color palette....as I love color and variety...my shorts/skirts/pants are solid colors, but the tops were not.

I just bought two dresses and thought to myself..these qualify for the next cruise. :) which is not booked yet!

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet
add

This is SO easy! The link to Jon Holloway packing light that was posted in the first few comments is just an awesome tool, especially for cruising. You really don't need to spend money on special packs.

I was totally a serious overpacker for years! We would haul two full sized suitcase on a weekend cruise. It took a bag being lost, found and being lost forever again and a bag that was lost and brought to our house at 3 AM with a baggage return company banging on my door trying to wake the dead :eek: to really wake us up. Then there was also *I didn't wear nearly half of this* and I would end up rewashing anything. That would really be a killjoy to me personally after this relaxing vacation!

In a nutshell, here is what I take:

2 pairs of dressy pants

4 blouses to match

1 pair of formal pants

2 formal blouses

1 dress, black-2 pashminas to adorn with

3-4 pairs of shorts

4-6 blouses

bathing suit or two

scarf or two

light sweater

nightgown

coverup

underwear

few pieces of jewelry in a roll bag

makeup, toiletries, travel soap sheets-just in case

various chargers, i-Pad, Nook

Belkin travel surge protector

travel clothing pins

If we stay for a night or two before hand, I either keep the outfit that I'm going to wear the next day out of the bundle and either place it on top of the bundle or I take a smaller bag to put under the seat. Just depends on my mood. I've never had a problem with making it work. I'm fluffy and my clothes aren't small....so this will work for most anyone. It's a matter of thinking outside of the box. You have the pants on for a few hours....most of us work all day and have our clothing on at least 8 hours. I just don't feel that the pants are dirty. Everything is without wrinkle....we've never encountered an issue. It's important to just be organized, figure out what you are going to wear with what, and pack the way he shows you. Once you start doing it, it gets easier and easier!

I also pack my husband's bag and he takes his suit this way along with two dress shirts and ties.

This is a picture of my stuff laid out on the bed. I make sure everything is matching and I'm happy with my selections.

beforepacking_zpsba07d78f.jpg"]beforepacking_zpsba07d78f.jpg[/url]

This is everything packed. I didn't open the expander on this trip which even amazed me!

packingjob_zps28e8ef17.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

What about shoes? purses? sunhat? hair stuff/dryer/brushes? I find it's all those 'extras' that add up! (and definitely the flip flops/sandals - have a few I bring along and wear my runners on the plane along with a 'warmer' hoodie).

Again, careful planning would be best here. Plan your outfits and the shoes that go with them. I only bring 3 pairs: Puma flats to wear during the day, which also double as water shoes; sneakers for hiking excursions (worn on the plane); and heels for formal. Now the key is to not pack platform heels with thick or hard straps. Mine have a soft fabric top so they can squish down to save room.

I bring a tiny purse for around the ship to hold my phone, camera, sea pass card. In port I have a cotton tote that I toss the mini in along with whatever else I need for the day.

My sun hat is packable, so it also can squish down.

I don't bring a hair dryer bc there is one in the cabin and my hair is thin and dries quickly, but I do bring a curling iron and flat iron.

All hair and beauty products, decant into small 1 oz or even smaller sizes. Contact lens cases work great. Mark them with a Sharpie on the outside of what they are.

What about shoes? purses? sunhat? hair stuff/dryer/brushes? I find it's all those 'extras' that add up! (and definitely the flip flops/sandals - have a few I bring along and wear my runners on the plane along with a 'warmer' hoodie).

I have a folding, floppy sunhat that fits right with my stuff (pictured with my stuff in the middle of the bed, just forgot to list it), 3 or 4 pairs of shoes at the very most (one of which is on my feet), I use the blow dryer on board which is adequate for my needs and I carry a small Coach bag on cruises that has my hairbrush in it. I don't usually carry a bag on the ship. I have to be honest, it mostly stays locked up in the safe.

It may not be for everyone, but it does work for us in many ways. The biggest thing it has really solved for me is fashion meltdowns. I used to stress so much about what I was going to wear on a cruise! I would start haunting clearance racks as soon as I had a deposit on the books. Now, there are no worries for me. I have recently invested in a few pieces of travel knit (not because it packs well, more because I like the selections) and everything else is from my weekly wear. I don't think anyone is looking that hard at your wardrobe when you are vacationing and if they are, they have too much time on their hands.

Picture of my cool folding hat....I just love Tuesday Morning! :)

hat1_zps0db7bf50.jpg

hat2_zpsa3ff7647.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

I guess my traveling for a living has greatly helped in me packing for a 7 day in a carry-on. I have already packed my bag. 6 sundresses, 3 dressier dresses, 2 Capri's, 2 shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 2 bathing suits, 2 coverups, 4 tops, 2 pairs of sandals, a pair of heels, toiletries minus makeup and still have a bit of space :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

We just got back from the Crown Princess Coastal California cruise. The carryon packing system saved us quite a lot of trouble in the fiasco with Air Canada which I am sure dh will write about later. Our flight was cancelled due to landing gear problems & instead of landing at home in Kamloops the evening of disembarkation, we were going thru Customs in Vancouver after 2 am. Air Canada had us into a nice hotel but after shuttle & checking in we got to bed at 3 am with a 6:30 am wake up for our shuttle back out. My auto immune issues were starting up so muscle weakness & dizziness plus dh & I were exhausted.

So incredibly thankful we got home safe & all is well but we said over and over ~~ what about the ones wrestling big luggage especially the elderly, and secondly we have never been so grateful we began using this packing method.

In the airport next morning at YVR, I saw another of my hard learnt travel lessons in action as I saw a nice woman trying to sponge a coffee stain off a gorgeous creamy ivory sweater. I make what I call "coffee spill proof" tops a big part of my plan. A print that incorporates the colours of my capsule wardrobe, in a polyester lycra blend which breathes but can be rinsed in an airport sink if needed, squeezed out with some blow dry from hand dryers or paper towels, and put back on. I wore my black, tan & beige animal print tank top that still looked wrinkle & stain free although I had spilt more than one thing on it from the heartburn burger sauce at LAX to several swigs of coffee & encounters with who knows what.

When I wear a solid, I pair it with a print scarf to act as a bib or camouflage in case of spots like grease that persist till home laundry.

I am tired but I will add what I can to this thread, although many of the best tips were already mentioned.

Figure out shoes & your core neutrals. This time was black & browns with khaki & light olive greens so I wore my heaviest black running shoes & packed a pair of Havianas. We weren't doing formal night so my Rockport sandals went instead of the bronze mules that usually do me for formal & dress nights. All 3 pants including the ones I wore, and my 1 pair of Capris were black. I wore a tan suede blazer, and packed a thin rayon light weight khaki green cardigan with 5 or 6 tops (I would have to check my list on my iPod but I'm too tired). My prints & plains tops & 3 scarves all went with the 3 pants, 2 jacket/cardigan pattern I follow. This time I didn't pack a dress, opting for a couple of heavier sweaters.

We are limited as our carryons can't exceed 22 lbs. I weigh them at home, which is good because they weigh them at our home airport. We were 2 & 3 lbs over limit when our airport checked us in so we did a quick reshuffle, amongst my handbag and dh's computer knapsack (both well under). Our gate agent is known for being fussy. Now that all checked bags are charged for I think there is a big profit motive for them to find overweight carryons! Mr. Fussy was like that before so I don't think that changed for him, he is just doing an extra good job which I am glad of, since people try to bring amazing amounts on board taking up way more than their share. If you board last, it can be disheartening.

Pick superlight luggage cases, and 4 spinner wheels are a must for dh & I.

That's all for now. Back to resting. :-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Can't emphasize enough to reduce the size of cosmetics, creams etc. As others mention, using sample pots like ones from cosmetic counters. I love GO tubes. I itch from most shampoo so i have to bring mine. Dh & I share it plus a GO tube of sunscreen. On the way home toss contents, and that saves weight & room in the liquid allowance. Otherwise if you can use the lotions, soaps & shampoo they supply. We use travel size shave cream & hair mousse/ hairspray stuff & toss for the trip home if our purchases on the cruise weigh more than planned.

Liquid stuff weighs a lot. The allowance bags help me keep a lid on my creams etc. Powder cosmetics help. But every extra powder compact & eye shadow weighs something, so just like clothing it helps to pare down.

Hair dryers are supplied.

I found disciplining my shoes the hardest but they are the bulkiest & heaviest items. I start with my shoe list for that reason. I base my wardrobe around the shoes not the other way round. Seems to help me anyway. I have plantar fasciitis so my feet hurt easily. Even if they didn't I'd still consider foot health & comfort as my top priority because if my feet get sore it can spoil a vacation or interfere with shore excursions. I always wear my heavy pair for flight days.

San Diego hat company makes packable hats. I bought one on a visit to st. Martin along time ago, used it ever since. Wide shady brim with a stiff rim of sorts that pops back after folding up.

I personally wish you could buy travel make up in smaller sizes. (I hate having to wait for one of the gifts that are offered by the various cosmetic companies) or even more ideal would be to be able to buy the makeup on cardboard like Mary Kay uses for their samples. One of the few places I wear make up is on a cruise and it would be really neat to just have small amounts that can be disposed of when done.

I buy travel size makeup from sephora, and get samples of my daily skin care routine for traveling that way I don't have to worry about the full size products. I was actually at one last night on Long Island and explained to the lady I was going to be flying and then on a cruise. She gave me 8 days worth of my skin care products in sample sizes.

I personally wish you could buy travel make up in smaller sizes. (I hate having to wait for one of the gifts that are offered by the various cosmetic companies) or even more ideal would be to be able to buy the makeup on cardboard like Mary Kay uses for their samples. One of the few places I wear make up is on a cruise and it would be really neat to just have small amounts that can be disposed of when done.

It can all be condensed just takes some thought.

Liquids decanted into contacts cases or 'Visine' dropper bottles.

Powders can be tricky.

Eye shadows can be 'preloaded' onto QTips.

You can buy small containers online for other powders.

Try everything at home first to see what works for you.

We just got back from the Crown Princess Coastal California cruise. The carryon packing system saved us quite a lot of trouble in the fiasco with Air Canada which I am sure dh will write about later. Our flight was cancelled due to landing gear problems & instead of landing at home in Kamloops the evening of disembarkation, we were going thru Customs in Vancouver after 2 am. Air Canada had us into a nice hotel but after shuttle & checking in we got to bed at 3 am with a 6:30 am wake up for our shuttle back out. My auto immune issues were starting up so muscle weakness & dizziness plus dh & I were exhausted.

So incredibly thankful we got home safe & all is well but we said over and over ~~ what about the ones wrestling big luggage especially the elderly, and secondly we have never been so grateful we began using this packing method.

In the airport next morning at YVR, I saw another of my hard learnt travel lessons in action as I saw a nice woman trying to sponge a coffee stain off a gorgeous creamy ivory sweater. I make what I call "coffee spill proof" tops a big part of my plan. A print that incorporates the colours of my capsule wardrobe, in a polyester lycra blend which breathes but can be rinsed in an airport sink if needed, squeezed out with some blow dry from hand dryers or paper towels, and put back on. I wore my black, tan & beige animal print tank top that still looked wrinkle & stain free although I had spilt more than one thing on it from the heartburn burger sauce at LAX to several swigs of coffee & encounters with who knows what.

When I wear a solid, I pair it with a print scarf to act as a bib or camouflage in case of spots like grease that persist till home laundry.

I am tired but I will add what I can to this thread, although many of the best tips were already mentioned.

Figure out shoes & your core neutrals. This time was black & browns with khaki & light olive greens so I wore my heaviest black running shoes & packed a pair of Havianas. We weren't doing formal night so my Rockport sandals went instead of the bronze mules that usually do me for formal & dress nights. All 3 pants including the ones I wore, and my 1 pair of Capris were black. I wore a tan suede blazer, and packed a thin rayon light weight khaki green cardigan with 5 or 6 tops (I would have to check my list on my iPod but I'm too tired). My prints & plains tops & 3 scarves all went with the 3 pants, 2 jacket/cardigan pattern I follow. This time I didn't pack a dress, opting for a couple of heavier sweaters.

We are limited as our carryons can't exceed 22 lbs. I weigh them at home, which is good because they weigh them at our home airport. We were 2 & 3 lbs over limit when our airport checked us in so we did a quick reshuffle, amongst my handbag and dh's computer knapsack (both well under). Our gate agent is known for being fussy. Now that all checked bags are charged for I think there is a big profit motive for them to find overweight carryons! Mr. Fussy was like that before so I don't think that changed for him, he is just doing an extra good job which I am glad of, since people try to bring amazing amounts on board taking up way more than their share. If you board last, it can be disheartening.

Pick superlight luggage cases, and 4 spinner wheels are a must for dh & I.

That's all for now. Back to resting. :-)

Thanks for the heads up on Air Canada new carry on rules. I am flying in 2 weeks on Air Canada. I had my 20 inch carry on comfortably packed and weighed it. What I mean by comfortably packed is it was full and I was able zip it without and extra pressure and it weighted 24 pounds. That was a bummer so I made some adjustments and got it within the weight limits.

I looked this policy on the internet and found this news video. http://globalnews.ca/news/1591393/air-canada-begins-crackdown-on-carry-on-baggage/

I noticed that many of the people were having problems because their carry on were too fat so I decided to check mine. To check your luggage dimensions lay it on a hard surface and measure from the hard surface to the top. Do the same straight up. I discovered my luggage manufacture didn't count the wheels and with items in the lid it was 11 inches. I took everything out of the lid and I may be able to squeeze it in but it will be close.

If the crack down is industry wide packing in a carry on will become more challenging.

Shak

I buy travel size makeup from sephora, and get samples of my daily skin care routine for traveling that way I don't have to worry about the full size products. I was actually at one last night on Long Island and explained to the lady I was going to be flying and then on a cruise. She gave me 8 days worth of my skin care products in sample sizes.

Great idea, will have to look into that too! thanks for that tip...

That's what I do! If you aren't near a Sephora, they have a "travel size" section on their website. I don't do the whole "clown makeup" thing ;)- no need for primer, foundation, blush, setting stuff, 12 shades of eyeshadow, 12 eyeliners to match the 12 shadows, daytime and nightime mascara… I'm just packing my SPF moisturizer, 1 neutral eyeshadow (now I like Urban Decay Naked), 2 eyeliners (both are good alone or paired with Naked), one mascara.

Since I'm female and currently traveling to sunny Caribbean without flying (yet) I mostly pack dresses that don't need to be iron and can roll up easily in 21 inch rolling Rockland duffel bag. I currently have 14 dresses (I literally wear like 2 outfits a day) plus 2 bathing suits, 2 heavy cardigan sweaters, 2 shoes (waterproof ballerina crocs and sandals), enough undies to last 7-12 days plus beach hat. I have toiletry backpack (old bag hurt my arm more than the rolling bag) that holds my hair products ( hair breaks too easily), comb, brush, hair pins/bands, body lotion, sunscreen, pjs, body wash, deodorant, tooth brush/paste, pens, pencils, index cards, aspirin, tums, mini 1st aid kit, waterproof bag, beach bag and spare plastic bags for laundry. Finally a third bag that hold wallet, passport, cellphone with charger, eyeglass case and boarding pass.

The trick to packing light is being honest with yourself and asking 'How many times have I brought this with me and wore it?' & 'Am I actually going to wear this on vacation?' If the answer to either one is 'No', then don't bring or put it in your bag. The only things that should take up alot space in lugguage are shoes (limit it to 2-3), heavy sweaters, heavy jeans (more than 3-4 will make any bag extremely heavy) and I forgot what the 4th item is that takes up alot space (someone esle can fill that in [emoji2] ). If need be, make a list and/or try to coordinate what you plan to wear each day/night (this includes port stops and whatever evening reservations plans you have). Try to make some of your outfits work double duty for you by matching well with other clothes or shoes (all my dresses match well with style of the of both shoes).

Whatever you plan to do OP, I wish you well and good luck!! [emoji1]

Before our Caribbean cruise in July I decided I was tired of all the hair stuff I usually pack so I tried a new short frosted haircut before we left. I told myself it would grow back, but it turned out I loved it. It was great in and out of beach, pool, etc, I got a lot of compliments, so I've kept it. If it wasn't for packing wars, I bet I never would have tried it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I loved those links. She even has one inspiring one where she packs for a weekend wedding in her purse. Inspirational, but even though I'm a light packer, I'm not there yet. :p

I really liked some of her points on choosing a bag (dh and I used a scale to weigh the carryon bags before we bought them). It's amazing what the manufacturers call extra light! We bought the lightest hard shell with wheels that we could get but some of them were a couple of lbs heavier.

She is right about decanting the liquids. If you aren't going to use 3.4 oz of a liquid, why waste space on that much. Her little how to pictorial on using an old visine dropper bottle for liquid makeup was quite something.

I just got back from 17 nights in Europe (12 on a cruise with formal nights) and we did it all with carry-on. I had to drag DH into the concept, but it worked alsmot flawlessly. I have the list of clothing I brought that I will get around to posting when the fog has cleared from the 9 hour time difference.

I brought some items that I planned to leave behind - not raggedly but worn enough that they were ready for the charity pile. That freed up room for a few small souvenirs.

We used the bundle packing method and it worked brilliantly. DH rented a tux that fit him almost as well as his own. It came with 2 shirts so next time I hope to convince him not to bring his own. I had two maxi dresses that I dressed up with jewelry and sparkly shawls for formal night. I wasn't the most glamorous woman on the ship, but I was still at the top of the dressy range.

We had a few too many miscellaneous items, such as charging cords and a charging block that we never used, but otherwise I wore everything except my bathing suit, usually 2-3 times. I did a lot of handwashing, just tossed things into the sink while I showered, rolled them in a towel and hung them to dry (I did feel for our stateroom attendant).

I loved not having to wait at baggage claim in Rome or LAX. For cruises where we drive to port I'll still pack a larger bag, but for flying, I hope I never have to lug a big suitcase again!

Critterchick I would love to see your list when you are up to it. Dh & I usually do formal nights doing the same thing, the rental tux. They are a great fit & he looks so handsome. I do like the formal night. I don't have a problem packing a dress, wrap & light heels in my carryon.

I really enjoy planning my packing lists, & each time I get a bit better.

I guess my traveling for a living has greatly helped in me packing for a 7 day in a carry-on. I have already packed my bag. 6 sundresses, 3 dressier dresses, 2 Capri's, 2 shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 2 bathing suits, 2 coverups, 4 tops, 2 pairs of sandals, a pair of heels, toiletries minus makeup and still have a bit of space :)

This sounds similar to what I'll do for my upcoming cruise. I'm planning for ~2 outfit changes/day but will mix/match some of the pieces. I plan on working out so I will bring sneakers and 2 gym outfits.

We are doing a 7 day European river cruise with 3 days pre cruise in Amsterdam and I am going to do just a carry on. Here are my ideas:

Before you begin to pack, ask Do you REALLY need it? Evaluate and Discard

1. Start with the lightest bag you can get. I have a 22" Lipault and it only weighs 5.3 lbs. The Bomb! See it here: http://http://www.lipault-us.com/softluggage-1/22-2-wheeled-foldable-carry-on.html Soft and you can cram so much in it and it stores down into nothing!

2. I love compression bags- I fold all color coordinated clothing very neatly and place in compression bags that totally melt in the luggage.

3. Consider smart travel clothing: I am planning to wear jeans & the unbelievable ScotteVest on the plane which makes TSA a breeze, just put the vest in the bin and you're done. All electronics, chargers, glasses, documents, ID, money, passport, etc will be readily accessible in my bulkhead seat, so no huge tote needed on the plane at all. http://http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/RFID_Vest_Women.shtml

4. I am taking 1 reversible dress (TravelSmith), 1 pr of dress slacks, 2 capris, 8 tops, scarf, rainjacket, pjs, small crossbody purse, All clothing is lightweight, easy care, no iron & could be hand laundered in a pinch. Check out TravelSmith and Chicos for reversible clothing options.

5. No hairdryer, no shampoo, no conditioner- it is all available in hotels/ship. I have an all-in-one bare minerals makeup zippered container for travel & sample size facial products/toothpaste/essentials/flat medication container the size of a deck of cards

6. Tory Burch ballet flats for evening, a good pair of walking shoes & lightweight packable tennis shoes for exercise. That's it, no other shoes- they will kill your packing plans!

I have been known to mail a box of dirty clothes home from the nearest UPS office in the event shopping creates a space problem! :D

And, last but not least, I have a friend that packs & wears her old lingerie/underwear and discards them as she wears it to create more space for the trip home! LOL!:o I may not do that, but I could always sacrifice my husband's to make a little room in his bag for my stuff! LOL, j/k :eek:

I am really looking forward to NOT lugging around so much stuff that is so unnecessary in traveling. Good luck!