Oct 1 - Star to Cabo/La Paz....

pca7ggr

Anyone else concerned about the visiting these port so soon after the Hurricane paid its visit?

A call to Princess's 800 number soon after the hurricane indicated that they had made no plans to change the itinerary. Late week, my travel agent advised us that Princess was trying to find alternate ports to visit. Yet yesterday, I got an email urging us to book excursions in scheduled ports.

I for one am not looking forward to visiting these ports to view the desolation left by this natural disaster.

Cabo is starting to pick itself up. Both Walmart and Soriana have reopened.

Depends on the tender dock situation. The pix I've seen show the seating areas with no benches and the a few of the shops on the dock have collpased.

While the ports can obviously use the tourist dollars to help rebuild I would think the last thing they need at this time is the tourists themselves. I would think that Princess will need to find something else for folks booked on Mexican Rivera cruises at this time.

I'm booked for November and they may well be back in business at these ports. If not, we will either visit other ports or else have a lot of sea days. Right now though it doesn't seem likely that the ports will be "open for business" for a while.

I'm also on the Oct 1 cruise and I figure if the ports are ready and we can help the economy by visiting then I'm all for it. If they are not ready then we go somewhere else. If we don't go somewhere else we stay on the ship. Under any of these scenarios I end up being a winner :D

Seriously, though, I hope we can go to the ports mostly because it would be nice to be able to support their economy without much delay. I hope everyone on the cruise patronizes the shops, restaurants, etc. and leaves extra big tips. We can still have fun and be helpful at the same time.

Tom

Lots of logistics involved with switching ports. The e-mail that went out was probably system generated and yes should never had gone out, but I sincerely doubt that Princess is insensitive to the situation in Cabo. I leave on Saturday for a Panama Canal cruise and we were supposed to stop in Cabo on the 30th. Still haven't heard about a change yet. Once Princess has everything worked out for an alternative port I'm sure they'll let us all know.

Hi there. I'm on the same cruise as you. And yes, I am mainly concerned about visiting Cabo. I understand they're working hard to recover from the hurricane, and as an area that relies heavily on touristic travel, they need to recover quickly. Sadly, I don't think many who live there will rebound as well but at least the businesses should be up and running.

However, I am not sure that I want to experience Cabo so soon after the tragedy. Depending on the reports from others who visit in the next week, I may not disembark while in port or may spend less time than I originally planned. I guess it's a wait and see situation for me.

From USA Today - Princess cancels September 26th stop in Cabo

Authorities are still cleaning up Mexico's Baja peninsula after the impact of Hurricane Odile. Princess Cruises has become the first cruise line to cancel a port call there.

Princess said its 1,970-passenger Coral Princess, which had been scheduled to call at Cabo San Lucas on September 26, will skip that stop and call instead at Puerto Vallarta further south in Mexico.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/09/22/princess-cruises-cancels-cabo-san-lucas-port-call/16045091/

Edited by Earplug

Nice! Not a word of sympathy towards the residents affected... it's the me, me me mentality...

Actually, I have seen a lot of concern on the boards about the situation in Cabo, LaPaz and Loreto. I, for one, have posted several times that it would be wonderful if we could bring in needed supplies.

I called Princess yesterday regarding the emails. Yes, they are automatically generated, but there is no reason they could not have been stopped. That is why you have an operations and IT department. The Customer Relations rep I spoke with agreed that the letters should not have gone out. You are still able to book excursions at "luxury hotels on beautiful white sand beaches". That is sad.

Wherever we go, I hope that we will do something to help the folks struggling on the Baja. I have friends there, it isn't pretty.

Denise

Have heard no word from Princess........how are Loredo and La Paz doing? Can't seem to find out anything. Julie

Julie, Google "LaPaz hurricane damage 2014". The photos show utter devastation. They are in need of money to get supplies. One article said the need for water and food would be ongoing for weeks.

It is so sad.

Denise

Where is Manzanillo?

Manzanillo is south of Puerto Vallarta, north of Alcapulco. We have been there twice. Once when they weren't expecting us because Ixtapa was cancelled. It is a very Mexican town. The port has been improved since our first visit. We really enjoyed both of our stops there.

Cheers, Denise

Nice! Not a word of sympathy towards the residents affected... it's the me, me me mentality...

I don't see anywhere in your signature where you were in say....New Orleans helping with Katrina...or Thailand with the Tsunami.... Oh wait I guess you've spent all you're time in Japan helping clean up Nuclear waste..

Nice of you to judge. Maybe someone with compassion not wanting to pile on.

Edited by Yehootu
Edit to be polite

OMG thanks for the info.......I guess these smaller towns aren't mentioned......what do you think will happen on our Oct 1st Mexican Riv. cruise???? We're wondering where we'll go!!!

Who knows where we will end up! Just one big mystery. I think probably to Princess also. :-) Look forward to meeting you at the Meet and Greet, Julie!

I do know, when we spent almost four weeks on the Ocean Princess along the West Coast of Africa, the same Princess representative met us in every port, flying ahead and doing all the "advance" work. My guess is Princess actually has someone on the ground in Baja, but they aren't saying anything until a final decision has been made. At least, that's what I've been told by three different representatives in Customer Relations! Today we actually got an extension number from a rep who asked us to call her back! We'll see.

Into the final week of countdown to the great unknown...

Cathy (and Bob)

Anyone else concerned about the visiting these port so soon after the Hurricane paid its visit?

A call to Princess's 800 number soon after the hurricane indicated that they had made no plans to change the itinerary. Late week, my travel agent advised us that Princess was trying to find alternate ports to visit. Yet yesterday, I got an email urging us to book excursions in scheduled ports.

I for one am not looking forward to visiting these ports to view the desolation left by this natural disaster.

pca7ggr, are you signed up on our roll call for the Star, October 1? Check it out, and join us if you can. The Meet and Greet is October 2, 11 a.m. in Skywalkers. We live just up the road in Danville.

Cathy