First time with a balcony - any tips or advice?

ukittenmerightmeow

Don't just order coffee go ahead and order breakfast and sit out and watch the sunrise (if your on the correct side). I also agree with watching the sunset with a nice cocktail or two. My husband and I love the balcony cabins, have one booked with the L-shaped cabin in a couple of weeks (double the size), might just take a few naps out there. It's great for reading if your into that also. Enjoy your cruise, I too will be on the Conquest in couple of weeks for eastern caribbean. Can't wait!!:D

Leaving Sunday on Conquest for Eastern Caribbean and this will be our first time with a balcony cabin! Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Well, it is the perfect place to sit with your sweetie in the evening and watch the submarine races.;) And, if the neighbors aren't out, you can become members of the balcony club.:o

Well, it is the perfect place to sit with your sweetie in the evening and watch the submarine races.;) And, if the neighbors aren't out, you can become members of the balcony club.:o

Check out the reflection - if you can see your neighbor's balcony, they can see yours. If you want to put on a show, go for it.

Check out the reflection - if you can see your neighbor's balcony, they can see yours. If you want to put on a show, go for it.

Agree! You can absolutely see your neighbors, and they can see you, in the reflection of the glass wall. Our last cruise we had neighbors who liked to sit on their balcony naked, 2 women and 1 man. It didn't bother us at all but I know they heard us giggling!

Other than that, enjoy! We never cruise in anything but a balcony room.

Agree! You can absolutely see your neighbors, and they can see you, in the reflection of the glass wall. Our last cruise we had neighbors who liked to sit on their balcony naked, 2 women and 1 man. It didn't bother us at all but I know they heard us giggling!

Other than that, enjoy! We never cruise in anything but a balcony room.

A helpful hint: You know that roll of duct tape you brought along? Take a piece and tape a towel along the gap between the balcony divider and the glass wall. Now the neighbors can't see your reflection.;) Of course, it's also a good idea to be as quiet as mouses (or is it mice?) when you're out there being frisky.

Edited by beachbum53

Balcony staterooms are the best. Cruise number 8 coming up and except for the first one they have all been balconies. Love Coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. I will suggest you really hold onto the door. It slams LOUD. And if I am next door to you will you please turn off your light when you go to bed. Thanks.

Besides all the above excellent suggestions........another fun thing having a balcony, if you're on dock side in port. Grab a cold drink and be out on the balcony when the ship is getting ready to sail and watch the late comers back to the ship, otherwise known as pier runners! Some are drunk and stumbling back and some just late and running for their lives to get back before we sail without them. It's a hoot!

Take a small bungee cord. You will then be able to leave balcony door open. Otherwise you will have to open and close continuosly and as someone else said it is heavy and noisy. We just returned from the Freedom and got up early in the morning and opened it up and sat out and had our coffee and it really made a difference.

Edited by aarep
mispelled

We have a balcony for the first time in 9 days...!! Woot woot! I'm so afraid I will love it so much I will never want an oceanview again. Wasn't going to bring wine with the OV but I will have to since we upgraded so I can enjoy it on the balcony (price drop while back aallowed for the update at same price). Can't wait!

Go to buffet and get cheese and crackers and have a nice glass of wine on your balcony in the evening! Also bring clips to hold down towels or wet swimsuits to your chairs. Enjoy!

LOVE the idea of cheese and wine on the balcony. I know how I'm going to spend a few of my evenings.:)

We spoiled ourselves from the beginning with a balcony and can't imagine cruising without one!

Wish list for balcony rules:

1. Don't turn on the light. It ruins the ability to see the stars and disturbs others enjoying sitting on their balcony in the dark.

2. Hold onto door when closing.

3. Don't pull your head around side to gawk at your neighbors.

4. Not a place to have arguments or loud conversations.

That being said the joys out weigh the annoyances. As others have said order room service and enjoy the start of the day on the balcony no matter what time you get up. We have coffee and danish as a "pre" breakfast.

Wine and chocolate at sail away.

Great place to view pulling into or away from ports.

Stand at railing at night in your white robe and breath in the wonderful sea air and give thanks for the opportunity to be able to afford to cruise.

Enjoy your first balcony room and happy sailing!

My 'to-do on the balcony' suggestion is to get up in the middle of the night and set out there and enjoy the sea pretty much to yourself. So many people have called it a day and it is quiet and peaceful. Almost on the verge of spooky when the heavy mist hangs over the water and you know the depth below is sometimes thousands of feet. You feel very small compared to the world around you about this time. And if you are lucky, the wind and the mist and the sound of the waves can sing you to sleep as you lie cuddled up in you robe. Enjoy your balcony!!

The one thing about Carnival balconies that I wish they would change in future new ship design is to have sliding doors instead of hinged. I had a sliding door on the Crown Princess last month in Alaska and it was so easy and quiet to use: no slamming and banging, just gliding.

Edited by evandbob