Considering a cruise with our girls...their own room??

crazyboutdisney

We've been getting our kids their own room since they were 14 and 11. What is the alternative? A week with four in the cabin and no privacy when you want it? Having to "schedule" times for your kids to be out of the cabin? No thanks. That doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me.

I agree. I'm just not doing 4 to a regular-sized cabin.

We are considering cruising with our kids for the first time. Looking ahead and this wont be until 2016 and they will be 12 and 19. I am just curious what other people do.....do you get them their own room? Do you feel comfortable with them being in their own room on the ship? Is it hard to get adjoining rooms?? Tell me your experiences :)

Went on first cruise this past March with hubbs, son (14), and daughter (11). We all stayed in an inside room together and it was fine. Going on another cruise in 2 weeks and all of us are staying in an OV together. For us, it was great bonding time without technology keeping us from talking and having a blast. Plus they loved the pull down beds from the ceilings. It's all what you make of it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

First time we cruised as a family we had connecting cabins, with the kids (then 10 & 14) booked in their own cabin.

This time they are 14 and 18, and again in their own cabin. We were not asked either time to put an adult in each room.

Only challenge I have had... if an adult isn't in the cabin with the kids, you can't pre-register them for the kids programs.

Connecting cabins are the way to go IMHO. Have a great trip!

We just booked the Glory in April 2015. My wife and I in a balcony room, and my 17 year daughter and her 17 year old BFF three doors down on the inside. Some misinformation in some earlier posts. You you don't need to register an adult in each room. That whole swapping keys thing is ridiculous. One post had it right ( per our PVP ) : within 3 rooms of the adults for 13 to 17-year-olds, and for 18 and up anywhere on the ship with linked reservations.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by lablover61

On our last cruise our girls were 3 and 11 and they were in the hallway across from our room. We obtained and extra room keys from Guest Services so that everyone could have their own SS card but still enter their rooms. Bonus was that my wife's card would open the girls room and my 11 year old's could open ours. Never had an issue or a need for the girls to run into our room but it did provide everyone with that piece of mind and comfort.

We were on the Spirit two weeks ago with out children and booked two rooms. They are 11, 13 & 15. When we booked we had to have an adult in each room however they told us they never check that people are sleeping in the correct rooms so we just swapped over and my wife and I had a room and the kids were next door.

We then visited the guest services desk and explained our living conditions and they gave us an extra keypads for the other room so we could enter whenever we liked.

The kids did their own thing throughout the day (and night) and didn't want to hang around us much, and it gave them a bit more independence.

ImageUploadedByForums1411875327.410869.jpg.439983e7061a33cd20f70ba7d0bcf8e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by morphet

When our Grandsons travel with us they have their own room close to us. Since they have a different last name than we do (daughters married) we have to put the room in one of our names as they are underage. We have a mock card (no charging privileges) made for each cabin so we can all go in and out of all cabins.We leave our door lock out so they can just push the door open when they come in and say We're back then lock our door. It has always worked well for us.

We're taking our daughters in January. We went through our PVP to book them in their own room, couldn't do it online. It's not adjoining but right next to us. We'll have the balcony door opened between. Family time is very important but let's face it, I'm on vacation with my husband too! ;)

I haven't read all of the responses, but absolutely would I feel comfortable having a 12 year old and 19 year old in a cabin by themselves. 19 years old is an adult. I had my own apartment when I was 19.

My kids are 7, 8, and 10 years old. My hubby wanted them in a cabin by themselves. We're splitting up with an adult in each so only one has to order the "Cheers" program.

Why do so many people give wrong info? If you don't know that you can book your children in a cabin of their own when they are a certain age, why would you tell the op that it can't be done?

It's no wonder so many people get confused. This site is for information, not mis-information. I have only read a few threads on here today and every single one of them gave wrong info to the OP. It's almost like people just want to either get their post count up or see their nic in print.

Ok, end of rant! Sorry to the people giving correct info.

Someone needs to tell that to Carnival's online booking system. It would not allow me to book my 19yo in the same room with my 21yo even though my wife and I were booking at the same time on the same cruise. We had to book 19yo with one of us; so, on paper, my 19yo is in my cabin and my wife is in the same cabin with my 21yo. You could be absolutely correct, but it can't be booked that way on Carnival's website without direct intervention by a Carnival rep.

When we bring our kids we have 3 cabins. Each is its own booking number and is done separately. I could see how trying to book them online wouldn't be accepted. We usually use the web to find exactly what we want, put them on hold, and then call for the bookings.

We did this on our last cruise and had no trouble at all with daughters 17, 16 and 13. We had a balcony room and booked them in the interior room right across the hall. You could reach out and touch their door from ours.

Of course Carnival required us to book one adult in each room, but there was no problem switching that once onboard. We use the often hated on these boards long range radios and made each daughter carry one at all times. It worked very well. Best cruise yet.

Some of these answers are completely wrong! You DO NOT have to have an adult in the cabin or for one of them to be 21 or 25. This is only when they are cruising by themselves without a parent (or someone 25) on the ship. We have been booking our girls in their own cabin since they were 12,14,16. They are now 19,21,23. As long as their cabin is next to yours or across the corridor they will allow the girls to be in their own.

Interesting, I was absolutely told by my PVP that an adult must be booked in each room for my Pride cruise this past February and the online booking tool would certainly not allow it, that is how I ended up on the phone with a PVP. Not a big deal, it worked out fine for me, but funny that some have appeared to be able to book without an adult in the room. Carnival has never been very consistent though in their responses.

We have to book with one adult in each room but that's because our kids are both under 13. The age of the kids makes the difference.

Works out fine; especially since hubby drinks very little. I can get cheers alone and drink up!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We cruised last October with our 4 kids (15, 11, 10, 6 at the time) and they were all 4 booked in the cabin next door to us. They understood the rules we placed on them and followed them really well. I would book the second cabin for sure. Plus, they really loved the whole "we have a cabin without mom and dad" feeling.

We've cruised with 32 family members. 12 kids. Our daughter booked a separate room for her boys, across the hall from them. It worked out well. Most nights we'd find most of the kids sitting there together, snacking and watching a movie.mthe extra room works well for showers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are considering cruising with our kids for the first time. Looking ahead and this wont be until 2016 and they will be 12 and 19. I am just curious what other people do.....do you get them their own room? Do you feel comfortable with them being in their own room on the ship? Is it hard to get adjoining rooms?? Tell me your experiences :)

It should be relatively easy to get them in an adjoining room or one across the hall. Our last cruise with the kids we were in a balcony and they were across the hall in an inside.

I read you question, and though you were talking about a kid. Your 19 year old, is an adult, so the question is irrelevant for her. She can book a hotel, travel, and basically do anything she wants without your permission.......so if you want to pay for a separate room, I'm sure she would be happy.

I would never allow a 12 year old girl on her own. So my question to you, is your 19 year old going to babysit? While she is out until 2 - 3 am at night, in the night club, where will you little preteen be? Roaming around? With who?

So if you get adjoining rooms, or at least next door, than it's your decision, but anything else, I would say NO!

We've done 2 insides side by side, 1 balcony and 1 inside across the hall, and 2 balconies connecting since our kids were 13 and 16. Never had an issue with it. We only did the connecting since we also brought DD's BFF with her. If it was just our kids nonconnecting were fine. We had a key to their room and they had a key to ours. I would never go back to one room again for the 4 of us. The extra space and bathroom are too good to give up.

Me, my husband and our 2 daughters cruises with another couple and their 2 girls two years ago. Each couple had their oceanview cabin and we put all 4 girls (ages 7, 8, 11, 11) in a cabin across the hall. No adult was listed on their reservation. It was very simple.

This is what I told my husband!! haha He isnt as onboard with taking our kids on a cruise. He thinks of it as more of an adult trip as we always go with a group of couples. But I really want to go and experience this with our kids!

Having sailed with kids since age 10 until "grown" 22 ( with a child alone,with a friend along) I can say it is quite enjoyable, especially sharing mandatory MDR dinner together without cell phones ;). However, there are extra miles and stairs done as a parent "just checking" where they are. Often found at karaoke,dance club,pizza etc. so there are pluses and minus trying to keep track of them- not as relaxing with them sometimes, and require different shore excursions to entertain. Extra work yes, but would sail with son again in a heartbeat given chance again. A parent will always worry no matter age of their child. Especially since kids get "dumber" when with groups of friends.

Edited by Buffettfan 225
Typo

Son and DIL are cruising in 2 weeks. Another couple also going. To get better rate son and DIL are on separate bookings with each having 1 of the other couple on their separate booking #. What is best way to go about getting couples in rooms with spouses? Guest services after boarding? At check-in? Any other issues they need to address?

Also 2nd question. If both bookings under son's account willl they be at same table at dinner? If not can Carnival change if called or should the do on board?

When we took the kids, they were 9, 11, 12, 15. They shared the cabin next to us. We booked one adult in each to get the past guest rate since they hadn't cruised, didn't look into anything further but know it depends on age. They did great. They were not allowed to leave without one of the others unless they were going straight to camp carnival activities. We had an extra key made for our cabin for them to keep in their room and my husband and I each got one for theirs that we kept on our lanyards. We had post it notes and when they left they had to put what time it was, where they were going, who they were going with and when they would be back. If anything changed, they had to come leave a new note. It worked out great and we did it too so they would know where to find us as well. They were required to be back by 5 for dinner. Any problems and they would get grounded to their cabin. They knew they were not to go into the cabin areas with anyone or allow anyone back to theirs, even if they said they would wait outside. It worked out great, we all had a blast!

Kathy-Central Indiana

Mom to four (2girls-16&13), (2boys-13&11)

Carnival Liberty (Southern) 4/2015)

Carnival Conquest (11/13) Repositioning

Carnival Liberty (4/13) Eastern

Carnival Destiny (6/04) Southern