Food on Excursions

GalCruzer

When we go to Mexico, we will be doing one of the Excursions for the Mayan Ruins. In our travel party we will have a Type I Diabetic.

I'm wondering how can we get food from the ship to bring with us, so as to avoid any low blood sugars, since these excursions are 7 or so hours, with travel time itself being approximately 4 hours.

I know there is a mention of at least one stop and of course when we get to the destination, there may be times to buy some food. But there is no mention of any meals being served. Any ideas?

Thanks

We took a Coba ruins tour in March of this year, and as I recall at the beginning of the tour (as we boarded the bus for the drive to the ruins...after the ferry to the mainland) we were given a bottle of water and granola bars to snack on.

There was a snack area at the main entrance area of the ruins to buy food/drink.

Once we arrived back in town (before boarding the ferry back to Cozumel) we were taken to a 'cave' restaurant for a wonderful buffet lunch.

Not sure if that's the type of tour you are doing, but perhaps packing a few granola bars (sealed) would be allowed.

We always carry sandwich bags when we travel. Room service will make sandwiches or we will order bread, peanut butter or bacon and make our own.

We also get apples and oranges.

We have never had a problem carrying off sandwiches in our day pack.

We always carry sandwich bags when we travel. Room service will make sandwiches or we will order bread, peanut butter or bacon and make our own.

Whether or not you got caught or not is not the issue. It's ILLEGAL to bring food into the country. Especially bread, meat and fresh fruit.

We bring granola bars, raisins, almonds and individual packaged applesauce for emergencies. We've also taken individually wrapped cheese sticks which we've brought from home. Food from the ship is not allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always bring Cliff Bars, beef jerky and peanuts along with extra bottled water. I never rely on anybody else in a foreign country. I know that sounds terrible but it is true. Along with your snacks, take some toilet paper. I have found that the bathroom attendants are kinda stingy with the toilet paper. Yes some of the ruins, have bathroom attendants who dole out the toilet paper to you as you enter. And it is never enough.

Good luck

Whether or not you got caught or not is not the issue. It's ILLEGAL to bring food into the country. Especially bread, meat and fresh fruit.

DW and I had a good chuckle when debarking in Cozumel. A Carnival employee was telling everyone they could not take food or fruits off the boat. Cocaine Yes, banana's No.

:D

Since they check you getting on and off the ship, what about someone who wears a medical device? Such as an insulin pump...:confused:

You will not have a problem with a medical device in the Carribean- they are not going to question an insulin pump.

But that doesn't exempt you from the import laws on food. Just bring pre-packaged food.

Thanks to modern packaging, there is a wide variety of foods in our US grocery stores that travel well for meal emergencies and not just starchy foods. Just look down the canned food aisles in your home store.

Edited by gadaboutgal

You will not have a problem with a medical device in the Carribean- they are not going to question an insulin pump.

But that doesn't exempt you from the import laws on food. Just bring pre-packaged food.

Thank you for that...

That works in many ports but not Cozumel. They have dogs sniffing bags and people searching bags for food.

We travel with pre-packaged Ritz cheese crackers and peanut butter crackers. I mention the brand because I think they taste better than the others I have bought.

Edited by Jen1000