Help with flight upgrade decision

Dave4120

Thanks for the lounge update. Any thought on what seats to take and what row? Or, no advantage or disadvantage?

Some said instead of us taking the two business class seats in the middle with the divider that could be a problem for conversation together, we should consider one seat in the middle section and the other seat as the single window seat right next to the aisle seat.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the lounge update. Any thought on what seats to take and what row? Or, no advantage or disadvantage?

Some said instead of us taking the two business class seats in the middle with the divider that could be a problem for conversation together, we should consider one seat in the middle section and the other seat as the single window seat right next to the aisle seat.

Here's a photo for you to consider.

A330_BE_seats_1_hi_resolution.jpg

You can be the judge on the "divider" issue. You can see that the middle seats angle towards each other (unlike the 777 where they face apart), while seats across the aisle are facing away from each other. Also, aisle-across seats may not line up (though I can't really remember).

Personally, I'd be taking the middle two as a couple.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Any thoughts?

I have not looked at the configuration of your aircraft. Some have both front and rear facing seats in business. If you are on the side near the back of the business cabin and have a rear facing seat you will be disturbed by the lights and noise from the forward economy galley as we were on a recent UA flight. It was not a problem when we had center seats. Look at the seating chart carefully. We won't make this mistake again.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Forums mobile app

Basically it comes down to three choices for couples:

1) Twist around so that you can converse across the aisle (given that the seats are about 90 degree oriented away from each other, each party needs to make that same 90 degrees towards the aisle.)

2) Lean forward a bit to get around the "barrier" wedge in the middle. Almost a certainty it's an easier maneuver than the twist.

3) Don't worry about it -- you'll be so happy with your biz seat that you won't bother to talk much, and will just settle in for a good sleep after dinner.

Remember that you can get the quick dining option of all your dinner food at once if you want to maximize sleep. Just let the FA know and they will skip the course by course service. OTOH, if you want to maximize the biz experience, linger and enjoy the ice-cream at the end.

Finally, though biz rarely "sells out" of an entree choice, DL FAs often take dining selections by FEBO. Front Even Back Odd (flight number). Not always, but that's the company service standard. Best way to ensure is to take a row in the middle of the cabin (front/back). Second best is to follow FEBO, gambling that they follow "standards". Worst, IMO, is to go anti-FEBO.

Other item of note. You will have both a 110v power outlet and an powered USB outlet. You can use either/both to maintain power in your laptop, tablet, iPod or whatever. You can see them in the gray area in the photo.

Remember to take the Tumi amenity kit bag...nice for future use. I personally find them great for charger wires, camera accessories, jewelry, and other stash uses.

Edited by FlyerTalker

I have not looked at the configuration of your aircraft. Some have both front and rear facing seats in business. If you are on the side near the back of the business cabin and have a rear facing seat you will be disturbed by the lights and noise from the forward economy galley as we were on a recent UA flight. It was not a problem when we had center seats. Look at the seating chart carefully. We won't make this mistake again.
Not true.

Delta has no rear-facing seats in any of their aircraft, as long as you don't count FA jumpseats. ;)

I just a partial video of the Delta A330-300 (3L3) configuration and the center seats look real nice. Will probably book Row 4 or 5 once I get settled in later tonight, and, if any additional comments are posted by 10 or so tonight

If you will re-read my post you will see I was referring to a flight on UA. Not Delta.
That was quite clear.

So...why would you tell someone flying DL about your experience with UA seating? When it is both inappropriate and irrelevant and inaccurate (with regards to DL).

Apples vs Oranges. So I must assume it was you who hasn't read how the thread was about a DL flight.

Flying is unpleasant, no matter where you sit (unless you are on your own private jet). $1,600 to be slightly more comfortable in a miserable situation doesn't sound like money well spent.
Have you done much flying in a modern long-haul business class?

Some people may think that that sort of money is not well spent on upgrading to business class, and some people would certainly have good reasons for not doing so.

But I very much doubt that anyone with experience of both economy and business class travel would describe the latter as only "slightly more comfortable".

Have you done much flying in a modern long-haul business class?

Some people may think that that sort of money is not well spent on upgrading to business class, and some people would certainly have good reasons for not doing so.

But I very much doubt that anyone with experience of both economy and business class travel would describe the latter as only "slightly more comfortable".

Agreed.

Having flown over 2 million miles during my career, mostly San Francisco to Asia roundtrip, I can say with certainty that there is no comparison between coach and business class from a comfort standpoint.

For your trip, consider 16+ hours of comfort in business class versus 16+ hours of torture in coach and spending the savings on a couple of hours in a spa? Take the comfort...and the complimentary cocktails!

:D:D

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Flying is unpleasant, no matter where you sit (unless you are on your own private jet)

I'd say there are some flights I'd rather take on a commercial jet in F than private. Convenience certainly wins for private but in the comfort stakes you're probably better off in longhaul F on most commercial carriers unless you've got a bed equipped G550.

I guess I'm just cheap.

There are some flights I wouldn't even want to contemplate flying in business class, let alone the back (or economy plus in this case). Thinking of SQ's now-discontinued SIN-EWR or even SIN-LAX non-stop on the A340-500. Repositioning cruise ships would be a much-better deal ;)

Edited by cruising cockroach

There are some flights I wouldn't even want to contemplate flying in business class, let alone the back (or economy plus in this case). Thinking of SQ's now-discontinued SIN-EWR or even SIN-LAX non-stop on the A340-500. Repositioning cruise ships would be a much-better deal ;)

I really enjoy the longer longhaul flights. Enjoy a relaxed first meal and watch a film, sleep some more, then wake up and have some more food, watch the world go by, listen to some music or read a book. I find it all rather relaxing to be honest.

I've not done anything more than about 13hrs (although in one case I then did connect to another 5hr flight) in one hit but in the right seat I could last quite a bit longer.

Now if I was in anything less than business class it'd be different story....luckily the longer longhaul flights I've taken in the last 10yrs or so have all been in F.

Now if I was in anything less than business class it'd be different story....luckily the longer longhaul flights I've taken in the last 10yrs or so have all been in F.

International First is almost a different creature from international business. Lots more room to spread out and further away from your seatmate (if not totally isolated).

I start getting antsy after the 10 hour mark (in business) and can't imagine another 8 which is how long the EWR-SIN or v-v flights could take. Being inactive for this long starts to make me sore.

The only flights of this duration that are good for me are the westbound flights that leave late evening your body's local time so you eat a meal, sleep a lot, and wake up for a leisurely breakfast. YVR-HKG leaving at/near midnight is one such.

Pah! The trouble with the young people of today is that they have no stamina. There's nothing like flying London-Sydney-London, without stopovers, in economy, three times in a year.

Everything beyond that is sinply luxury.

Although I'm very glad to be able to choose the luxury of premium economy these days.

Hi Everyone...well, even though Mrs. Dave was against me upgrading from our Delta EC seat, and I did not make the purchase last night, I just decided to do it and here is why.

I AM IN SHOCK!!!!!

For those of you that have followed my posts, you will remember that to upgrade to Business/Elite class was $798.00 per person, roundtrip this past Monday.

Then on Tuesday, it went down even more to $697.50 per person. I thought that was very good, but did not make the purchase.

Then, all day today, it was still $697.50 per person. And, as of 6:45-PM tonight, still $697.50 per person.

Then for the heck of it, I checked again at 7:15 tonight and it went from $697.50 a person to $376.50 a person!!!!!!!!!!!

I THOUGHT I WAS SEEING things. So, I just purchased the upgrade and am still in shock. Mrs. Dave can't complain about this price.

So...this part of the journey is complete. What luck!!

A big thank-you to all of you that have provided me so much help.

Dave

Great deal! Astonishing frankly. I purchased my business class tickets for a trip back to the UK in a couple of months (BA, JFK-JER-JFK) and because business class was on sale it was only a couple of hundred dollars more than premium economy for the return trip.

Pah! The trouble with the young people of today is that they have no stamina. There's nothing like flying London-Sydney-London, without stopovers, in economy, three times in a year.

Everything beyond that is sinply luxury.

Although I'm very glad to be able to choose the luxury of premium economy these days.

I'm not youth anymore :D But I am a princess when it comes flying, have been for a long time and am happy to own it. :D

Edited by fbgd