Learned something that some may not know

Laid-back

I just booked a cruise with one of RCI "Cruise Planners". Although I have booked many Royal cruises both on line and with a TA this is the first time that I ever used a RCI Cruise Planner. I broke from my normal mode of operation because I had a specific question about the cruise and decided that while I was getting the answer to my question I would just go ahead and book the cruise. Possibly a mistake. I did not know nor did I ever give a thought that booking with a RCI Cruise Planner is exactly the same as booking with any TA, in that you lose control of your booking except through this Cruise Planner. May not be a big deal, but I, like many others, like to have control of my booking. So I have learned if you use a RCI Cruise Planner any changes you may wish to make requires going through them. Not too thrilled about that, but I will survive. Just thought I would pass that little tidbit along for any who might be interested in knowing and did not already know a possible downside to using a RCI Cruise Planner.

I just booked a cruise with one of RCI "Cruise Planners". Although I have booked many Royal cruises both on line and with a TA this is the first time that I ever used a RCI Cruise Planner. I broke from my normal mode of operation because I had a specific question about the cruise and decided that while I was getting the answer to my question I would just go ahead and book the cruise. Possibly a mistake. I did not know nor did I ever give a thought that booking with a RCI Cruise Planner is exactly the same as booking with any TA, in that you lose control of your booking except through this Cruise Planner. May not be a big deal, but I, like many others, like to have control of my booking. So I have learned if you use a RCI Cruise Planner any changes you may wish to make requires going through them. Not too thrilled about that, but I will survive. Just thought I would pass that little tidbit along for any who might be interested in knowing and did not already know a possible downside to using a RCI Cruise Planner.

You do lose some website functions when you book with an RCI Cruise Planner, but you can still make payments on your cruise using the website. You would not have that ability with a TA booking.

You do lose some website functions when you book with an RCI Cruise Planner, but you can still make payments on your cruise using the website. You would not have that ability with a TA booking.

That is true but can not change rooms or cancel on line. Not a big deal, just did not know that. I guess I thought that RCI was RCI.

That is true but can not change rooms or cancel on line. Not a big deal, just did not know that. I guess I thought that RCI was RCI.

I don't know the logic (logic and RCI???, what am I thinking:rolleyes:), but they make a distinction between booking on the website and booking via the phone.

You don't have to speak to that exact person.. if you have a change or question any of them can assist. Very easy!

I actually did not know this (first time with RCI and finding the website very frustrating!) I did eventually book on the phone. Would this be why I am unable to book entertainment or anything else on line, or does it mean I need to call to do such bookings? Or does one book entertainment after boarding? Thx.

I actually did not know this (first time with RCI and finding the website very frustrating!) I did eventually book on the phone. Would this be why I am unable to book entertainment or anything else on line, or does it mean I need to call to do such bookings? Or does one book entertainment after boarding? Thx.

You should be able to book any dining, shows, excursions, etc even if you booked on the phone. The shows depends on which ship. For Freedom I could only book the ice show but on Oasis could book most everything.

How far away is your sailing? Maybe they're not open for pre-booking yet?

I learned this last year. Not only could I not make changes I couldn't make payments online at all. I went through every level of support at RCI and kept getting told they were aware of the issue and were working on it. Never fixed it and I had to phone to make every payment.

In my case the error would indicate that the country in my payment details didn't match the country on the reservation. It did, it always did but no way they could fix it.

Never again will I book with RCI in advance. The price of my cruise still over a month away is now $1100 cheaper than when I booked. The RCI agent told me on the phone last year that if the price went down I could get the better price. At no point did she indicate that this promise dies after the last payment date.

A year before I had none of these issues when I did my entire booking online.

I don't know the logic (logic and RCI???, what am I thinking:rolleyes:), but they make a distinction between booking on the website and booking via the phone.

I put a hold on the website and then called to book so i could use a NCC/FCC and I still have full website access.

I think an RCI cruise planner may just be an in house travel agent that earns commission from your booking? Carnival have similar called a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) but you can still book a Carnival cruise by phone without using a PVP, maybe its similar with RCI?

I put a hold on the website and then called to book so i could use a NCC/FCC and I still have full website access...

That's what I've done in the past. Put a hold on a stateroom type, then call to change staterooms and maye deposit. As long as the initial booking (including a hold) was made on the website, you retain full website access. I usually transfer to a TA wihin 60 days, so I eventually lose that full access.

That's what I've done in the past. Put a hold on a stateroom type, then call to change staterooms and maye deposit. As long as the initial booking (including a hold) was made on the website, you retain full website access. I usually transfer to a TA wihin 60 days, so I eventually lose that full access.

Thanks:) good info for future cruises for me as we get phone connected overseas and the time difference would make it awkward to have to contact a cruise planner all the time.

I'm afraid I don't understand all this. I call the main number and talk to whoever I get, if I can't get a hold of my vacation planner at RCCL. They always help me with price reductions and anything else I want to ask about. I've also called C&A or the 24hr #. They are always willing to help. I guess I am confused about the OP's statement.

Gwen :)

We used 2 future bookings currently to book a B2B. I didn't realized I would have to call to make payments and have zero visibility to my payment information as I hadn't booked on-line. To watch for cruise price drops I've got to get out the Guest Invoice Confirmation to compare to current pricing. I hope they get the RCCL website fixed one of these days.

Edited by julesbeara

I'm afraid I don't understand all this. I call the main number and talk to whoever I get, if I can't get a hold of my vacation planner at RCCL. They always help me with price reductions and anything else I want to ask about. I've also called C&A or the 24hr #. They are always willing to help. I guess I am confused about the OP's statement.

The OP is saying they lose some website functionality when booking by phone. They can no longer cancel the cruise or change staterooms using the website when they book by phone.

The OP is saying they lose some website functionality when booking by phone. They can no longer cancel the cruise or change staterooms using the website when they book by phone.

Oh, OK.....I always call for that. But, I do make reservations for excursions on line without a problem. Thanks, Bob.

how long ago was this change. i booked by phone on March 1st 2014. i was able to make all reservations and payment online. i made the final payment mid july. even as of a week ago it would allow me to book excursions online. :confused:

I learned this last year. Not only could I not make changes I couldn't make payments online at all. I went through every level of support at RCI and kept getting told they were aware of the issue and were working on it. Never fixed it and I had to phone to make every payment.

In my case the error would indicate that the country in my payment details didn't match the country on the reservation. It did, it always did but no way they could fix it.

Never again will I book with RCI in advance. The price of my cruise still over a month away is now $1100 cheaper than when I booked. The RCI agent told me on the phone last year that if the price went down I could get the better price. At no point did she indicate that this promise dies after the last payment date.

A year before I had none of these issues when I did my entire booking online.

After final payment you cannot take advantage of price drops but you may be able to upgrade.

The RCI agent told me on the phone last year that if the price went down I could get the better price. At no point did she indicate that this promise dies after the last payment date.

After final payment you cannot take advantage of price drops but you may be able to upgrade.

Yes I know that now but this was not what I was told at booking. I pretty sure I even specifically asked about this at the time of booking and was told there was no expiry of this ability to seek a better price if it became available.

As far as upgrades go, the next thing up from what I have is a JS which would be another $2K for each stateroom out of pocket. No thanks.

At any rate, didn't mean to thread hijack. The point here is reservations made on the phone are not workable online like reservations made online and for that reason alone I wouldn't bother with it again. The hassle of having to phone to make payments, having to reverify ever piece of information on two reservations and then to try and get upsold on half a dozen things is not worth the minimal savings I got (actually I haven't got anything yet as the price was the same and any other promises that were made are not documented in anything I have so I don't expect to see any of those freebies.).

Not trying to be confusing. Main difference is that when booking directly on line you can do anything you want with the booking. When you book via a RCI Cruise Planner you can only do certain things on line without going through some Cruise Planner (may not be the one you signed up with, but it still takes a phone call). As I said not a gigantic deal but since I like to do things myself I just did not know that doing something over the phone negated some of the wonders of the RCI website. :):):):)

I have booked all my RCI cruises with the same RCI vacation planner and I have no problem cancelling the cruise on line, making payments and changing cabins. I currently have a cruise booked through the vacation planner for march 2015 and I just checked my reservation and it gives me the option to cancel the cruise as well as change cabins and all the other options as if I had done the reservation on line.

I have booked all my RCI cruises with the same RCI vacation planner and I have no problem cancelling the cruise on line, making payments and changing cabins. I currently have a cruise booked through the vacation planner for march 2015 and I just checked my reservation and it gives me the option to cancel the cruise as well as change cabins and all the other options as if I had done the reservation on line.

Interesting. Just trying to understand - you created the bookings by phoning Royal?

Interesting. Just trying to understand - you created the bookings by phoning Royal?

or did they make the reservations with http://www.royalcarribean dot com, which is a travel agent whose website looks like Royals.

Note the 2 r's and 1 b, not the 2 b's and 1 r like RCCL

Edited by uksimonusa