Crews Stairway

Merlinite

You can not enter any crew area, even stairways, unless there is a real emergency that has been announced by the bridge. The stairway you mention may be open during the muster drill. More likely during the muster you will directed to the aft passenger stairs.

Drat - we were hoping to use the crew stairs for our mid-ship Royal cabin. Will just have to hike fore or aft to use those public stairs instead. Ah well, good workout - and now I won't feel guilty about having just one more of the delicous crunchy hard rolls with dinner. :D

Restricted area unless it's an emergency. Not a good idea to enter a restricted area.

Of course I wouldn't enter a restricted area, Pam. :rolleyes: are these doors labeled as such, Pam?

I used the same thing on the Island transiting the canal, but it was on transit day, so may not count.

Drat - we were hoping to use the crew stairs for our mid-ship Royal cabin. Will just have to hike fore or aft to use those public stairs instead. Ah well, good workout - and now I won't feel guilty about having just one more of the delicous crunchy hard rolls with dinner. :D
I just got home after 17 days on the Royal and lost two pounds because I deliberately hiked the length of the hallways. :)

Of course I wouldn't enter a restricted area, Pam. :rolleyes: are these doors labeled as such, Pam?
They usually say, "Crew Only." Plus, it's obviously not a "finished" door that passengers would use.

It appears there is a stairwell next to our aft cabin, C753. Terrace pool is 2 decks up. Will I get yelled at if I use them?

Depends. If you trip and fall on that metal staircase and no one finds you for a while are you going to sue?

We had that cabin one cruise and the room steward told us the door would be open during muster, please feel free to it. We did and no problem - the door was open the entire time.

that's what i thought, thanks. how did you like the cabin?

The culture of crew members is one of extreme service and they will not tell a guest no. I have a friend that has worked as a crew member for over 10 years and we have spoken about their roll while on contract. It is very easy for them to get in trouble if a passenger complains about them. We have been on a cruise where a crew member was fired because a guest complained. I would never do anything to put the job of the crew in jeopardy.

If you're a "crew" member, then yes. If you're a pax - then - the answer, obviously, is no.

Even if this is not "illegal" you should consider that the crew is provided those stairs to perform their jobs away from the passengers. Any crew on those stairs is not expecting to find passengers and, as such, are concentrating on their job, not watching out for pax being in the way. They may be carrying things or rushing to take care of an urgent matter. If you are casually strolling in their space, you may interfere with what they are doing. Worse yet, if you were to collide with a crew member and be injured, guess who would likely get in the most trouble--probably the poor crew member.

It appears there is a stairwell next to our aft cabin, C753. Terrace pool is 2 decks up. Will I get yelled at if I use them?

Depends. If you trip and fall on that metal staircase and no one finds you for a while are you going to sue?

We too had that cabin and was told it should be okay to use by our steward - my wife of course said no, but, well you can guess, I did and tripped. Those stairs are not the comfy ones you find elsewhere, they are steel. Sprained my ankle and went to the infirmary for help. Then got a visit from security and a big "I told you so" from my wife.

We had C752 on Grand Princess. We loved the cabin. We only used the crew stairs for muster drill. It never even occurred to us to try using those stairs at other times. They are obviously crew stairs and not meant to be used by passengers.

It's not all that difficult to take another route...