Over Indulgence

jazzmanfive

Okay here is the thing, you have a drink package and food is constantly been put in front of you, you are on vacation and willpower is at its lowest, if you are like me and tend to eat a bit more plus have the odd 2,3,4 more drinks than you normally would each day sooner or later your body reacts and more or less says slow down or I will bite back!

Anybody out there suggest any remedy, cures or old wives recipes to fight the body on this,

I do try to drink plenty of water but inevitably this does end up with a scotch in it so I am looking for other answers, any suggestions would be welcomed as the wife is willing to try them out first for my benefit.

Many Thanks

Jazz:D

Easy.

It's called 'willpower'

But a lot of it is recognizing that it is horrifying to come home up many pounds (like 7 in 7 days). And knowing that if you eat/drink too much you usually wind up sleeping poorly, feeling bloated and tired, and you miss half of the fun stuff in the cruise.

I'll sometimes have one more than I should before dinner, but I don't drink during the day because it makes me sleepy, and I don't drink late at night because it wakes me up at 3 am. I guess it's a case of live and learn and figure out your priorities.

One drink per day is my limit.

If there is something I want to eat, I'll eat BUT only if I'm hungry and only as much as I need to stop feeling hungry. No stuffing yourself, you don't need to clean your plate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As far as drinks....I can consume multiple drinks for multiple days and it doesn't bother me. The key is PRACTICE! If you're not used to drinking, get used to it!

This has always been my motto!!! :D

But seriously, not just cruising, but in vacationing period, we have always been of the opinion you just live like you would at home. If you want to try something, try it. Don't think you have to eat EVERYTHING to recoup your spend, or drink enough to balance the package price. I do that math at home. Once on the trip just do what you feel good doing, what you want, and have fun.

I try not to eat the whole portion of any one thing and am not much of an drinker. One a day if that. Vigorous walking on the jogging track and around the upper decks in morning and after dinner helps too. The walk after dinner definitely helps with digestion and that bloated feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH and usually eat very healthy for breakfast and lunch, so we can eat and drink what ever we want (within reason) for dinner. We also take the stairs instead of the elevators, and try to walk at least 2 - 3 miles on the walking track or in the gym on days that we aren't taking excursions.

Okay here is the thing, you have a drink package and food is constantly been put in front of you, you are on vacation and willpower is at its lowest, if you are like me and tend to eat a bit more plus have the odd 2,3,4 more drinks than you normally would each day sooner or later your body reacts and more or less says slow down or I will bite back!

Anybody out there suggest any remedy, cures or old wives recipes to fight the body on this,

I do try to drink plenty of water but inevitably this does end up with a scotch in it so I am looking for other answers, any suggestions would be welcomed as the wife is willing to try them out first for my benefit.

Many Thanks

Jazz:D

Jazz,

I see your problem. As one scotch drinker to another, you should be drinking your scotch neat.:)

Hope this helps.

Craig

We take the stairs as often as possible. Try to book a room closer to dining room, lido deck, and promenade. I would avoid three very large meals and try to (if you are so inclined) to make that just a one meal thing. At the very least, enjoy your time

Happy sailing

I have been in 5 cruises. Just finished my last cruise with an unlimited drink package, and I may do it again on my next. I go on cruises to indulge so my motto is that you must hit fitness center 1-2 times a day if you want to indulge and mitigate weight gain. Do 30min on bike or treadmill (on incline). Don't go crazy but make sure you break a sweat. Bring a book or two or some magazines for the workouts. You'll feel great and won't feel guilty getting desert.

As for drinking; the package can encourage you to drink more, but I certainly don't want to miss out on trying different drinks or getting another later in evening if I'm so inclined. Towards end of day switch to the least sugary drinks (or clearest like vodkas). The sugar is the culprit.

The working out will make you feel great and the lessening of sugary drinks (and more water) will help with sleep and hangover.

But in the end, indulge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will Power :D

Learn to limit yourself is the best method, IMO

My first few cruises I over-indulged and then I told myself to stop it. We cruised

very often and if I kept at an over-indulgent pace, nothing good would come from it.

[/b]

After eating the rich food on cruises, I'd get the sickest stomach 2-3 hours later that just ruined my evenings. I've since discovered Famotidine at Sam's Club (their brand of antacid). A tiny little white pill 30 minutes before dinner (or even when you get a sick stomach) solved the problem.

Okay, thanks for all the replies.

I do not think I will be following the 'only have one drink a day advice' after paying nearly 900 bucks for a two week cruise.

Exercise is also not a requirement I walk 10-15 miles a day with my work and weigh under 160 lbs plus have played sport all my life (now 58)

I am english so I do not need any practice drinking, we go straight on to beer from breastfeeding :)

I like the idea of ditching the water from the scotch but I do not think it will help the problem ( but I like your thinking).

If I have to choose between eating or drinking then it is no contest I would drink.

So to surmise, what I really want to do is drink lunchtime, evening and late evening (several) eat when I am hungry (but not to the detriment of the libation). I class myself as a seasoned drinker, I do not get drunk or fall over (pace is everything) but I have never tried to 'indulge' for a straight 14 nights.No, I do not have to but as an englishman I see it as a challenge.

I tried it on an 11 night Infinity cruise on the premium drink package with good results until the weather scuppered me with 2 days to go.(bay of biscay) choppy and windy. (I am no popeye)

So my answer will probably be small steady sessions (probably belgium or english bitter to start) during the sea days with the odd english breakfast and burger/steak thrown in for protein, cocktail hour will just be more beer or if the wife insists we meet up with the other elites then it will be bourbon as the beer at these bars is normally larger which I find too gassy.Then it will be dinner, no starters just a main no desert or maybe just the buffet (pretty much the same food as the mdr without the wait).Then for the nights festivities hopefully some decent music to enjoy the odd beer,bourbon, whisky based cocktail? etc.

And so on:-

Thanks guys

Jazz :cool:

After eating the rich food on cruises, I'd get the sickest stomach 2-3 hours later that just ruined my evenings. I've since discovered Famotidine at Sam's Club (their brand of antacid). A tiny little white pill 30 minutes before dinner (or even when you get a sick stomach) solved the problem.

A little white pill, hmm sounds promising ;)