Another Beverage package question

designmom

I am not sure if this has been asked as I could not find an answer in my search. Is there any benefit to pre purchasing the beverage package before departure or can it be bought onboard for the same pricing? I am thinking of waiting until onboard as we have some OBC that could go towards it.

Thanks

As regulars here know, I'm not one to buy the package. But from everything I've seen, there's no price advantage to buying early as opposed to waiting. The price is the price.

Besides, that, you have a day or two (or even three) once on board to decide if you really want the package. If you do, you've saved a couple days of the fee. If you don't, you haven't spent money unnecessarily.

Mura

As I understand it, if you buy in advance, you pay in advance and can't use your OBC. As said previously, the price is the same in advance or on board. But once on the ship, it goes on your account so you can use your OBC. That's why I'm waiting.

Also if you embark late and won't drink that much the first night, waiting until the first morning saves the $60 for the first day.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If you are Silver or above you can save 10% on pre purchasing the package but you cannot use your OBC when you pre purchase it

You have to weigh the options

Good point.

Oddly enough the internet packages give you the discount when you buy on board though.

Also a good point Steve makes about the first day being a bit short. Another thing to consider is that the 2nd night for us on our last few cruises has been the Captain's Welcome party and for 3 hours or so it's free drinks in 3 bars(on the O ships). This isn't the usual 3 or 4 drinks on a tray, it's pretty much whatever you want. I generally have been able to get good single malts on the Captain's night. So waiting till the 3rd day also is an option.

I think there were instances of price increases from the time a cruise was booked to the time of boarding, so you might think about that as a risk as well. In other words, locking in the price in case it goes up nearer to the start of the cruise (this is sometimes the case for excursions as well).

There certainly isn't a discount to buying early, if that's what you're really asking about.