River Routes & Channel Crossings

PVPatti

Has anyone taken the Montreal to London River Routes and Channel Crossing cruise? It sails through Quebec, cruises the St Lawrence River, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and then

crosses the Atlantic to Ireland, Wales and Guernsey and ends in London. My husband and I are thinking about booking reservations. Two questions: is it better to do this in May or wait until the Fall. And, if you took it did you enjoy it? Thank you- any comments will be appreciated.

I believe this is a new itinerary for Oceania other crossings have left from NYC

Come join the roll call

It is indeed a unique itnerary. We are excited to be on it and besides it gives us a reason to do a fall cruise later so we can compare the scenery.;)

Has anyone taken the Montreal to London River Routes and Channel Crossing cruise? It sails through Quebec, cruises the St Lawrence River, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and then

crosses the Atlantic to Ireland, Wales and Guernsey and ends in London. My husband and I are thinking about booking reservations. Two questions: is it better to do this in May or wait until the Fall. And, if you took it did you enjoy it? Thank you- any comments will be appreciated.

I can only find this itinerary for May and July....did not see one in the fall:confused:

I can only find this itinerary for May and July....did not see one in the fall:confused:

I think they do Montreal to NYC or Miami in Sept & Oct but not the crossing

Check the Regatta in 2015

I think they do Montreal to NYC or Miami in Sept & Oct but not the crossing

Check the Regatta in 2015

Yes, LHT28, you are correct. The Atlantic crossing is only on the Spring cruise; and, the Fall cruise includes Canada and the New England states. Sorry for the confusion.

Friends just did a mid Sept. Montreal to New York Color cruise and told me the weather was quite chilly and in the 50's. We are Southern California residents and temps. in the mid 50's might be a jolt

to our systems!

Friends just did a mid Sept. Montreal to New York Color cruise and told me the weather was quite chilly and in the 50's. We are Southern California residents and temps. in the mid 50's might be a jolt

to our systems!

It may be chilly in May as well depends on where your comfort level is for cool temps ;)

Lyn

It may be chilly in May as well depends on where your comfort level is for cool temps ;)

Lyn

True, we recently disembarked from a cruise in Southampton UK. We were wearing T-shirts etc, when we met someone in the lift wrapped up with scarves and jackets! Who told us that we would be "awfully cold"

It was 60 degrees (F)! Lovely temperature for us after a week baking in the sun.

to our systems!

Too bad they weren't doing it last week. Up until yesterday, for a week, most of their ports would have been having 80+ and lots of sunshine. Now,we are 60 and dreary. You never know what it will be with any certainty.

We did the NYC-Dover crossing this May/June and loved the itinerary. We also had much better weather than the prior year's cruise had. Just the luck of the draw. I bought a jacket in Bar Harbor and never had to use it.

The two itineraries have some similarities, but once past Nova Scotia I think they are quite different.

Yes, Oceania calls Southampton "London", but they do the same for Dover. Le Havre is "Paris". That isn't unusual. You often need to be aware that just because the itinerary says London or Paris (just two examples), the port isn't very close.

Mura

Yes, Oceania calls Southampton "London", but they do the same for Dover. Le Havre is "Paris". That isn't unusual. You often need to be aware that just because the itinerary says London or Paris (just two examples), the port isn't very close.

Mura

As do other lines, of course.

From a UK perspective, this has always seemed very odd. Southampton is far enough from London to have its own existence and indeed its own hinterland - it's definitely not a dormitory of London. London used to have its own passenger liner port at Tilbury, which although 25 miles downstream was administered by the Port of London Authority, and was at least located in the Thames. I think Tilbury is still in operation as a passenger port, but I don't think it can handle very large ships and I also don't think the environment is at all attractive - it's very much a commercial goods port. The principal ports for the UK are Southampton, Dover and Felixstowe. Southampton majors on the "3 Cs": cars, cruises, and containers; Dover is predominantly a ferry port; while Felixstowe is the UK's largest container port.

We tend to see places like these as serving the UK, not specifically London.

As do other lines, of course.

From a UK perspective, this has always seemed very odd. Southampton is far enough from London to have its own existence and indeed its own hinterland - it's definitely not a dormitory of London.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that only Oceania does this "labelling" of ports. But other major cities listed as being the final destination can be even farther away than London is to Southampton (or Dover for that matter). I'm thinking particularly of Paris and Berlin but I know there must be others equally distant.

Mura

I think the reason the cruise lines list some ports like that

EG: London ( Southampton or Dover)

Paris (Le Havre)

Rome ( Civitavecchia )

They list it by the International airport location because the port you cannot get flights from N.A. to those port cities

People would go crazy trying to find flights to Dover from the USA :D

Just my theory but I could be totally wrong

Lyn