Maya Key questions

ABQrobin

My husband and I are trying to decide if we should do this. We have a couple of questions...

we do want to snorkel, we will bring our own gear

we do want local food, not burgers etc

we do NOT sit on beach in sun

we are both photographers so thinking the island might be good for at least an hour walking around shooting photos, video, etc.

So is there enough for us to do for 5 hours?

Can you go back to cruise ship early?

Are we going to be bored? Is there enough to do?

snorkeling: FANTASTIC

picture taking: there are VERY nice gardens and landscaping, plus the faux ruins, plus the animals from the rescue... plus beach stuff... I'd think there would plenty of "subjects" for photography.

food: there isn't any option other than the included buffet, but it was really very good for that kind of thing. The sea bass in particular was excellent. There was also beans and rice, BBQ chicken, fried plantain chips, and salad I recall. Iced tea, water, lemonade for free, bar for purchase. I didn't go to any, but it looked like there were also places to each by where you get the boat over to Maya Key (this was Coxen Hole) if you wanted to come back a little early and grab a local bite instead of the buffet.

beach: plenty of chairs and options for shade- we didn't sit down much but the opportunity was there.

also, the bathrooms are amazingly clean for this sort of thing... large and nice.

We visited Maya Key in January and loved it! The snorkeling was great. We rode the first boat over to the island and took the last boat back. I really wanted to stay longer, as there were so many things I wanted to do and see there, that I didn't get a chance to relax. As for photo ops, the island is full of them.

I wrote a detailed picture review in the following link starting with post #47:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976718&page=3

P1060102_zpscdb4cb5b.jpg

The snorkeling there is amazing and make sure you head all the way down the trail to the big blue drop off. :eek: Beautiful.

The island definitely has a lot of photography opportunities. There shouldn't be a problem with that.

You said you didn't sit on the beach in the sun, but if you want to sit and just relax for awhile, most of the chairs are actually in the shade, which makes it nice. :)

Don't forget to go over to the side where you first got off the boat and take pictures of the animals over there.

I have a complete review from our day there listed in my signature line. It will show you most of what is there and I sure found enough to take hundreds of pictures of. hehe

Edited by mitsugirly

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...