European Style Cruising

FireEater

What does that actually mean?

Am trying my first MSC cruise and keep reading about it being more "European style" vs "American style".

Some of the food, talent, music in many lounges, all live and wonderful,

conservative staff - not intrusive pushing drinks, lovely décor, Balinese spa.

Many non Americans sail on the Divina in America.

Great experience and a change of pace from the American Lines.

Although I haven't sailed yet....

From what I read....I'd say it's a more cosmopolitan crowd.

People in other countries...unlike the US....travel a few miles and have a different language, cuisine and customs. They are used to adjusting.

Americans aren't and expect everything to be "just like at home" from language to lasagna.

Although I haven't sailed yet....

From what I read....I'd say it's a more cosmopolitan crowd.

People in other countries...unlike the US....travel a few miles and have a different language, cuisine and customs. They are used to adjusting.

Americans aren't and expect everything to be "just like at home" from language to lasagna.

That will not be me. I have traveled 4 continents and met many of people from other countries. I go with the flow and adjust and learn as I go..

I just did not know the term cruising European Style. When I was living in Spain and Italy in the early 80's, I remember the shop keepers closing their doors around 2ish for a 3-4 hour siesta then reopening. Was not sure if the crew does the same.....;)

Edited by FireEater

I believe you have in Florida a place called Vision Cruise who are on a TV channel, it may be worth watching because they may well be pushing Divina and will hopefully have some decent information.

Am trying my first MSC cruise and keep reading about it being more "European style" vs "American style".

European style of sea travel by definition means a high quality product and best traditions.

Never ever should it be confused with a mix of passengers on board a cruise ship, or style of life on land in European countries.

The concept of the ship design and service define the "style".

Examples of European style sea travel?

Please note that the question is about Europen style of sea travel (not European fasion, not European electric plugs and sockets, etc.).

So my answer is about sea travel as well.

Best ships, best traditions at sea originate from Europe: think of the golden era of ocean liners.

I have posted a menu from RMS Queen Mary (1936) in my MSC Divina review to compare with the elite restaurant on the Divina and regular buffet on the Eurodam (Page 15 > Post #296, 299).

That wasn't only for fun.

That was something very serious to think about if we want to know what is what in cruising industry.

Long story short: the closer the ship is to classic ocean liner by design and content the more European it is.

Generally speaking, the most European style sea travel is provided by Cunard, Holland America and Princess.

More "DeEuropeanaized" (in different ways) are Royal Caribbean, Carnival (not too much actually!) and NCL.

I would place Celebrity in a position between these two groups.

MSC Divina product is still to grow to reach European level of sea travel.

Mediocre food and lack of amenities have never been idications of European (i.e. classy) style sea travel.

At the moment it's a "low cost style" (neither European, nor Italian).

It can be a successful business though. Why not?

Market demands different products - from luxury to low cost.

A low cost airline will take us to our next vacation - and that was our choice!

Princess Master Chef Mr. Alfredo Marzi has titles of Master Chef Commendatore and Culinary Ambassador to the World (a title given by the President of Italy).

Photo: Mr. Marzi is cooking Scallops Mediterranean Style on board Princess cruise ship.

2djf2a.jpg

1) Sophisticated queuing techniques (no lines required)

2) Subtle signalling to waiter staff (no words required)

3) Exotic menu descriptions (poor translations)

4) Latino 'atmosphere' (chaos)

5) 2nd World War spirit (some don't know it's over)

6) Italian theme (more so than Italy)

7) Smartly dressed (they chose not to buy houses instead)

8) Relaxed (no rules obeyed)

9) Musical (because there are too many languages for words)

10) Egalitarian (all the cabins are small)

Thanks.

BTW Cruisetrail, after reading your extensive report on the Divina, I changed my mind on going with a handicap midship balcony cabin due to lousy views looking down (at life boats) and looking forward and aft at the exterior walls, so I picked a handicap forward facing (deck 16) suite in the Yacht Club..... Thanks.. :D

Edited by FireEater

That will not be me. I have traveled 4 continents and met many of people from other countries. I go with the flow and adjust and learn as I go..

I just did not know the term cruising European Style. When I was living in Spain and Italy in the early 80's, I remember the shop keepers closing their doors around 2ish for a 3-4 hour siesta then reopening. Was not sure if the crew does the same.....;)

Since you've lived in both Spain and Italy, then you know first hand the differences in the way of life there than at home.

Divina has been changed a bit to suit the US market so will have a bit less of a European slant than the rest of the fleet operating elsewhere. Meal times are earlier for example and they have American foods on the menu.

There are still more non English speaking passengers onboard than on your typical US line sailing out of the US. That in itself makes the onbORd ambience different.

Dinner is a leisurely affair and the focal point of the evening. Up to 6 courses, leisurely service, filled with conversation lasting 2 or more hours is not unusual. You can be in and out quicker if you want hough. There isn't this eat fast idea though.

Since you've lived in both Spain and Italy, then you know first hand the differences in the way of life there than at home.

Divina has been changed a bit to suit the US market so will have a bit less of a European slant than the rest of the fleet operating elsewhere. Meal times are earlier for example and they have American foods on the menu.

There are still more non English speaking passengers onboard than on your typical US line sailing out of the US. That in itself makes the onbORd ambience different.

Dinner is a leisurely affair and the focal point of the evening. Up to 6 courses, leisurely service, filled with conversation lasting 2 or more hours is not unusual. You can be in and out quicker if you want hough. There isn't this eat fast idea though.

Agree with you Amo except English speaking, the cruises out of Miami seem largely Spanish speaking (Divina excluded)for several reasons, a large Spanish speaking community in Miami, the Miami airport which is very convenient to fliers from the Caribbean, Latin America, and South America, and finally price!

Miami cruises are less expensive, then the other Florida Ports, and thus make them more attractive to foreign families already burdeened with the cost of flying!

What we noticed was when foreigners didn't speak English on the Miami cruises we took, they spoke European languages on Divina, and spoke Spanish on the other cruise lines!

Didn't much matter, we didn't understand them either way, but still enjoyed their company!:D

I cruised MSC 4 times and still cannot answer this question or find big difference ))I came up with some points

1. MSC does not give free tap water (in Europe)

2.More fun onboard and more music (not CCL fun)

3. no 2 lb of sugar in each pastry )

4. No waiter asking you 10 times in 10 minutes for drink

Really for me cruise ship is a cruise ship –just a place for another vacation I never had a perfect one and I don’t care if ship has promenade deck or urinals in men washroom . People who cruise a lot know that even you have back to back cruise on same ship you can have different experience .Just go and have fun . :p

Agree with you Amo except English speaking, the cruises out of Miami seem largely Spanish speaking (Divina excluded)for several reasons, a large Spanish speaking community in Miami, the Miami airport which is very convenient to fliers from the Caribbean, Latin America, and South America, and finally price!

Miami cruises are less expensive, then the other Florida Ports, and thus make them more attractive to foreign families already burdeened with the cost of flying!

What we noticed was when foreigners didn't speak English on the Miami cruises we took, they spoke European languages on Divina, and spoke Spanish on the other cruise lines!

Didn't much matter, we didn't understand them either way, but still enjoyed their company!:D

Aah, forgotten there were so many Spanish speakers in that region.

Still more English speaking pax on the Divina than on other MSC cruises though. On one med one I was on, there were only 10 of us out of around 2000 and I never encountered those other 9 once during the cruise!

Thanks all.

No matter what it is, I am one to adapt and over come.

I am sure to enjoy myself no matter the ambiance. Hey it is a civilian cruise line not a Navy ship.....So maybe they have the water a tad too hot in the hot tub. Beats a fire hose wash down any day!!!! :D

The only differences that really seem "different" is not water in the MDR (except for Divina)....and later dinners.

However, isn't lunch the main meal in Europe? And, dinner is a later and lighter meal? At least....this is how it used to be.

As far as the length of the meal...people on CCL and NCL always complain that it takes too long.

Other differences (hairy chest contests, entertainment) is more of a "sophistication" thing.

Due to being very international line MSC provides main theater entertainment that everybody can understand. Every day they have production show with singers, dancers, gymnasts. The best set of shows we ever saw.

A cruise line based in Europe has different customs, then American customs.

For example in Europe tap water is not provided. Europeans pay for bottled or still water. As Americans we love ice, in Europe ice is used sparingly. Personal space is different. Aggressive selling is toned down. The pace of doing business is slower. Coffee is not offered after dinner. When the Divina first came over there were no wash clothes, not used in Europe. Ginger ale is not common. Wine is free following. Food is not full of preservatives therefore tastes different.

I do not understand how Holland America is European?.

Was RMS Titanic European?

The Titanic belonged to IMM (J.P. Morgan).

The topic is about the style of sea travel, not about headquarters location.

European style is a synonym of class and best traditions of sea travel established by the Grands of the seas like Cunard Line, White Star Line, Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, HAL, HAPAG, NDL, Italian Line and implemented in ships design and service.

Nowadays the closest to European traditions and quality of sea travel product is provided by Cunard, HAL and Princess.

Was RMS Titanic European?

The Titanic belonged to IMM (J.P. Morgan).

The topic is about the style of sea travel, not about headquarters location.

European style is a synonym of class and best traditions of sea travel established by the Grands of the seas like Cunard Line, White Star Line, Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, HAL, HAPAG, NDL, Italian Line and implemented in ships design and service.

Nowadays the closest to European traditions and quality of sea travel product is provided by Cunard, HAL and Princess.

I am having trouble understanding how an American Cruise Line can have a European Style without being phony? What is the MSC if not European ? African? Asian?

I think the original poster asked how the Divina is different from other cruise lines. Not holding on the historical maritime traditions that were based in Europe centuries ago.

Being a European cruise line,it does business in Europe hence European Style type cruising.

Differences to me and very noticeable. The focus of trying to extract every dollar by announcements, pushing drinks, etc.

The food is not over processed as in American Cruise ships.

I also do not know what the Titanic has to do with current cruising or MSC which has a great safety record.

PS. My one cruise on Princess was a disaster, Noro, fire, missed ports, and horrible service and no service recovery.

I think the best way for of describing Cunard is the American idea of a Bristish cruise line - a sort of British theme park at sea for Americans. I had no idea at the time that Cunard was even trying to be British or in any way European. The language, food, menus, service style, everything, the whole experience to me was distinctly U.S..

The way I have described my experience of Cunard since is that "they don't even know how to fry an egg". To avoid a fried egg coming partly raw on the plate - a truly revolting sight and enough to put me off my breakfast - I had to ask for "over easy" which was still far from satisfactory (the expression does not exist in English English). To me this was literally a basic faux pas. Had there been any element of UK training in Cunard, they would have known to thoroughly cook the white and the top of the yolk while leaving the middle of the yolk runny, all without turning the egg over. I knew this from age four. Then I am British.

The fried egg is symbolic of the whole Cunard experience. It is about as far from British or European service or tastes as California, by no coincidence.

Whether you like them or not, MSC are genuinely Italian and exploit this mercilessly in their whole onboard experience: food, wine, service, decor, music and attitude. I have lived in Milan and Turin and the MSC experience takes me straight back to Italy right down to the authentic pizzas and the cheeky chatter-chat with the maitre d's.

MSC's over-the-top Italian theme is not designed to make Europeans feel comfortable but rather be the Italian idea of an Italian theme park. MSC's authentic Italian to Cunard's fake British.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I think the best way for of describing Cunard is the American idea of a Bristish cruise line - a sort of British theme park at sea for Americans. I had no idea at the time that Cunard was even trying to be British or in any way European. The language, food, menus, service style, everything, the whole experience to me was distinctly U.S..

Whether you like them or not, MSC are genuinely Italian and exploit this mercilessly in their whole onboard experience: food, wine, service, decor, music and attitude. I have lived in Milan and Turin and the MSC experience takes me straight back to Italy right down to the authentic pizzas and the cheeky chatter-chat with the maitre d's.

MSC's over-the-top Italian theme is not designed to make Europeans feel comfortable but rather be the Italian idea of an Italian theme park. MSC's authentic Italian to Cunard's fake British.

Well said Skipper Tim - This is the best description I have heard yet

WE agree, well said Tim!

HAL is boring, not European!

Europeans are far more fun than a sleepy HAL cruise!

Cunard is luxury, high priced, and sails with a lot of old, pretentious, well past their glory days babushkas/dadushkas! :D

That Cunard would have in common with HAL!:D

A better name for the 'Glory Days of cruising' would be the 'Fictional Glory days of cruising'!:eek:

The way I have described my experience of Cunard since is that "they don't even know how to fry an egg". To avoid a fried egg coming partly raw on the plate - a truly revolting sight and enough to put me off my breakfast - I had to ask for "over easy" which was still far from satisfactory (the expression does not exist in English English). To me this was literally a basic faux pas. Had there been any element of UK training in Cunard, they would have known to thoroughly cook the white and the top of the yolk while leaving the middle of the yolk runny, all without turning the egg over. I knew this from age four. Then I am British.

I found this fascinating. My mom and her family came to Canada from England after the war when she was 10. I have more British pronunciations and phrases than my peers, but eggs over easy must have been something she picked up early on, because I had no idea that it wasn't a universal term.

I think it is the lazy version - a quick flip to ensure the top is cooked rather than tending to it. Personally, if cooking sunny side up, I put a lid on the pan to make sure the white on top is cooked. I do flip for my daughter, but she wants her yolk hard.

But in our family, we were more apt to have a soft boiled egg with toast soldiers :-)