European Style Cruising

FireEater

WE agree, well said Tim!

HAL is boring, not European!

Europeans are far more fun than a sleepy HAL cruise!

Cunard is luxury, high priced, and sails with a lot of old, pretentious, well past their glory days babushkas/dadushkas! :D

That Cunard would have in common with HAL!:D

A better name for the 'Glory Days of cruising' would be the 'Fictional Glory days of cruising'!:eek:

Are you Russian?

Are you Russian?

No, American born, but my heritage is my grand parents coming to America from Russia in the early 1900's before Communism! I have been to Russia many times in the last 10 years, as my wife's parents, and relatives still live there!:) WE have taken a river cruise on the River Karma, beautiful!:D

I found this fascinating. My mom and her family came to Canada from England after the war when she was 10. I have more British pronunciations and phrases than my peers, but eggs over easy must have been something she picked up early on, because I had no idea that it wasn't a universal term.

I think it is the lazy version - a quick flip to ensure the top is cooked rather than tending to it. Personally, if cooking sunny side up, I put a lid on the pan to make sure the white on top is cooked. I do flip for my daughter, but she wants her yolk hard.

But in our family, we were more apt to have a soft boiled egg with toast soldiers :-)

Eggs easy over is the best!:D

PS putting a lid on pan means cleaning an extra kitchen item for us lazy types!:D Of course you run the risk of breaking the yoke when flipping!:eek:

Hi Tatka,could you please translate for me (to English)the meaning of the title of this song? I know this song from my youth in Czechoslovakia (in Czech),and now I discovered it in cruisetrail's video of the Liberty of the Seas-he uses it so artfully for sail away of the ship...I just love it! I got from him the English name,and from another poster the Russian name in azbuka which I can read but do not understand the second word.

Sorry to bother here :o but I am obsessed with this song and would like to know as much as I can about it.

Those Were The Days (Дорогой длинною) - Manca Izmajlova - YouTube

Thank you very much:)

Edited by cruisingcanadian

I think the best way for of describing Cunard is the American idea of a Bristish cruise line - a sort of British theme park at sea for Americans. I had no idea at the time that Cunard was even trying to be British or in any way European. The language, food, menus, service style, everything, the whole experience to me was distinctly U.S..

The way I have described my experience of Cunard since is that "they don't even know how to fry an egg". To avoid a fried egg coming partly raw on the plate - a truly revolting sight and enough to put me off my breakfast - I had to ask for "over easy" which was still far from satisfactory (the expression does not exist in English English). To me this was literally a basic faux pas. Had there been any element of UK training in Cunard, they would have known to thoroughly cook the white and the top of the yolk while leaving the middle of the yolk runny, all without turning the egg over. I knew this from age four. Then I am British.

The fried egg is symbolic of the whole Cunard experience. It is about as far from British or European service or tastes as California, by no coincidence.

Whether you like them or not, MSC are genuinely Italian and exploit this mercilessly in their whole onboard experience: food, wine, service, decor, music and attitude. I have lived in Milan and Turin and the MSC experience takes me straight back to Italy right down to the authentic pizzas and the cheeky chatter-chat with the maitre d's.

MSC's over-the-top Italian theme is not designed to make Europeans feel comfortable but rather be the Italian idea of an Italian theme park. MSC's authentic Italian to Cunard's fake British.

I prefer European style of sea travel. That's why Cunard (QM2, QE), HAL (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam) and Princess (most Grand Class ships) products are on top of my cruising list. Your miles may vary.

I found cruising experience on the Divina "low cost style" cruising rather than "European".

Edited by cruisetrail

Hi Tatka,could you please translate for me (to English)the meaning of the title of this song? I know this song from my youth in Czechoslovakia (in Czech),and now I discovered it in cruisetrail's video of the Liberty of the Seas-he uses it so artfully for sail away of the ship...I just love it! I got from him the English name,and from another poster the Russian name in azbuka which I can read but do not understand the second word.

Sorry to bother here :o but I am obsessed with this song and would like to know as much as I can about it.

(Дорогой длинною)= 'a long way' or 'a long road'

Old Russian Gypsy song!

Skipper Tim, I've never sailed Cunard, so I can't comment. But I am curious enough to ask you a question: Is there any mass market cruise line that you truly like? If yes, which one and why?

Yes, all I have so far experienced. I love travelling. I am a tart to low prices but still appreciate the finer things. If I see an under-priced flight to somewhere, my instinctive reaction is to see what can be done with it. If I see an under-priced cruise or hotel, the same research then goes into flights. Getting that quality to cost ratio right is an art form I have worked on most of my life.

Regardless, cruising is a joy and a privilege my grandparents would never have thought possible. If just one of them were here for me to treat....

I like MSC not because the line is the end-all in terms of quality, it isn't, but because they have offered very good value repositioning cruises to solo travellers in the past AND are hard to fault. That is a winning combination to me.

However, I remain open-minded and willing to try any line or indeed hotel as an alternative to a cruise, as I am about to do.

Why do you ask?

Edited by Skipper Tim

I prefer European style of sea travel. That's why Cunard (QM2, QE), HAL (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam) and Princess (most Grand Class ships) products are on top of my cruising list. Your miles may vary.

I found cruising experience on the Divina "low cost style" cruising rather than "European".

Would disagree,

Cunard way over priced, and not European,

HAL not worth the money, and not European,

Princess on sale a good deal, not on sale overpriced,

Divina best cruise deal in the Caribbean!:)

Edited by American Bear

I found this fascinating.

---

Personally, if cooking sunny side up, I put a lid on the pan to make sure the white on top is cooked.

That's the way to do it!

The old way was to ladle the fat over the top. Hot steam under the lid does a healthier job.

"Sunny side up" though is also dubious English.

The long war between those who preferred to break their boiled egg at the little end and those at the big end was not productive. We should collectively learn from past mistakes, no matter how hard that may be.

No, American born, but my heritage is my grand parents coming to America from Russia in the early 1900's before Communism! I have been to Russia many times in the last 10 years, as my wife's parents, and relatives still live there!:) WE have taken a river cruise on the River Karma, beautiful!:D

I love your babushkas, dedushkas. :) I am Ukrainian, well Soviet born Russian-Jewish. :)

River cruising is fun, different but fun.

I would translate. Дорога длиною в жизнь - as Life long road. :)

MSC is Europezn, you can not deny that, they practice European business practices. it is not overpriced, but great value.

We do not dance and do not dress formal. We like diversity amoung our fellow passengers, a mix of young and old including children. MSC is a family based product. from the reviews posted here, QM2 is aging and nit gracefully, the spa has not been fully functional for awhile for example.

Glad you like HAL, Princess, and Cunard , if that is so why are you spending so much time here?

1) Sophisticated queuing techniques (no lines required)

2) Subtle signalling to waiter staff (no words required)

3) Exotic menu descriptions (poor translations)

4) Latino 'atmosphere' (chaos)

5) 2nd World War spirit (some don't know it's over)

6) Italian theme (more so than Italy)

7) Smartly dressed (they chose not to buy houses instead)

8) Relaxed (no rules obeyed)

9) Musical (because there are too many languages for words)

10) Egalitarian (all the cabins are small)

Bull's Eye. So funny!!! LOL

Yes, all I have so far experienced. I love travelling. I am a tart to low prices but still appreciate the finer things. If I see an under-priced flight to somewhere, my instinctive reaction is to see what can be done with it. If I see an under-priced cruise or hotel, the same research then goes into flights. Getting that quality to cost ratio right is an art form I have worked on most of my life.

Regardless, cruising is a joy and a privilege my grandparents would never have thought possible. If just one of them were here for me to treat....

I like MSC not because the line is the end-all in terms of quality, it isn't, but because they have offered very good value repositioning cruises to solo travellers in the past AND are hard to fault. That is a winning combination to me.

However, I remain open-minded and willing to try any line or indeed hotel as an alternative to a cruise, as I am about to do.

Why do you ask?

I asked because I somehow had the impression that you disliked MSC. I suspect that my impression was inaccurate. No offense to you was intended.

In fact, reading your reply is nearly EXACTLY how I select most of our travel adventures. And how we just spent a surprisingly enjoyable week on The Divina for $299 pp upgraded to a balcony (we nearly always book inside gty and have never had a balcony in our 16+ cruises). $12 per bottle of wine (on the prepurchased dinner wine package) made that trip even sweeter.

Earlier this summer, I found a $79 round trip airfare, so we spent a terrific long weekend in (wait for it) CLEVELAND. Seriously! Probably the most underated city we've ever visited.

Finding joy in travel does not require paying huge dollars. Or putting on airs about 'European style' cruising. For us, it's all about value versus the costs, and personal attitude.

Edited by jkgourmet

I asked because I somehow had the impression that you disliked MSC. I suspect that my impression was inaccurate. No offense to you was intended.

None taken. I had to ask to clarify the question - that's all.

In fact, reading your reply is nearly EXACTLY how I select most of our travel adventures. And how we just spent a surprisingly enjoyable week on The Divina for $299 pp upgraded to a balcony (we nearly always book inside gty and have never had a balcony in our 16+ cruises). $12 per bottle of wine (on the prepurchased dinner wine package) made that trip even sweeter.

Earlier this summer, I found a $79 round trip airfare, so we spent a terrific long weekend in (wait for it) CLEVELAND. Seriously! Probably the most underated city we've ever visited.

Finding joy in travel does not require paying huge dollars. Or putting on airs about 'European style' cruising. For us, it's all about value versus the costs, and personal attitude.

Exactly! Well, I don't mind putting on the airs if they don't add to the price:).

No, I am a fan of MSC. I am a little annoyed that MSC UK currently won't let solo travellers book at any price. I put this down to the current management which will surely pass on before too long.

I look forward to my next MSC adventure!

I love MSC, but I am not sure that very low pricing is the best thing. Yes it allows us to enjoy balcony for a very low price, but it also changes clientele ... a lot. At least in cruises from Florida. On Poesia last March it was less visible than on Divina month ago.

I love MSC, but I am not sure that very low pricing is the best thing. Yes it allows us to enjoy balcony for a very low price, but it also changes clientele ... a lot. At least in cruises from Florida. On Poesia last March it was less visible than on Divina month ago.

The trick is always to ensure that you are paying less than everyone else :).

Seriously, my introduction to cruising was a last-minute bargain on the under-subscribed first leg of QE2's World cruise, Southampton to New York. We paid £365 including flight back from New York to London. We were mixing with people who had paid over £100,000 for the full World cruise and at least £9,000 each to share the lowliest inside. The company was very entertaining although I did feel rather like Jack Dawson invited to the first class restaurant!

Edited by Skipper Tim

I agree 100%.

But I wish MSC did not have to resort of o bargain pricing. We would have paid more or stayed in insides.

Yeah...I agree. I prefer to be the small fish in the big pond myself.

Hopefully, if my Dec cruise goes well, we'll do the Panama Canal next fall. The prices look higher for that one so maybe "bargain days" are gone.

Yeah...I agree. I prefer to be the small fish in the big pond myself.

Hopefully, if my Dec cruise goes well, we'll do the Panama Canal next fall. The prices look higher for that one so maybe "bargain days" are gone.

Hi MsTabbyKats,does MSC have a ship sailing Panama Canal? I would consider it too for 2015;I did PC last year,and want to return- it was one of my most memorable cruises:).

Hi MsTabbyKats,does MSC have a ship sailing Panama Canal? I would consider it too for 2015;I did PC last year,and want to return- it was one of my most memorable cruises:).

Yes...the Divina sails on 11/11/15...for 10 nights from Miami.

I'm just hoping DH likes "the European" cruise...lol.

I told him about warm milk for coffee at the buffet, no hairy chest contests, Brazilian women in bikinis, Israeli security (he's Israeli)...etc....so it may be a good fit.:)

WOOPS...it goes to Panama...but I don't think it sails thru the canal

Edited by MsTabbyKats