Your Best Cruise Ever

Now this is a hard one as each cruise has special memories.

I think I have to say the one we have just completed on the new Regal Princess would rate no 1. The Itinerary was amazing. The Baltic's to Iceland to Britain, transatlantic crossing to Canada finishing in New York.

Second would be Barcelona to Singapore through the Suez Canal which fulfilled my dreams to visit the pyramids and Petra.

Third, South America to Miami, where my highlights were The Falkland Islands and Rio.

Looking back it's definitely not about the ship in my choices, it's about the destinations.

Some great itineraries there, totally agree about the destination rather than the ship.:D

I'm not saying this is better than the listed cruises as of course it's all based on personal opinion, but our favourite cruise was from Southampton to Sydney around South America. Absolutely sensational and well worth it. The trip through the Chilean Fjords and sailing around Cape Horn was amazing. Would love to do it again but there are so many other cruises and so little time!

#2 would be sailing around the Indian Ocean to Cape Town.

#3 the rest - but all enjoyable :D

Your #1 sounds fantastic.

Very hard to pick as they all have differing appeals but right now - our Antarctica cruise. Blew my mind, I had high expectations and it still exceeded them.:D

That's on my bucket list, but as we can't fly I need to find a cruise there and back, or one from Aus.

TLC Ohio, cannot believe you haven't taken far more cruises. Your photos and reviews have been nothing short of spectacular. Thanks to you and a few others, I finally got to Europe last year after 19 cruises. Hands down, the most magical cruise ever. We are hoping to return in 2016 but overwhelmed with so many wonderful choices. On the top of our lists are Florence, Croatia, Kotor, London, Istanbul , Le Havre and Venice. Wouldn't mind sailing back to Barcelona, Rome or Ephesus. In all likelihood, we will repeat Italy and hope to add some new ports of call. Enjoy your cruise and cannot wait to see your fabulous photos.

bazshirl2: Thanks Terry for those stunning pics. Barry

MicCanberra: Agreed' date=' brings back some fond memories [/quote']

Appreciate these nice comments and encouragement from such smart Cruise Critic posters. YES, will bring back some nice visuals from doing our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days!

YES, it is great to have these memories. Great idea for a discussion thread. Wonderful point by celebrity on the wisdom of doing sailings in Europe and other unique parts of the world. Fortunately, the cruise industry is expanding its offerings and being creative with its options and locations. Some are happy just to "float on a boat", but many, including us, are driven by being able to see special places in a time-efficient and enjoyable manner as offered by cruises.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 185,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As a 14yo my first cruise was with my family on the Fedor Shalyapin (sp?) from Brisbane to Vila, Suva and Auckland.

I loved the whole 'ship thing' from the moment I stepped onboard (and it was a pretty ordinary ship!) but it took me over 25 years to do it again - Celebrity Infinity Ice and Fire from Vancouver to Honolulu. Amazing ship, great itinerary. Lifelong friends made.

We've now taken seven cruises (including one two nighter on Sun Princess) on six different lines, although our most recent wasn't with a 'line' as such.

My favourite so far was on the Rotterdam from Venice to Rio over 25 nights. Very closely followed by our most recent cruise on The World from Papeete to Auckland. My least favourite - Sun Princess Fijian Jewels - was still a great holiday. It just didn't compare to any of our other cruises.

Next year we're back on The World again for another three and a bit weeks - Iceland to Canada (Montreal) with a two week Greenland Expedition thrown in. Maybe it will become our favourite?

Pete

Edited by newfarmers

Next year we're back on The World again for another three and a bit weeks - Iceland to Canada (Montreal) with a two week Greenland Expedition thrown in. Maybe it will become our favourite?

Pete

You are very lucky and even if it doesn't become your favourite, I am sure it will be wonderful.:D

Your #1 sounds fantastic.

Indeed it was! The whole itinerary was fantastic. We also stopped at Tenerife in the Canary Islands on our way across to Brazil and loved that too. Also sailed past Easter Is close enough to see the statues and we anchored off Pitcairn Is while the locals came aboard to sell T-****s, postcards etc. Of course it was a bonus ending up in Sydney where we were living at the time so that meant only a flight one way.

Oh the memories....:D

I would highly recommend a cruise around South America. It was on my bucket list and was better than expectations.

There are some great sounding cruises turning up in this thread!

My best was either my first [which got us hooked].

My last [because it was the most recent]

Or the next [because I can't wait]

But as with most things the first is always special.

Summed up perfectly!!, We have loved them all.

Must mention the wonderful Sailaways from 2 Scottish Ports, Greenock & Kirkwall, we just love those Bagpipes and the friendliness of the people.

My first cruise atw was my best cruise. It set the benchmark for all my future cruising. That wonder of being up on deck, in the half light, waiting to cruise into the next new destination has never left me!

Yes yes yes!! A great feeling.

Wow you've been cruising longer than I've been alive...

And I ain't no spring chicken!

Edited by Hazydavo

Yes yes yes!! A great feeling.

Wow you've been cruising longer than I've been alive...

And I ain't no spring chicken!

And I didn't start cruising when I was really young either! :)

In my youth, adventurous travellers, like myself, went to NZ, WA and the GBR islands.

First cruise in 1966 on RIL Tjiwangi to Japan and Hong Kong. (Photo in avatar and in signature).

And then - we didn't cruise again till 2006...

What is it they say - "Cruising is for the newly wed and nearly dead"? :D

It was once but not any more, now it is for everyone, just pick and choose which cruise line you want to go with. (i.e Carnival vs Crystal).:D

It was once but not any more, now it is for everyone, just pick and choose which cruise line you want to go with. (i.e Carnival vs Crystal).:D

Yes, we did travel a lot in the forty years (and lived overseas too) between our first cruise in 1966 and our second in 2006 - just not travelling on the water. Then... a friend dragged us on that 2006 cruise -and of course we got hooked...Haven't been on either Carnival or Crystal yet, though....Guess we have travelled under the Carnival umbrella as we've been on Princess and Cunard - hard to avoid the shadow of Carnival Corp...:D

Thanks everyone for the cruise "bests" posted here, lots of inspiration...

Yes, we did travel a lot in the forty years (and lived overseas too) between our first cruise in 1966 and our second in 2006 - just not travelling on the water. Then... a friend dragged us on that 2006 cruise -and of course we got hooked...Haven't been on either Carnival or Crystal yet, though....Guess we have travelled under the Carnival umbrella as we've been on Princess and Cunard - hard to avoid the shadow of Carnival Corp...:D

Thanks everyone for the cruise "bests" posted here, lots of inspiration...

I haven't either, (just using reputation, price and reviews) it is just an illustration that some cruise lines are like chalk and cheese.

One is for the mass market family fun/adventure type cruise (with zip lines and rock walls, etc,) and the other is an more expensive all inclusive type experience without the gimmicks.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was as a 12 year old when my grandpa's took my sister and I on a Christmas cruise to Fiji. That was 1966 and I was a cruise convert from then. So far my favorite would have to be Alaska from Vancouver to the Hubbard Glacier. NZ South Island Sounds was amazing too. Like most cruisers the next cruise is always going to be the best = January on Celebrity Silhouette for a Western Caribbean cruise. This cruise is to celebrate my 60th and I am traveling with a DD and SIL. They did the same ship in the Mediterranean 2 years ago. They loved it and have booked the same suite with me next door. For me it is as much about the ship as the ports and I can't wait to experience this ship, I have heard such good things about her.

Boy my wife things I'm a ship nerd:D I am nothing compared to you guys.

My benchmark for best cruise destination would be the one thing I tell people about the most and without a doubt it's a tie.

1)Traversing the Panama Canal Celebrity Infinity and QM2 the ship was the destination ( Gee whiz we ended up back here in Sydney :D)

2)Then my first sail away party Celebrity Galaxy Mediterranean ( that crew could put on a show)

3) Busan South Korea and Taipei 101 Diamond Princess

Of course, 'best cruise' is very subjective, but ours is, without a doubt, POA's Hawaiian cruise, The sail by of the lava flow off the Big Island into the ocean (ship stops, lights off, prayer and songs to Pele by Hawaiian ambassador), the sail by of the Napali coast (think Lost, Jurassic Park) with whale and dolphin sitings, the beaches, the music - nothing less than spectacular.