M class new A1 balcony doors - bungee cord length?

ghstudio

Ok, here's my experience to some of these questions.

We've been in regular M-class afts, and when you were out on the balcony, sometimes the handle would slip down into the locked position, and yes you were then stuck out there. We used to stick a magazine in the door, and that worked both to keep it shut and prevent it from locking.

Recently on the new 11th floor AQ balconies, the door was newer and it did not slip down into this locked position. (since the doors did seem identical to the old CC doors, I would think over time they will loosen up and have this droopy handle problem). However, it would not stay shut and unlocked, when you were out on your balcony the door did slide and slam from side to side depending on the movement of the ship. Using a bungee cord or the magazine would stop this from happening.

Since I've been in both CC M-afts and now an M-AQ aft, I can say that the cabins we've had have been virtually identical in both layout and size. The difference has been in the size of the balconies. The AQ balconies, aft, on 11, are smaller than those in the M class afts on decks 7 and 8. Much has been written about which aft cabins are the "best", and we loved our choice of 1138. Even though it was smaller than our usual 7208, we realized that you really did not need the huge, deep 7208 balcony to be happy :). We realized that the 7208 balcony really gave a "tunnel-vision" view, and that you didn't need 4 loungers, 2 chairs and 2 tables for two people.

We also liked the overhang better in 1138 - it was solid, so you didn't have that "gap in the canvas" problem that caused much of 7208 to get wet from the rain.

This is ONLY in reference to the aft cabins, I have never been in one on the side either in CC or AQ.

Hi WARMWINDS,

I really appreciate this post / analysis.

Looks like you & I like the same cabins on M-Class Ships.

We loved 7206 on The Summit, and are looking at returning to it or one nearby for a future cruise M-Ship Cruise. You have described the situation well... So I feel confident now that your description of the A1s will prove meaningful to us

Thanks

Cheers!

Sloop, you will love AQ. I am so glad we went out a limb and booked a second cruise in 1138 before we even took this one.

Some minor cabin tweaks different from the CC's - the phone is on the wall, freeing up space on the tiny nightstands. And there is also a magazine rack on the wall, freeing up space in that shelving unit thingie where we stuff everything. And in the CC's, the chair was that really heavy to move upholstered one? Well in AQ it's a much lighter and smaller wooden-backed chair, gives a little more room around the living area.

Enjoy!

I understand that the balcony doors on the new A1's on deck 11 of the M class ships slide a bit too easily and they can slam open or shut. The suggestion is to take a bungee cord to stop this....but I haven't been able to find anyone suggesting how long that bungee cord should be.....they come in all sizes.

All this discussion and it doesn't look like anyone answered your original question. On our cruise I used a bungee that was about 8" unstretched and it worked fine.

Sent from my 831C using Forums mobile app

All this discussion and it doesn't look like anyone answered your original question. On our cruise I used a bungee that was about 8" unstretched and it worked fine.

Finally, an answer :) thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol, we all just waiting for the right person to come along... ;)

Thanks JIMHAM4 :D

Know that your info will help a lot of us here in ths topic besides GHSTUDIO

I too now will be packing along said bungee cord

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Lol, we all just waiting for the right person to come along... ;)

Thanks JIMHAM4 :D

Know that your info will help a lot of us here in ths topic besides GHSTUDIO

I too now will be packing along said bungee cord

Cheers!

Yes, it's important you have the right length for the motion of the ocean :p

Thank you for this information. I am still a little confused. Can anyone clarify whether there are similar problems with the balcony doors sliding shut and locking you out on Deck 9 of Connie. A2 cabin not A1. 9054 to be exact. I will be sailing in three weeks.

I do not want to get stuck outside alone!!!:eek:

I got locked on on deck 9. They are the old style doors with nothing to grab onto easily to close the door when walking onto the balcony. It is easier to grab the inside handle and close the door. In the process you may pull the handle up or down into the locking mode and as the door closes the locking pin will engage into the threshold thus locking you out. There is no handle on the outside of the door, there is a very small recess instead of a knob or handle. It is a very poor design. Just make sure that you don't pull the handle into the locking position when closing the door. I dont remember what the position is but the handle moves a locking pin in the bottom of the door that engages into a hole in the threshold. When you get your cabin have someone stay inside and give it a try and you will be able to see what I am referring to.

On the new cabins on deck 11 they have installed the newer style doors that are on the S class. There is a handle on both sides and the doors operate completely different.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Bungee will be packed for our cruise, we have 1138 on the Connie this coming Feb.

We're in that cabin the last week of January. Did the same cabin last year too, and left my bungee behind. Doubt it's still there but I'll leave one behind again this time too.

We're in that cabin the last week of January. Did the same cabin last year too, and left my bungee behind. Doubt it's still there but I'll leave one behind again this time too.

Put it behind the safe or maybe the headboard?

Give me a place to look and I will in Feb.:D

I got locked on on deck 9. They are the old style doors with nothing to grab onto easily to close the door when walking onto the balcony. It is easier to grab the inside handle and close the door. In the process you may pull the handle up or down into the locking mode and as the door closes the locking pin will engage into the threshold thus locking you out. There is no handle on the outside of the door, there is a very small recess instead of a knob or handle. It is a very poor design. Just make sure that you don't pull the handle into the locking position when closing the door. I dont remember what the position is but the handle moves a locking pin in the bottom of the door that engages into a hole in the threshold. When you get your cabin have someone stay inside and give it a try and you will be able to see what I am referring to.

On the new cabins on deck 11 they have installed the newer style doors that are on the S class. There is a handle on both sides and the doors operate completely different.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you for this information. I will be very careful with that door.

I understand that the balcony doors on the new A1's on deck 11 of the M class ships slide a bit too easily and they can slam open or shut. The suggestion is to take a bungee cord to stop this....but I haven't been able to find anyone suggesting how long that bungee cord should be.....they come in all sizes.

Buy straight bungee cord w/o a hook and also buy 2 hooks. Then either cut the bungee cord to length or let the excess hang so that you use it for other uses. Simple solution.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 3 months later...

Using a small (6" thin) bungee and it seems fine but would need something thicker in rough seas. I'll leave it behind the safe when we leave. BTW, the hinges on the two cabinets at the desk are broken. I reported it but don't know how long til it will be fixed.

Happy cruising!!

Using a small (6" thin) bungee and it seems fine but would need something thicker in rough seas. I'll leave it behind the safe when we leave. BTW, the hinges on the two cabinets at the desk are broken. I reported it but don't know how long til it will be fixed.

Happy cruising!!

Have a wonderful cruise! I will look forward it in less than a month...

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd check in to see if you cruised yet. I left the bungee cord tucked in next to the safe, couldn't get behind since it was bolted to the wall.

Just an FYI, I will ALWAYS bungee cord my door in the future. My wife was locked out on the balcony when the door slid shut behind her (the handle had been in the open position when she stepped out). Stupid that there is no way to open the door from the outside, or even secure it from sliding back and forth while you are out on your balcony.

Thought I'd check in to see if you cruised yet. I left the bungee cord tucked in next to the safe, couldn't get behind since it was bolted to the wall.

Just an FYI, I will ALWAYS bungee cord my door in the future. My wife was locked out on the balcony when the door slid shut behind her (the handle had been in the open position when she stepped out). Stupid that there is no way to open the door from the outside, or even secure it from sliding back and forth while you are out on your balcony.

We are on the Feb. 21st sailing, hope it still there!

With the cruise before ours being a "clothing optional" cruise there might be a complete top to bottom cleaning and it might disappear!

BTW loving the review and ready for some awesome sunsets leaving KW;).

I will make sure to use the Bungee or if nothing else the belt from the robe!:eek: